Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newby - First Harley!

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2013 | 02:39 PM
jruffy
Novice

Congrats on your good health!
I rode dirt bikes growing up and always wanted a Harley.took the class 20 years later and my first bike was a 1600 Vulcan classic.talk about a heavy bike!don't worry about the weight,just take your time getting used to it.I think the fat boy lo is a great bike to start and believe you won't be sorry.love my deluxe,one day hope to add a DB to the garage.have fun and build your confidence and the skills will follow.

Old 05-24-2013 | 02:50 PM
dloreski
Cruiser

Originally Posted by jruffy
Congrats on your good health!
I rode dirt bikes growing up and always wanted a Harley.took the class 20 years later and my first bike was a 1600 Vulcan classic.talk about a heavy bike!don't worry about the weight,just take your time getting used to it.I think the fat boy lo is a great bike to start and believe you won't be sorry.love my deluxe,one day hope to add a DB to the garage.have fun and build your confidence and the skills will follow.
Wow, sounds just like my story!
I grew up racing motocross from 8-16 and then after I got my drivers license, never wanted a street bike.
I've had the Harley bug on and off for the last 3 years and sat on every bike at the dealer but couldn't test ride because I never got my motorcycle license.
Took the course and 2 days later had a new FB Lo delivered.
One of the best things I've ever done. I'm a workaholic and it's my getaway from it all.
Put about 150 back road miles on until I tried the highway.
I'm at about 2,500 now and I couldn't have picked a better bike to start on.
All the bikes feel so different and this one really did fit me perfect!

Old 05-24-2013 | 04:28 PM
uklauren
Florida Crew Moderator

Originally Posted by dyolfknip
Not only are you NOT old, but you are definitely cool as shiat in my book!!! Rock on sister...

aww, thank you that makes me feel good.

Old 05-24-2013 | 04:36 PM
Car Doc
Road Master

Originally Posted by uklauren
Oh and I'm a 5'5" old woman!! (mid 50s which I guess is kinda old).
I am closer to 60 than 50 myself I say we are not old - we have experience yes. Ride safe young lady.

Old 05-25-2013 | 10:50 PM
Mr. Ego
|
Intermediate

You are truly outstanding - so here is the update: Fat Boy Lo is all paid for, will be accepting delivery in two weeks. I've had really hard time focusing at work or anything like that - BEYOND excited about this bike....

I can tell you that my confidence level is significant after all of your help. However, I have 120% respect for the bike and the power. I think I have some sort of a plan for slow maneuvering exercises once it gets here. I have been watching some of those on the internet - and can think of a few to execute once it gets here.

I should be able to post pictures from the dealership on Tuesday - will go inspect the V&H pipes, etc.... otherwise - once it gets here will take some nice photos and post those for you all.

Once again - you guys are totally awesome! Thanks for lifting my spirits and congratulating me on the cancer as well. Glad to be your fellow Rider!

Cheers ya'll....
JJ

Old 05-25-2013 | 11:05 PM
heritageblue2013
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by Mr. Ego
Hello Everyone,

I have never been on a bike before, I am a bicycle rider, I was diagnosed with Testicular Cancer last year at 36 and I vouched if I felt better I would accomplish one of my life dreams of learning how to Ride and buying my first Harley.

Well - I am in perfect condition, just took the MSF class and in the process of buying my first Harley! I wanted to run by this group a few things:

First started looking for a few 2010 through 2012... Even when I knew nothing about Harley, fell in-love with the Fat Boy Lo for some reason. Now that I learned the basics of riding I like it even more.

As we stand - I feel that I managed to make a steel deal on a 2013 Fat Boy Lo... And wanted some validation that I am on the right track.

1) Is it a bad idea for me to start on a Fat Boy Lo?
2) I worked a complete deal delivered door to door for $18000 for the following options:

- 2013 Fat Boy Lo, Brand New in Denim Black
- Security Option: ABS + Security
- Vance & Hines Pipes, Flat Black Big 2 in 2 Radius "Love Those Pipes"
- Engine Guard

Can you guys please look at these and let me know what you think?
Also - seem to be intimidated by a couple of things, just getting on the road and all the trash talking from some of my friends that are intellectual VP professionals that are Suzuki Riders... trying to understand the politics behind it all...

I am a BMW enthusiast in cars owned M5, M3, etc... so is it similar to that world where the haters that can't afford it "don't want to pay for the good product" ...

Thanks and look forward to being your fellow rider.
Keep two on the road!

Regards,
JJ
I on my second Harley, 2013 Heritage. Guys are always bashing my bike saying old technology, terrible handling etc. I tell them that if Chevy built a 1955 again the same way they did in 1955, a lot of people would buy them even though they handle like crap, etc. Well I like my Heritage because it's like the bike's of the 40's and 50's. Ive got a guy at work that is always saying he can beat me through any corner and he can leave me behind. I just say great, Im not looking to race this bike, just cruise and see Colorado. If your a BMW fan, look at it the same way, you just bought a 55 Chevy because you want the style etc.
One thing I can tell you is park your bike next to their Suzuki at a bar or Starbucks and sit back and watch what bike gets the attention. I have done just that and my friend get's pissed off and starts bashing Harley's. I then tell him I could push mine here and you could ride yours and my Harley would still get more attention.

Old 05-25-2013 | 11:17 PM
Rootro
Road Warrior

Hello Everyone,

I have never been on a bike before, I am a bicycle rider, I was diagnosed with Testicular Cancer last year at 36 and I vouched if I felt better I would accomplish one of my life dreams of learning how to Ride and buying my first Harley.

Well - I am in perfect condition, just took the MSF class and in the process of buying my first Harley! I wanted to run by this group a few things:

First started looking for a few 2010 through 2012... Even when I knew nothing about Harley, fell in-love with the Fat Boy Lo for some reason. Now that I learned the basics of riding I like it even more.

As we stand - I feel that I managed to make a steel deal on a 2013 Fat Boy Lo... And wanted some validation that I am on the right track.

1) Is it a bad idea for me to start on a Fat Boy Lo?
2) I worked a complete deal delivered door to door for $18000 for the following options:

- 2013 Fat Boy Lo, Brand New in Denim Black
- Security Option: ABS + Security
- Vance & Hines Pipes, Flat Black Big 2 in 2 Radius "Love Those Pipes"
- Engine Guard

Can you guys please look at these and let me know what you think?
Also - seem to be intimidated by a couple of things, just getting on the road and all the trash talking from some of my friends that are intellectual VP professionals that are Suzuki Riders... trying to understand the politics behind it all...

I am a BMW enthusiast in cars owned M5, M3, etc... so is it similar to that world where the haters that can't afford it "don't want to pay for the good product" ...

Thanks and look forward to being your fellow rider.
Keep two on the road!

Regards,
JJ
Sounds like you got a real fair deal. I know people that have paid $18,000 for a Fatboy Lo, without any of the extras that you got. Enjoy.

Old 05-25-2013 | 11:55 PM
_Gir_
Road Warrior

Do it. My first bike was a brand new Fatboy.

I took the MSF course and then had my bike delivered to the house. I spent about 100 miles trolling around the neighborhood and practicing the basics in my local church parking lot.

Then one day I drove it to work and the rest was history.

Old 05-29-2013 | 01:02 AM
Mr. Ego
|
Intermediate

And here it is @ the dealership ladies and gents!!! Sat on it after going through the transaction - feels like mine! It talks to me

Old 05-29-2013 | 08:21 AM
Smileman
Tourer

And here it is @ the dealership ladies and gents!!! Sat on it after going through the transaction - feels like mine! It talks to me

Beautiful bike! Do yourself a favor and don't let anyone talk you into taking off the reflectors.

Quick Reply: Newby - First Harley!