Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newby - First Harley!

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2013 | 07:20 AM
Josewales
Road Warrior

Oh and dont daydream at intersections...they are out to kill you A few times I got cut off and had my escape route planned. Also good breaking habits...you can stop fast, but when you dont share the rear break with the front properly....face plant! 30% of your breaking comes from the rear, therefore its easy to over react and break mostly with your front. Why good habits can save the day. A rider I know broke a couple ribs a couple years ago because he panicked at an intersection and forgot to use the rear break...over he went.

Old 05-21-2013 | 11:01 AM
WhiteNoise
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Josewales
A rider I know broke a couple ribs a couple years ago because he panicked at an intersection and forgot to use the rear break...over he went.

How does anyone 'forget' to use one of their brakes? LOL too funny.

Oh well crazier **** has happened.

Old 05-21-2013 | 12:11 PM
SoftailBrian
Outstanding HDF Member

Depends on who it is. I don't get in a pssing contest with anybody over what kind of bike they or I ride. If it's someone that takes stuff personally, this is how it usually goes.
Why a Harley? You got something to prove? or something along those lines. My response would be, nice Suzuki, Yamaha, Honda. or whatever they have.
If it's someone that likes to prank or joke around, don't say anything. When you see there bike in the parking lot, pour some rice under it and go inside and tell them there bike is leaking.
As for the bike, Fatboy was the first Harley I really fell for. Congrats on kicking cancers ***.

Old 05-23-2013 | 09:31 PM
kryczech
Stage IV

Like the OP I'm basically completely new to motorcycles. I rode some dirt bikes when I was a kid and conned someone into letting my try out his motorcycle in college, but it's been 20+ years since I was on anything.

Well, two weeks ago I took the Rider's Edge new rider training (MSF approved class). And last week I bought a Softail Slim. I just got it delivered on Tuesday. Like the OP, I had read lots about getting a smaller bike first, so I was kind of worried to start on the Slim.

I've only had it a couple of days and I'm a complete newbie, so I thought I would share my experience. First, it is heavy ... a lot heavier than those Buell's I learned on. I had to take the day off today from riding because my legs were sore.

I've almost dropped it twice. Well, maybe not almost, but twice now I've suddenly noticed when I stopped I'm putting a lot of effort into keeping the bike up. However, both times were at the same stop where it's a steep hill with a sharp curve to the right and a stop at the bottom - the bike tries to fall over to the left. I'm going to keep practicing on that one to figure out what my problem is.

Almost all of the miles of put on it so far have been in my neighborhood. We've got cul-de-sacs that are great for low speed maneuvers, speed humps (not bumps) that are good for learning to ride over things, and access to a big church parking lot. The parking lot is great for learning the clutch (easy) and throttle (harder). There's even a short run onto the main road where you only have to be in traffic for 30 seconds or less, but can get up to 50-60 mph.

All in all, I'm glad I'm learning on the Slim. It's definitely a big step from nothing to this bike, but it's going well. I'm all about safety and taking it slow. If I had a smaller bike, I might be tempted to run before I could walk. With this one, I'm certainly going to master walking first - I'm old enough to not throw caution to the wind.

-Brad

Old 05-23-2013 | 09:58 PM
Harley_Charley
Road Master

Good for you! Don't worry about what others say.....be you and ride it like you stole it. I'm 37 and just bought my first Harley as well (2013 HD Breakout). I was riding an 89 Sportster my Dad left me a few years ago in his will but it's too small of a bike for me. I'm happy with my decision!

Old 05-24-2013 | 11:57 AM
Smileman
Tourer

[quote=kryczech;11328721

I've almost dropped it twice. Well, maybe not almost, but twice now I've suddenly noticed when I stopped I'm putting a lot of effort into keeping the bike up. However, both times were at the same stop where it's a steep hill with a sharp curve to the right and a stop at the bottom - the bike tries to fall over to the left. I'm going to keep practicing on that one to figure out what my problem is.

-Brad[/quote]

When you come to that stop, or any stop for that matter, make sure your front tire is pointed straight ahead. If you try to come to a stop with the handlebars turned one way or the other it makes the bike more unstable. When you are ready to pull away from the stop, don't turn the bars until you are moving. Try that and see if it helps!

Old 05-24-2013 | 12:59 PM
Car Doc
Road Master

Glad to hear you beat cancer good for you! Imho a Softail is the perfect starter bike especially a lo version of any of them. In time you will get a big bike anyway we all do if you start small so get the big easy to ride bike now is my advice.

My first Harley was a Sportster and altho a great bike it was no where near as easy to ride or as comfortable as my Heritage Softail. Again congrats on everything sounds to me you have a good plan!

Old 05-24-2013 | 01:17 PM
dyolfknip
Road Master

I did my MSF a couple years ago.....first bike was an 800 Vulcan with a Bobber "kit":

Loved it....got lots of attention, and was, I THOUGHT, nice to drive. Wife also bought a 1300 VTX around the same time.....so I also drove it.....My Bobber SUCKED on the highway....lots of speed, but I got bullied a lot on the road.....white knuckling became something I just "dealt with".
Ended up selling the Vulcan for exactly what I paid for it and got posted to Germany......Kept driving wifes bike until I saved for this:

Had to drive it untested on the German Autobahn for 300 kms.....it was the best ride I have ever had on a motorcycle......I cant believe how shiatty a ride my Bobber was.....even with the thin tire of the Train, it is NIGHT (pun intended) and day difference......

The best thing about owning the smaller bike before was that I was able to see what it was like......in all honesty, I dont think I would have had much trouble starting on the Harley or something similar.....

Old 05-24-2013 | 02:08 PM
uklauren
Florida Crew Moderator

I bought a Sportster a year ago after 27 years of not riding. I took the MSF course last May sat on some Softails and Dynas at the Dealership and thought OMG these are too big and heavy. Settled on a 1200cc Sporty but traded it 8 weeks later for a Heritage. Took me a few days to get used to the heavier bike and a couple months ago bought myself a CVO Streetglide (also kept the Heritage). I must say the SG has taken me a little longer to feel confident about the weight especially trying to park it but really none of them are a big problem.
Oh and I'm a 5'5" old woman!! (mid 50s which I guess is kinda old).

Old 05-24-2013 | 02:22 PM
dyolfknip
Road Master

Originally Posted by uklauren
I bought a Sportster a year ago after 27 years of not riding. I took the MSF course last May sat on some Softails and Dynas at the Dealership and thought OMG these are too big and heavy. Settled on a 1200cc Sporty but traded it 8 weeks later for a Heritage. Took me a few days to get used to the heavier bike and a couple months ago bought myself a CVO Streetglide (also kept the Heritage). I must say the SG has taken me a little longer to feel confident about the weight especially trying to park it but really none of them are a big problem.
Oh and I'm a 5'5" old woman!! (mid 50s which I guess is kinda old).
Not only are you NOT old, but you are definitely cool as shiat in my book!!! Rock on sister...

Quick Reply: Newby - First Harley!