Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newby - First Harley!

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2013 | 12:04 PM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Glad to hear that you're doing better. I hope you continue on that path!

Personally, I've always hated getting something and wishing I had gotten what I wanted in the first place. And when I do, I feel like I've wasted money on the first one. So...get what YOU want and what you can afford.

Take the safety riding course. It'll help you out in the long run.

Old 05-20-2013 | 12:36 PM
Dark lo
Road Captain

All I can say is may you continue to do well and from one Fat Boy Lo owner to another, may the Lo bring you that much more satisfaction to your life.

Old 05-20-2013 | 01:41 PM
WhiteNoise
Road Captain

You beat cancer so thats awesome.

I think you made a great choice on a bike. I've ridden the 2013 fatboy lo and its a very solid bike and handles really well.

Some riders will tell you to start on a small bike and gain experience before moving up to a bigger bike but I'm not one of those people.

I have always felt that if you ride smart, ride within your ability, and take your time you will be able to handle any bike you'd buy at your local dealer.

So many riders start off on a small bike and 6 months later they cry that they wish they had actually bought the bike they really wanted. Most of the guys/gals I've known always outgrow those little bikes. Now they have 2x the investment once they trade in and buy up.

be careful out there as most of the cagers are out to get you even if they aren't planning on it. Pay attention to everything around you while riding, take your time and just enjoy yourself.

Old 05-20-2013 | 02:03 PM
NoRegerts
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy

Originally Posted by Mr. Ego
WOW - I can't tell you how welcomed and encouraged I really feel. This is absoluteness outstanding!

Truly, thank you very much for the kindness and advice that everyone here is passing to me, specifically the health-well wishes. Means a lot.

So - After deep consideration, I have decided to follow my heart and the fact that the bike talked to me and I am in love with it. This AM I called and made a deposit on the Bike.... Should arrive in a few weeks.

My plan is to practice slow maneuvers for a couple to few weeks in my areas and hit the books, read here, start new threads to understand the theoretical part of riding - including the constant scanning, evaluating, etc...

Fellow Riders, I am cut for this - once I have pictures, I will send it out.
Thanks again for being great friends here.

JJ
Since you have some time before your bike gets in, check
this book this book
out. I've been riding since I was 18, and after nearly 12 years on the road I found this an amazing read, and a lot of fun too. More than it's weight in gold worth of valuable information in here. I strongly encourage you to read it.

Old 05-20-2013 | 03:29 PM
andy13
Stage III

I bought my first bike 5 weeks ago . A new fatboy, Been on the to do list for many years , love it to bits .just take it steady and respect it 100% .one thing to remember is tooth picks to get the flies from your big grin

Old 05-20-2013 | 04:57 PM
nuvem
6th Gear

I got my driving license at the end of last October and bought my softail deluxe first week of November.

I've been riding everyday the sun shines over here and I love it. It's heavy, yes, but the driving is really smooth and easy. Just listen to the great advices concerning security, the guys wrote on the previous posts and you'll be fine.

When I got the bike from the seller I was a bit scared, I admit. I had 230 miles in front of me to get home with this huge and beautiful machine. All went well, it was my best trip...ever!!!!

I feel I'm still getting to know the bike, I drive carefully, specialy on curves. And I will keep being cautious every time I sit my *** on that seat.
Ride safe.

Edit* just one more thing, the best thing you can do to be healthy , is to be happy!
Glad you beat it!

Last edited by nuvem; 05-20-2013 at 05:02 PM.
Old 05-20-2013 | 05:14 PM
Misbehaven
Elite HDF Member

Congrats on winning the cancer battle. Wish many long years of health to you. Once you get the feel of the bike and the MSF course done you will love it even more. Be sure to check out the calling all Fatboy Lo's thread here in the softail section. It's only 967 pages of light reading and some great people to help you out.
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softa...wners-967.html

Old 05-20-2013 | 05:29 PM
ryanek9freak
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Mr. Ego
Thanks for the response Pravda - I was worried about that...
However, I felt that it was not top heavy like the other bikes and the center of gravity was so low - i felt in control.... I did ride it a bit in the parking lot, that's as far they would let me go.... Didnt bother me at all... however, different from the 250CC I learned on....

Didn't car for any of the smaller bikes to be honest.... I just think this one spoke to me, my plan is to spend a lot of time in my neighborhood before I hit the road, they probably will hate those V&H pipes....

Why do you think it is not a good idea? too heavy? I am looking for honest advice... give it to me friend.
Not too heavy at all bro. If you start on a sportster, you'll regret it 6 months later.

Old 05-20-2013 | 11:29 PM
45calibertranslator
Cruiser

Congratulations! Good for you. Buy the bike you want and take it slow. The RK in my avatar was the first motorcycle I'd ever put a leg over in my life. I'd always wanted one and bought mine before I took the MSF class. Started slow and easy. It will be second nature before long. Almost 50K miles later, I can tell you it's the best money I've ever spent.

Old 05-21-2013 | 07:13 AM
kykevinsmevin
Cruiser

Congrats on the bike and beating cancer! Praise the Lord! You did great on your bike choice. Yeah it's a little much to start out on, but take it easy till you get use to it and everything will be fine. Enjoy the Ride !!

Quick Reply: Newby - First Harley!