Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newby - First Harley!

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2013 | 08:25 AM
tbonetony06
Outstanding HDF Member

1 more word of advice. If you come into some curvey twisty roads, if you can't see the other end of a curve, see all the way through it before you get into it back out of it so you don't over shoot the curve and get yourself into a bad situation. Never hit a curve hard or even at normal speed if you can not see all the way through it or the other end of the curve. I have seen many ignore that advice only to find themselves out in a field with their bike on the ground and them along with it. Again, good luck Dude.

Old 05-20-2013 | 08:29 AM
Josewales
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by tbonetony06
1 more word of advice. If you come into some curvey twisty roads, if you can't see the other end of a curve, see all the way through it before you get into it back out of it so you don't over shoot the curve and get yourself into a bad situation. Never hit a curve hard or even at normal speed if you can not see all the way through it or the other end of the curve. I have seen many ignore that advice only to find themselves out in a field with their bike on the ground and them along with it. Again, good luck Dude.
This. Also slow down and then accelerate through a curve....that way you have a better feel and control.

Old 05-20-2013 | 08:32 AM
jam436
Supporter

Originally Posted by Pravda
My honest opinion is starting on a FatBoy is not a good idea.
I would start on a much lighter bike.
Have you taken the FatBoy for a test ride?
Originally Posted by Mr. Ego
Thanks for the response Pravda - I was worried about that...
However, I felt that it was not top heavy like the other bikes and the center of gravity was so low - i felt in control.... I did ride it a bit in the parking lot, that's as far they would let me go.... Didnt bother me at all... however, different from the 250CC I learned on....

Didn't car for any of the smaller bikes to be honest.... I just think this one spoke to me, my plan is to spend a lot of time in my neighborhood before I hit the road, they probably will hate those V&H pipes....

Why do you think it is not a good idea? too heavy? I am looking for honest advice... give it to me friend.
I don't think it's a bad idea at all.
After a long hiatus (marriage, kids, mortgage, college payments) I got back into riding last year - #1 item on the bucket list was a Harley.

I started on a Sportster Superlow.
That lasted exactly 21 days. Too small.
I traded that in on a Dyna, then several months later, traded that in on a Slim, which is not much different than a FatBoy.
Get the right bike the first time. I say go for it.

Old 05-20-2013 | 08:44 AM
kzoo
Road Master

My advice for what it is worth, get what you want, learn to ride it safely, keep your head on a swivel, look where you want to go - especially if you approach a curve to hot, never use the front brake with the front wheel turned.

Myself, I grabbed up an 04 Heritage a couple years ago coming from lighter bikes. i was worried about the weight. Not a problem and I am only 5'6" on a good day.

Old 05-20-2013 | 08:51 AM
Mill908
Cruiser

First off congrats on beating the Big "C", IMO the Fat boy aint too big, sits low and has pretty good balance point, if ya buy small you'll be looking for the bike you wanted by the end of the season. Just get it ride it,,,,,, enjoy

Old 05-20-2013 | 10:10 AM
Smileman
Tourer

First, congratulations on being disease free!!!

I'm 51 and took the MSF course last year. I bought a used Triumph for $7500 and rode all summer to get experience, then traded it for my Fatboy in August when the new 2013 models came out and got a good deal on the trade and for a 2012 model.

My suggestion is to purchase a less expensive used metric bike, like a VStar 650 or Honda Shadow for $4000-5000 first. Why? Four reasons. First, you may quickly discover that motorcycle riding is not for you. No big deal, you sell the bike for what you paid and walk away with a good life experience. Second, if you drop it a few times and scuff it up it's no big deal either. Do you really want to risk dumping your new Harley practicing slow speed handlling in parking lots? Third, once you gain some skill and confidence you can trade in your bike and get the Harley of your dreams. There's no rush to get one now..I promise they will make more. Fourth, it gives you time to decide what mods you really want. For example, I too love the look of the Big Radius pipes but they are wicked loud and would drive me nuts on longer rides.

I get that you want to satisfy some of your post-cancer bucket list items, but take your time, gain some skill, and make good decisions.

Anyway, that's my two cents. In the end it's your decision and I wish you the best of luck!!!!!

Old 05-20-2013 | 10:38 AM
SGMongoose
Tourer

another Congrats on beating the cancer! a Harley is certainly an appropriate way to celebrate.

as for starting with a Fat Boy, don't let it scare you. From my own experience, i went from a 250cc enduro (which i only put 600 miles on, my first bike) to a Deluxe. I wanted to skip right to the big twin since everyone seems to get rid of their sportster after a year. Well this was last fall.. i rode it around the block once and put it back in the garage. To be 100% honest, it scared me, it was heavy and seemed unwieldily. I spent the winter staring at the bike deciding if i made a terrible decision and if i should go look for a sportster. Well once spring hit and we had a nice few days, i said eft it, im not going to let fear keep me away from this beautiful bike. I took it out and i've been riding it every nice day since. I think the only thing keeping people from getting a big twin as a first bike is fear, the bike is easy to ride once i let it go of the fear.

As for the haters. I'm 26 yrs old, Asian, and 145lbs dripping wet. Everyone give me a look when i take my helmet off. people always say i should be on a 600cc jap sport bike. but i want to cruise country two lane, not fly down the highway or be on a track. To me, if you ride, you ride.. it doesn't matter what your on.

Old 05-20-2013 | 10:53 AM
Black Gator
Tourer

Yea, I think the FatBoy Lo is a good idea. If you feel you got a good deal it's a great stable ride. Just be careful, ride within your abilities and by all means go immediately to a MSF or "Riders Edge" class.

Old 05-20-2013 | 11:39 AM
Ramboamt
Road Warrior

Congratulations on beating cancer. I've know a couple of people that have beat it.

We went from an '06 Sporty to our '12 Heritage, I've been riding bikes since I was 12 years old, and yes the weight does make a difference BUT it is a GOOD difference.
It does handle a lot better than a crotch rocket and the slow maneuvering does take a little bit to get use to but as you have stated take it slow and ride around the neighborhood and the parking lots, that is a good place to practice the slow maneuvering training.

Once you get some seat time in you will gain confidence and start to explore the world out their on your bike.
If you can meet up with some other riders and get that wind in your hair, I know it's kinda hard with a helmet on but you know what I mean.

I noticed nobody has mentioned riding gear, a GOOD quality leather jacket, gloves, chaps, no not from the village people, and a Helmet.

We ride with full leather, jacket, gloves, chaps and a full face helmet. Even when it is HOT out, better to sweat a little then to bleed allot!

Ride safe.

Last edited by Ramboamt; 05-20-2013 at 11:46 AM.
Old 05-20-2013 | 11:58 AM
stiklr
Novice

I also rode crotch rockets for 10+ years before getting a Crossbones as my first cruiser. The LO is a nice bike and is fine as your first. After a few weeks you will handle it fine. As for your Suzuki buddies, once you are out with them on a ride, head to the local Harley dealer with them. See if they feel proud of their Suzuki's then. There is something to be said about the comradery between Harley riders that do not exist with Jap cruiser folks. Plus most Harley dealers host weekend parties/rides, and there are Harley Dealers everywhere if you ever need to stop for something on long road trips.
Jap cruisers are more technologically advanced compared to HD, but they just do not have any soul or character to them, just a plasticy pile of parts.

Quick Reply: Newby - First Harley!