Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Softail deluxe in the back of my truck?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2013 | 11:12 AM
ColinSiR
|
Advanced
Default Softail deluxe in the back of my truck?

Anyone else do this yet? Ive loaded just about everything in my truck except for this deluxe. It looks like the front fender it going to wack my box.
Im think a tire chalk or something? Anyone else do it? I plan on doing this like 4 times this year so any solution would be awesome!

Old 05-15-2013 | 11:16 AM
Vic Bronco
Road Captain

Get a piece of 3/4" plywood and cut it to fit in the bottom of your box. Mount a wheel chock on the plywood so that your front fender won't hit the box and you should be good to go. Depending on the size of your box you may need to leave the tailgate down, but if you've hauled sleds in it then it's probably nothing you're not already used to.

Old 05-15-2013 | 11:18 AM
ColinSiR
|
Advanced

Stupid me never thought about the wood. That is what Ill do!!! Now I wonder if i can get it on my sled deck!!!!

Old 05-15-2013 | 11:20 AM
jam436
Supporter

Originally Posted by ColinSiR
Anyone else do this yet? Ive loaded just about everything in my truck except for this deluxe. It looks like the front fender it going to wack my box.
Im think a tire chalk or something? Anyone else do it? I plan on doing this like 4 times this year so any solution would be awesome!
Your box? As in toolbox?
I'd say your first step would be to remove that, since at nearly 8' long, you're going to need every inch for that Deluxe.

Personally I'd consider a trailer, since if you have to do it that often you'll be glad you did.

There's just something about pickup trucks, ramps and 700+ lb., $20,000+ motorcycles that just don't work well together...

Old 05-15-2013 | 11:33 AM
t03cutt3r
Cruiser

Originally Posted by jam436
Your box? As in toolbox?
I'd say your first step would be to remove that, since at nearly 8' long, you're going to need every inch for that Deluxe.

Personally I'd consider a trailer, since if you have to do it that often you'll be glad you did.

There's just something about pickup trucks, ramps and 700+ lb., $20,000+ motorcycles that just don't work well together...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2EfBPgwi8E

That video was hilarious.

Personally, when I "had" to load my Fat boy in my truck ('08 Tundra), I have a ditch that I back my truck down into and that leaves about 6 inches of clearance from the ground to the tail gate. Makes it a lot easier to load. I couldn't imagine doing what these guys were trying.

Old 05-15-2013 | 11:35 AM
hspring03
Elite HDF Member

I went to harbor Freight and bought the $39.99 wheel chock....

Definitely remove the tool box. And use the correct type of ramp with the proper weight load. I like to use 3 so I can "walk" it up the ramps

That's if you have to trailer at all. I ride when I can

*Edit- Old picture. Don't use the bars to tie down the bike. Use the forks.

Old 05-15-2013 | 01:00 PM
Bloozmann
Cruiser

Tractor Supply had a 5x10 landscape style trailer on sale for $999.00 I bought it and mounted a chock in it. Just ride the bike up the trailer ramp, and it's in. A few tie downs and you're all set...Easy as 1-2-3

Old 05-15-2013 | 01:01 PM
Suntower
Road Master

Originally Posted by hspring03
I went to harbor Freight and bought the $39.99 wheel chock....

Definitely remove the tool box. And use the correct type of ramp with the proper weight load. I like to use 3 so I can "walk" it up the ramps

That's if you have to trailer at all. I ride when I can

*Edit- Old picture. Don't use the bars to tie down the bike. Use the forks.

Damn! Don't you bottom out with ramps that short?

I dunno how you bike-in-the-back-of-the-truck guys do it. My bike bottoms out when I load it in my toy hauler... couldn't imagine trying to get it another foot or two in the air.

Also... why not strap on the bars? I trailer my bike all the time (I live in a toyhauler when traveling for work) and strap it low on the bars... I prefer the highest point of attachment for leverage.

Sweet ride by the way!

Old 05-15-2013 | 01:07 PM
hspring03
Elite HDF Member

On my Springer you risk ruining the riser bushings. I go around the forks.

Haven't bottomed out, especially when I had that truck.. That chevy was like a car with a truck bed. The F150 is a little higher, but I always look for a hill or elevated surface to load unload.

Old 05-15-2013 | 01:18 PM
jam436
Supporter

Originally Posted by Bloozmann
Tractor Supply had a 5x10 landscape style trailer on sale for $999.00 I bought it and mounted a chock in it. Just ride the bike up the trailer ramp, and it's in. A few tie downs and you're all set...Easy as 1-2-3
..exactly. I bought a used one for less than half that.
not only is it safer, it's also cheaper than the repairs you'd need the first time you dropped the bike off a ramp - and you can use the trailer for a lot of other things...

Quick Reply: Softail deluxe in the back of my truck?