Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Disc brake questions....

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2013 | 06:03 PM
mar1ne
|
6th Gear
Default Disc brake questions....

Hey Guys,

I got a question for you all. I just purchased a 2012 softail slim. When i was looking at the bike the salesman told me it had abs and the security package. The ABS was a pretty big deal to me as I have limited riding experience. I have owned two honda bikes in the past, but consider myself a low skill level rider. I have taken the MSF beginners safety course and plan on taking the more experienced courses in the future.

Anyway, back to my story and questions. After I signed the papers and was taking the bike i asked the sales guy of the key fobs and he responded that he was wrong about the security package and that the bike did not have it. It didn't hit me right at first but later i realized that meant I also did not have ABS. Well of course I already have the bike home so returning is not really an option; plus i have pretty much falling in love with her.

My question is how good are Harley disc brakes? I have done tons of google searches but haven't found a lot of info. I know my other bikes would lock up fairly easily if too much pressure was applied. Are the new Harley's the same? Or have the disc brakes advanced more to the point it is more difficult to lock the wheels in an emergency situation. Don't get me wrong, I know you cant mash the brakes and expect to keep the wheels from locking but do I have more leeway with 2012 harley.

I appreciate any constructive responses!! And, i do plan to keep practicing proper braking techniques, but I can't help but wish I had been a little more observant before signing the papers and driving away. Guess I was a little star struck by my new girl and just happy to be with her. lol

thanks!

mar1ne

Old 05-11-2013 | 06:17 PM
FXDForbes
Tourer

I can't tell you about how good abs is but I don't have it and my breaks are great. Quite a lot of guys actually prefer to not have abs

Old 05-11-2013 | 07:10 PM
mar1ne
|
6th Gear

First, thanks for the reply! I have heard that myself, but I haven't understood why. Of course the salesman after I was upset about it told me that sometimes you need the wheels to lock for certain safety maneuvers. However, I have to think that is complete BS. Why the hell would you ever want your wheels to lock is beyond me. I want my bike upright and under control at all times and locking the breaks does not keep you in good control of the bike.

Old 05-11-2013 | 07:19 PM
Jeff W
Outstanding HDF Member

You will get so used to the brakes it wont matter, but id have been pissed when after all the paper work was done it did not have the security system on it, especially since that was his sales pitch...i would have said either install it for free, or rip up the papers and lets start all over.

Old 05-11-2013 | 07:23 PM
MARIOFXSTC
Stage IV

I would have definitely been pissed. I probably would have raised hell, and talked to owner, HD and the manager. I just got a used one and am starting to think I got screwed a bit. $9k for a bike shouldn't require me to do anything, at least for a while. Thats life I guess.

Old 05-11-2013 | 07:29 PM
jam436
Supporter

Originally Posted by Jeff W
You will get so used to the brakes it wont matter, but id have been pissed when after all the paper work was done it did not have the security system on it, especially since that was his sales pitch...i would have said either install it for free, or rip up the papers and lets start all over.
I agree..

Old 05-11-2013 | 08:29 PM
ryanek9freak
Road Captain

I have ridden the new bikes, I hate the ABS. I prefer to have the ability to lock up my brakes to quickly slow down, then release for an evasive maneuver. There's a reason why race bikes don't run anti lock brakes.

Old 05-11-2013 | 08:29 PM
oct1949
Club Member

Having ridden for 47yrs and over 300k miles on all the bike... I will say U don't really have to have ABS...

Are they better... IMO only if U panic and lock up the rears in certain situations....

Best IMO is to lean not to Tailgate others,, don't ride too fast for the conditions Ur in and U most likely will be fine...

Praise and thank God I haven't had an accident where I've been really hurt in, in all those yrs and miles.

But U have to be a GREAT defenceive ridder.. to do that...

Stupidity, Speed, Drinking and Drugs are Ur worse Enemy while ridding on Ur bike.

Even if U do all things RIGHT... U still have to watch every ******** that's driving a Cager around 150% of the time to stay alive..

Old 05-11-2013 | 08:30 PM
ryanek9freak
Road Captain

Oh, and I'm sure you learned in your MSF course, if you lock up the rear, ride it out until you stop, or you'll get high sided of your bike like you were shot out of a cannon.

Old 05-11-2013 | 09:26 PM
Snowyone
Road Captain
Default Give me a brake

I don't think the stock brakes are too stellar with just two discs and the feel is just so so to me. I come from riding dressers with three brakes and always upgraded them to floaters and a couple of times changed out the calipers to PM. With a light load(I'm not lite) the brakes are ok but when loaded down and traveling they left something to be desired. I looked around at what it was going to take to add a disc and was spendy, but guess everything is spendy that says HD. I got a good deal on a 18" PM front wheel and it came with a 13" disc. I went ahead and got a 6 piston caliper to go with it and am very satisfied with feel and stopping power. When I first took it out I was disapointed and felt it worse but after about 200 miles it is stellar and much better than stock. On the rear I'm still stock on the brake but have a tire with a much larger contact patch that I haven't been able to slide yet.

Quick Reply: Disc brake questions....