Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who is running lower wind deflectors? (fangs)

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2013, 09:06 AM
SBRob
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,293 Likes on 1,701 Posts

Originally Posted by asa 1199
SBRob, Did you take them off and try again? Results?
Yea, I took 'em off and I really don't notice much difference with buffeting...it wasn't bad to begin with, I just thought it would eliminate the buffeting I had per some of the prior posts saying it made a big difference with them installed.

I did notice it caused a bit more engine heat on my legs when they were installed, but not much difference if any with the buffeting.

I'm leaving them off...they are now sittin' in my parts room. lol

Old 07-08-2013, 03:57 PM
gedakbx
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New style fangs

I put a set of the new style HD ones on this weekend and I cant say that any thing really changed as far as the buffetting. I wonder if the older style work better?

Old 07-08-2013, 04:49 PM
Shep68
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good topic. I don't notice a lot of buffeting during normal riding position...feet on boards. However I intalled a highway bar with pegs, and when I throw my legs out on those they are at about a 45 deg angle. Funnels the wind right up the inner thigh onto the chest and head. Would like to reduce that but not sure "fangs" would do it. More likely soft lowers are the answer but then there's heat issues in the summer supposedly. Might just have to live with it I guess.

Old 07-08-2013, 05:50 PM
obidio
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Brit Biker
Can any one tell me if the new HD wind deflectors ( 57400143) will fit a 2012 Deluxe? The fitment list does not include FLSTN. Thanks.
I ordered these for my 12 deluxe. They arrive tomorrow. I will post after installing and testing. I REALLY hope they reduce the buffeting.

http://www.jescustomaccents.com/prod...&categoryId=34

Old 07-09-2013, 10:06 PM
balloo
Tourer
Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts

I have the Harley model, and sure glad I had them on a recent trip, where in rained almost every day.

Balloo

Old 07-10-2013, 09:03 AM
Car Doc
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Shep68
Good topic. I don't notice a lot of buffeting during normal riding position...feet on boards. However I intalled a highway bar with pegs, and when I throw my legs out on those they are at about a 45 deg angle. Funnels the wind right up the inner thigh onto the chest and head. Would like to reduce that but not sure "fangs" would do it. More likely soft lowers are the answer but then there's heat issues in the summer supposedly. Might just have to live with it I guess.
I have custom leather soft lowers and they definitely kill the wind coming past you and good for wet roads too. I use them starting late fall when the temps drop and engine cooling is not as big an issue.

I have Kuryaykn fork deflectors they are bigger than HD and they work real well and leave them on year round. They fixed the exact thing you described - wind in your face and chest when you have your feet on the hiway pegs.

Old 07-10-2013, 12:35 PM
Shep68
Road Master

Originally Posted by Car Doc
I have custom leather soft lowers and they definitely kill the wind coming past you and good for wet roads too. I use them starting late fall when the temps drop and engine cooling is not as big an issue.

I have Kuryaykn fork deflectors they are bigger than HD and they work real well and leave them on year round. They fixed the exact thing you described - wind in your face and chest when you have your feet on the hiway pegs.
Thanks for that! Are these what you have:

http://www.kuryakyn.com/products/391...ind-deflectors

If so, do you keep those vents open or closed or does it matter? I would think the wind would still catch your leg when you throw it out there, but you say this prevents that huh? Good news.

Old 07-10-2013, 02:21 PM
Car Doc
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Shep68
Thanks for that! Are these what you have:

http://www.kuryakyn.com/products/391...ind-deflectors

If so, do you keep those vents open or closed or does it matter? I would think the wind would still catch your leg when you throw it out there, but you say this prevents that huh? Good news.
Yup that's them but fyi I would look at jc cycles or search around there are better prices. I am pretty sure thats where I bought mine (jc cycles) and gave only 79 bucks and free shipping. hth Yes it definitely helps when the feet are on the hiway pegs.

I have had them since last year and so far not been able to determine if open or closed if I can feel the difference open is how I run them now? Leaving for Colorado a 6 am tomorrow headed to the hills for a week. So maybe I will have a good answer after that Ill get back to ya.

edit: Hey Shep68 if you get some I need to warn you me and my buddy both had to grind a bit off the lower part of our windshield side brackets. Right where the bracket fits the lower stud that the ws clips into. Just a heads up it was easy but beware they are not an "exact" perfect fit some fitting is necessary. my .002

Last edited by Car Doc; 07-10-2013 at 02:55 PM.
Old 07-10-2013, 06:11 PM
Shep68
Road Master

Originally Posted by Car Doc
Yup that's them but fyi I would look at jc cycles or search around there are better prices. I am pretty sure thats where I bought mine (jc cycles) and gave only 79 bucks and free shipping. hth Yes it definitely helps when the feet are on the hiway pegs.

I have had them since last year and so far not been able to determine if open or closed if I can feel the difference open is how I run them now? Leaving for Colorado a 6 am tomorrow headed to the hills for a week. So maybe I will have a good answer after that Ill get back to ya.

edit: Hey Shep68 if you get some I need to warn you me and my buddy both had to grind a bit off the lower part of our windshield side brackets. Right where the bracket fits the lower stud that the ws clips into. Just a heads up it was easy but beware they are not an "exact" perfect fit some fitting is necessary. my .002
Appreciate the feedback. Kind of odd you had to grind to fit. I don't own a grinder so maybe I'm better off sticking with the HD part. I would think if yours redirects the flow then those would too. Anyway thanks again and enjoy the Hills. Grew up there...great riding country.

Old 07-11-2013, 04:16 PM
leadermc
Former Sponsor
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Shep and others - the soft lowers DO keep a lot of that wind off you. Some lowers (like Harley's) have a temperature restriction because the way they attach chokes all the air out of the motor. The Desert Dawgs, however, can be used as hot as you can stand with no danger of overheating because they attach in such a way that air is still flowing through the engine (patented design). http://www.leadermotorcycle.com/harl...n-rain-guards/

Quick Reply: Who is running lower wind deflectors? (fangs)