Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I am out of ideas

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2013 | 12:46 PM
Account Retired
|
Banned
Default I am out of ideas

So I have a 2001, fuel injected fatboy. At first, this issue was every once in a while but now it seems to be happening every time I ride.

1. It gets really hot, really fast.
2. As long as I am rolling, it is fine but as soon as I stop, it begins to idle really fast.
3. While it is idling fast, if I even TOUCH the throttle, it dies.

BTW, I have a D&M intake on it and V&H longshots. Did have a PCM but the stealership fried it somehow so I do not have a map on it. Let me know what you think.

Oh! and it never has any fault codes.

Old 05-10-2013 | 01:01 PM
spydyr
Road Captain

2001 Fatboys were carbed. FI didn't come out until I think 2006. So, if so, aftermarket. Aftermarket FI = need some sort of fuel management. I wouldn't run it one more minute without getting this looked at... hopefully you didn't damage your engine.

And if the dealership fried my PCM, the dealership would be buying me a new PCM.

Old 05-10-2013 | 01:07 PM
hspring03
Elite HDF Member

FI came out in 01 on softails. Carbed or FI was an option

All that stuff on a stock ECM might cause you to be running lean... You need at least a Stage 1 on it, but I would opt for a Powercommander

Or the ECM itself could be faulty

Old 05-10-2013 | 01:12 PM
Account Retired
|
Banned

Originally Posted by spydyr
2001 Fatboys were carbed. FI didn't come out until I think 2006. So, if so, aftermarket. Aftermarket FI = need some sort of fuel management. I wouldn't run it one more minute without getting this looked at... hopefully you didn't damage your engine.

And if the dealership fried my PCM, the dealership would be buying me a new PCM.

Fatboy had the option beginning in 2001. Like I said, as long as I am rolling it runs fine. It only acts up when I stop.

Old 05-10-2013 | 01:14 PM
WhiteNoise
Road Captain

I'd think it's a given that you need fuel management.

Go spend some money.

Old 05-10-2013 | 01:25 PM
Account Retired
|
Banned

Originally Posted by WhiteNoise
I'd think it's a given that you need fuel management.

Go spend some money.
The dealership said they would hook me up with a map. The thing is, it STARTED while I still had the PCM on it, before the dealership fried it.

Old 05-10-2013 | 01:29 PM
hspring03
Elite HDF Member

Clogged fuel line, bad injectors?

What was the dealer doing that caused the Power commander to fry? Sounds like they at least owe you a free Stage1 download

Old 05-10-2013 | 01:30 PM
Account Retired
|
Banned

They were changing tires!!!! They said they tried to start it and it wouldnt go, so they disconnected it and it was full of water......

Old 05-10-2013 | 01:41 PM
JekyllnHyde
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by BigJLocke
So I have a 2001, fuel injected fatboy. At first, this issue was every once in a while but now it seems to be happening every time I ride.

1. It gets really hot, really fast.
2. As long as I am rolling, it is fine but as soon as I stop, it begins to idle really fast.
3. While it is idling fast, if I even TOUCH the throttle, it dies.

BTW, I have a D&M intake on it and V&H longshots. Did have a PCM but the stealership fried it somehow so I do not have a map on it. Let me know what you think.

Oh! and it never has any fault codes.
My 08 Dyna was doing the exact same thing. Except my engine light was coming on, and it was throwing historical codes. In the beginning the light wasn't going on, but over a period of a month or so, and as it progressively got worse, the engine light came on and the idle surge began to happen more often.

Not sure if my fix will work for your bike, but it sounds like it might. I bypassed some other reasons this might be happening and installed a new Throttle Position Sensor. I did this just the other day. I rode the bike yesterday for a couple of hours and the problem seems to be solved. No engine light and perfect idle. The Throttle Position Sensor is only a $31 part and other than the back bolt, that's a little tricky to get out, it's pretty easy to replace.

As far as your bike not having fault codes, another guy on here didn't either, but it was the same fix for his bike. For $31, and about an hour of your time, it may be worth a shot.

If you're going to do this and want to know how I got that back bolt out let me know and I'll walk you through it. Do you have a service manual? Make sure you disconnect your battery before you install it.

Old 05-10-2013 | 01:46 PM
JekyllnHyde
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by BigJLocke
They were changing tires!!!! They said they tried to start it and it wouldnt go, so they disconnected it and it was full of water......
I have a Power Commander that got fried after it got wet and Fuel Moto sent me a new one free. That was a couple of years ago, but I had the PC for about a year at the time. If you get a new one make you you apply some Dielectric grease. It'll protect it from water and dampness.

EDIT: Your bike is running lean, causing heat, because you have a full aftermarket exhaust, and no map. But I don't think that's the cause of the idle surges. Not 100% on that though.

Last edited by JekyllnHyde; 05-10-2013 at 01:50 PM.

Quick Reply: I am out of ideas