Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I am out of ideas

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2013 | 01:47 PM
Account Retired
|
Banned

Originally Posted by DYNAmiteBuzz
My 08 Dyna was doing the exact same thing. Except my engine light was coming on, and it was throwing historical codes. In the beginning the light wasn't going on, but over a period of a month or so, and as it progressively got worse, the engine light came on and the idle surge began to happen more often.

Not sure if my fix will work for your bike, but it sounds like it might. I bypassed some other reasons this might be happening and installed a new Throttle Position Sensor. I did this just the other day. I rode the bike yesterday for a couple of hours and the problem seems to be solved. No engine light and perfect idle. The Throttle Position Sensor is only a $31 part and other than the back bolt, that's a little tricky to get out, it's pretty easy to replace.

As far as your bike not having fault codes, another guy on here didn't either, but it was the same fix for his bike. For $31, and about an hour of your time, it may be worth a shot.

If you're going to do this and want to know how I got that back bolt out let me know and I'll walk you through it. Do you have a service manual? Make sure you disconnect your battery before you install it.
I JUST called the dealership, they told me they would give me a free diagnostic and put in my map for free too. My problem with letting them do it, is I have 16" apes and I am having shoulder surgery Monday morning. The guy told me, "Bro, we will deliver it to your house free of charge when we are done with it!" This dealership has been the best one I have ever dealt with, even though they DID break my axle cover and fry my PCM haha. So I am going to drop it off tonight or tomorrow, depending on when I get off work tonight and see what they think. Thanks for your help guys, I will keep you posted on what the problem was!

Old 05-10-2013 | 01:54 PM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Originally Posted by WhiteNoise
I'd think it's a given that you need fuel management.

Go spend some money.
What WhiteNoise said. It could only help.

Old 05-10-2013 | 01:58 PM
JekyllnHyde
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by BigJLocke
I JUST called the dealership, they told me they would give me a free diagnostic and put in my map for free too. My problem with letting them do it, is I have 16" apes and I am having shoulder surgery Monday morning. The guy told me, "Bro, we will deliver it to your house free of charge when we are done with it!" This dealership has been the best one I have ever dealt with, even though they DID break my axle cover and fry my PCM haha. So I am going to drop it off tonight or tomorrow, depending on when I get off work tonight and see what they think. Thanks for your help guys, I will keep you posted on what the problem was!
I just had shoulder surgery last November. Full torn tendon in my rotator cuff. Glad it's all over cause it wasn't fun! You may have to get used to sleeping in a recliner for a while.

As far as the dealership. It's good to see someone is providing good service.

I'm more interested in knowing how things go with the bike than I am about your shoulder. I pretty much already know how the shoulder surgery will go. LOL Still, let us know how both went. Best of luck with both!

Old 05-10-2013 | 02:14 PM
Account Retired
|
Banned

I had surgery the first time in Dec. They are going back in again for a full reconstruction.

With the bike, I just checked all my favorite sites and it says they dont make a throttle position sensor for a fatboy before 2006. weirdest damn thing.

Old 05-10-2013 | 02:47 PM
JekyllnHyde
Outstanding HDF Member

With the bike, I just checked all my favorite sites and it says they dont make a throttle position sensor for a fatboy before 2006. weirdest damn thing.
Well, I didn't know that. Now I do. lol As far as my previous posts on the problem....as Emily Litella (Gilda Radner) used to say......

Old 05-10-2013 | 03:12 PM
Account Retired
|
Banned

Disregard, I found one. I am going to see what the dealership says. If they tell me, "we couldnt find anything," I will replace it and see how it works.

Old 05-10-2013 | 04:06 PM
Snowyone
Road Captain
Default idle

Did you check for intake leaks. Just spray some silicone or wd-40 around the intake area shielding the aircleaner area with cardboard so as not to pick up the spray. When you spray and the engine changes idle speed or sound you have an intake leak. You really do need a tuner with the exhaust and intake mods but an intake leak will leave you with new holes in the piston or burnt valves pretty quick.

Old 05-10-2013 | 08:20 PM
JekyllnHyde
Outstanding HDF Member

Disregard, I found one. I am going to see what the dealership says. If they tell me, "we couldnt find anything," I will replace it and see how it works.
What did you find?

Old 05-11-2013 | 08:06 AM
Account Retired
|
Banned

Originally Posted by DYNAmiteBuzz
What did you find?

I found a TPS, but the big name companies don't carry it for some damn reason.

I dropped the bike off last night. They are running a diag today and will load the stage 1 if they can get to it. If that doesnt fix it, I am going to order the part. the newer ones are 30-32 dollars but the one for my bike is 58-65 dollars. Older parts are always more expensive for my bike for some reason.

Old 05-11-2013 | 08:22 AM
JekyllnHyde
Outstanding HDF Member

Ok, For some reason when you said they don't make a TPS for pre 2006 I was thinking you meant your 2001 didn't have one...which didn't make sense to me at the time. Now I know you were just saying that you couldn't find the part.

That said, I'll go back to my first post and I'll bet $1 it's your TPS.

Quick Reply: I am out of ideas