Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dropped 2012 Fatoby Lo :-(

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2013 | 02:16 PM
Kephran
|
Novice
Unhappy Dropped 2012 Fatoby Lo :-(

Hey ladies and gents-

Need some advice on whether I'm getting all the replacement parts right. I have been riding for 3 years, had the 2012 for a year, and dropped it last night at 0 mph. My riding pants are getting caught now in the shift-kicker. I like using my toe so I normally have my feet positioned for that, but for the last week I've found my left pant leg is constantly capturing the back shift-kick. So, when I stopped I went to put my feet down and my left couldn't move because it was caught on that. The bike leaned left (if only it had leaned right, I could have held it up since that leg wasn't stuck!!!) and 1100 lbs of bike fell to the ground with me attached to it. I'm ok, but the following items are messed up cosmetically.

1. Primary Cover and Derby cover (chrome), original 2012 covers.
2. Left handlebar, shift leaver
3. Left tail signal light.
4. Left foot board.

I'm also adding a sissy bar and travel rack to the back.

So far I've found the following parts, at the following prices. I'm still having issues finding the handlebar and shift leaver. The bike is matte black powder with vance and hines pro pipe black and a power vision w/777 woods cams.

Also, huge thanks in advance for those who told me about J&S Jacks - love my jack! It's great!

I'm going to try to repair my damage by hand unless there's a reason to take it to the shop, but I am a bit mechanical.

List of repairs plus new sissy bar & luggage rack, listed together in clumps of how I think the parts go together -- if I am missing anything or overlooking a critical item, please let me know! Thank you!

Sissy Bar/Rack -- not result of damage, but willing to hear inputs on alternative set-ups to match matte black fatboy lo.
DOCKING HARDWARE KIT SFTL,W/O SADDLEBAGS
SKU 53932-03A Price: $31.96
KIT-TURNSIGNAL RELOCATION,SFTL
SKU: 54268-10 Price: $31.96
KIT, UPRIGHT, DETACHABLE, BLACK
SKU: 52729-08 Price: $159.96
BACKREST PAD-FLSTSB,FXSTC
SKU: 52631-07 Price: $55.96

Adding for new place to put feet and mitigate hooked clothing at stop...
BILLET FOOT PEG MOUNT, ENGINE GUARD
SKU: 50957-02B Price: $79.96

Damage Repairs Items:

PRIMARY COVER, CHROME (may not come with screws etc)
SKU: 60782-06 Price: $289.96
CHROME PRIMARY FASTENERS, DYNA HARLEY-DAVIDSON (screws)
SKU: 60801-06 Price: $47.86
DERBY COVER, 5-HOLE, FLAMES (Couldn't find original 103 style @ HD site - anyone know if these are still available?)
SKU: 25334-99A Price: $51.96
CHROME COVER DERBY SCREW, 5-HOLE
SKU: 25913-99 Price: $11.16
GASKET, CLUTCH COVER
SKU: 25416-99C Price: $6.99

Replacement for botched left footboard - willing to look at other models if suggested first
KIT, INSERT, FTBRD/OPER, NOSTALGIC, SFTL
SKU: 50051-09 Price: $119.96

I also found primary cover screws about $20 cheaper at http://www.narleychoppers.com/servle...unt-Kit/Detail
But would they match the original look?

What I have not been able to find:

Black Bullet Rear Left Turn Signal light to replace the one that fell into concrete.
Chrome handlebar lever, left to replace the shift leaver that ate concrete.

And also, I found this alternate part for the primary cover as a kit -- which option is better? This one is cheaper but why? Or is it not the same thing that I need? Thanks again for any and all advice.

PRIMARY COVER KIT HARLEY-DAVIDSON
SKU: 60792-06B Price: $249.96

Ok, that's it. I know, a lot of skus. Trying to get this right -- ordered an incorrect part last go and wasn't able to exchange it.

Old 05-09-2013 | 02:31 PM
nascarfan
Cruiser

Search for the OEM parts you want/need here:

http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche.....asp?make=hdmc

Old 05-09-2013 | 02:38 PM
Misbehaven
Elite HDF Member

And a $200 engine guard would have saved every part you damaged.

Old 05-09-2013 | 02:54 PM
Benway
Elite HDF Member

That's a LOT of damage for a fall over! I did the same thing twice and have no showable damage... ouch

Old 05-09-2013 | 03:03 PM
jay72
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Misbehaven
And a $200 engine guard would have saved every part you damaged.
Hind sight is 20/20, but he does have a point. There are two kinds of riders, them that have and them that are gonna.

Old 05-09-2013 | 03:06 PM
Snowyone
Road Captain
Smile engine guard

Yikes that's a bunch of parts trashed that could have been saved by an engine guard like mentioned above. My story was like this: Yaking on the phone after coming out of the motel at a Hog rally. Brand new Fatboy Lo(2011)and because I wouldn't be sleeping near the bike had used the neck lock for the first time.(No excuses and I've even got one on my 53Pan) Everyone was leaving so told the Bride I've got to go. Bike was running and hopped on and took off and fell off after the bike made a quick left. Thank heavens everyone missed my swan dive but my biggest concern was the new knees I'd just had replaced three months earlier. Only damage was a scuff on the bottom curve of the mustache engine guard, which you can't see unless your on your knees, and tore my pants at the knee, but no damage to the knee(somewhat numb from nerves that are damaged in knee replacement); and a big bruise on my pride. I'm the old timer of the group with the most riding experience. Oh well stuff happens!

Old 05-09-2013 | 03:15 PM
Kephran
|
Novice

I have no idea what that is. Examples? the Engine Guard.

Also really looking for insight on if I got all the parts for the replacement right.

And the lights/handlebar shift lever -- can't find them on HD.com for a reference part number so having a hard time finding anything.

Nascarfan - thanks for that site! It's working on finding part numbers to my 103 FLSFTB. Good stuff there.

Last edited by Kephran; 05-09-2013 at 03:23 PM.
Old 05-09-2013 | 03:26 PM
cjbmustang
Tourer

at least you didn't get the paint!

Old 05-09-2013 | 03:30 PM
jam436
Supporter

Originally Posted by jay72
hind sight is 20/20, but he does have a point. There are two kinds of riders, them that have and them that are gonna.
lmao...

Old 05-09-2013 | 03:39 PM
Kephran
|
Novice

Originally Posted by cjbmustang
at least you didn't get the paint!
That's true. I was looking hard but it looks like no body work actually took a hit.

It looks like about $800 worth of parts so far but having an extremely hard time finding OEM matching left handle lever in chrome. Some part numbers are just evading me.

Also looking for the original black 103 derby cover still -- would rather match that.

Quick Reply: Dropped 2012 Fatoby Lo :-(