Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dropped 2012 Fatoby Lo :-(

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2013 | 06:33 AM
brettnbama
Ultimate HDF Member

Everything looks good as far as parts, but I got to know what all you have strapped to that bike to make it weigh 1100 lbs?!!??!

Old 05-10-2013 | 10:58 AM
Ramboamt
Road Warrior

Also check the Classified forum here on HD forums. Found our Lindy Linbar crash guard and saddle bag guards for our '12 Heritage there.

I removed the rear shift lever on our '12 Heritage and had to make a spacer to fill in the gap between the forward shift lever and the engine case, no I did not want to slide the forward lever over towards the case exposing more of the shifter input shaft, by using some round steel tubing I had laying around the man cave I just cut it to length and painted Black.
To remove the shift lever you will need an Allen wrench, if I remember right if not a Torx bit, to loosen the retaining pinch bolt. Once it is loose you might have to pry open the shift lever around the shifter input shaft with a screw driver or equivalent, in the slot where the pinch bolt went through, and slide the forward shift arm off, after marking its alignment on the input shaft, then do the same on the rear shift arm. After that you just need to slide the forward shift arm onto the shifter input shaft, after making a spacer if you want one, making sure it is lined up with the alignment marks made earlier.
Hope this helps.

Old 05-10-2013 | 11:00 AM
Ramboamt
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by brettnbama
Everything looks good as far as parts, but I got to know what all you have strapped to that bike to make it weigh 1100 lbs?!!??!
>What happened this time was I stayed attached to the bike which was my weight + a 40 lb backpack filled with military gear. Since I couldn't get my foot off the bike I stayed on it like a pendulum and gave the fulcrum enough to pop the footboard up and bring the bike over the rest of the way.<

Yep, that would do it.

Old 05-10-2013 | 11:29 AM
Sgt_Jim
Outstanding HDF Member

same thing almost happened to me.. 3 times, 3 stop lights in a row, the back of my jeans got wrapped around my heel shifter and almost made me drop the bike each time. told my buddy i was riding with to pull the f over, give me an allen wrench, and i took the heel shifter off right there on the side of the road..haven't looked back since.

Old 05-10-2013 | 07:54 PM
bigblock59
Tourer

first thing the dealership did for me after signing all the paper work is to remove the heel shifter. it was so unnatural and the space between the front arm and rear didn't allow me to have my foot in a comfortable position. i did get my foot stuck on the test ride a few times before i even bought the bike.

Old 05-11-2013 | 10:48 PM
Kephran
|
Novice

Originally Posted by bigblock59
first thing the dealership did for me after signing all the paper work is to remove the heel shifter. it was so unnatural and the space between the front arm and rear didn't allow me to have my foot in a comfortable position. i did get my foot stuck on the test ride a few times before i even bought the bike.
Wish my dealership had offered that! I looked at it and decided it wasn't really something I was going to use, but didn't think of fixing that.

I saw another post in this thread with "how to remove the heel shifter." Was your removal done the same way? It was a little confusing for me to follow every step. Trying to figure out how to remove.

-Kepper

Old 05-12-2013 | 08:09 AM
Raccerx67
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Kephran
Wish my dealership had offered that! I looked at it and decided it wasn't really something I was going to use, but didn't think of fixing that.

I saw another post in this thread with "how to remove the heel shifter." Was your removal done the same way? It was a little confusing for me to follow every step. Trying to figure out how to remove.

-Kepper
Just remove the allen bolt that attaches it to the shift shaft. Slide off the heal shift arm. Harley sells a decorative cap to cover the now exposed splines on shift shaft. Costs like $11 for the cap.

Old 05-12-2013 | 09:03 AM
Bone Doc
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Kephran
... I saw another post in this thread with "how to remove the heel shifter." Was your removal done the same way? It was a little confusing for me to follow every step. Trying to figure out how to remove.
-Kepper
Dude, there are 2 steps (previously layed out for you by Raccerx67):
1. Remove allen bolt
2. Pull off heel shift lever

If that is confusing, are you sure you want to tackle replacing all the damaged parts yourself? You do have a service manual, don't you?
If not, buy one. If so, .

Old 05-12-2013 | 09:29 AM
NDBadlands4-2
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by Misbehaven
And a $200 engine guard would have saved every part you damaged.
First thing I ordered for my Heritage.

Old 05-12-2013 | 09:42 AM
FLSTF2010
Advanced

That heel-toe shifter is nice, but at the same time catches pant legs regularly to the point i'm considering taking mine off.

Quick Reply: Dropped 2012 Fatoby Lo :-(