Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Considering a solo saddlebag (not swingarm) on my Slim. Opinions welcome

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2013 | 09:37 PM
SoCalSoftailSlim
|
Elite HDF Member
Default Considering a solo saddlebag (not swingarm) on my Slim. Opinions welcome

I'm currently running this:

But I find the bag is too small for what I usually haul. (Gym clothes with shoes. Sometimes a laptop in a protective sleeve.) And I really dislike carrying a backpack, and strapping stuff to my sissy gets a little old. I go to the gym from work nearly everyday.

I am thinking of replacing it with this:

Not my bike, but gives you an idea what it looks like on a Slim.

I actually like the look of the swingarm bag better, but I like the practicality of the bigger solo saddle. And it don't look half-bad either.

Opinions welcome.

Old 05-08-2013 | 09:43 PM
Vic Bronco
Road Captain

It doesn't really look significantly bigger, just looks like it sits higher up and maybe has a bit more room on the corners where it isn't angled.

Old 05-08-2013 | 09:50 PM
elizer
Road Captain

socal,
If you got a sissy bar why not just ride a sissy bar bag... or even military ruck sacks can sit on those.

But otherwise... that bag picture u put aint to big... but a solostyle saddlebag is kinda weird.... imo

Old 05-08-2013 | 10:02 PM
SoCalSoftailSlim
|
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by elizer
socal,
If you got a sissy bar why not just ride a sissy bar bag... or even military ruck sacks can sit on those.

But otherwise... that bag picture u put aint to big... but a solostyle saddlebag is kinda weird.... imo
I never could get into the look of a sissy bar bag for whatever reason when it comes to daily riding. Just one of those things.

Funny you should say rucksack cuz that's how I transport my gym clothes now. (See pic). The deal is, I go to the gym every day, and strapping the rucksack on there and taking it off everyday just gets a little old. Plus, even though I have a two-ply pair of my gals pantyhose protecting the sissy, the powder is still gonna get worn.

Old 05-09-2013 | 06:14 AM
Platinum
Novice

I like it better than the huge roll bag I've seen some guys put in their bars. Who makes this bag SoCal?

Old 05-09-2013 | 07:34 AM
jam436
Supporter

It's not a bad looking bag, I kinda like it, but as was already mentioned, you don't appear to be gaining all that much space
- unless it's 6" deep or more in which case it might look a little strange.

Old 05-09-2013 | 08:05 AM
Motown Strag
Road Warrior

Go with what works, there is no blueprint to follow. If it looks right to you then it is right.

Old 05-09-2013 | 12:48 PM
purecountry13b
Tourer

I like the look. I have been running a solo bag for four years now, mine is a small ruck that I put on with easy brackets and some plastic sheeting. Works great. Not for everyone, but it's your bike. I would run with it.

Old 05-09-2013 | 01:12 PM
Vic Bronco
Road Captain

I like the look of the bag you're considering, I just don't think it would give you all that much more space.

Have you considered putting the bag on the front side of the sissy bar and using bungie straps instead of nylon traps to tie it down? If all you're using it is for to work, the gym and then back home I don't think the looks are terrible, and since bungie cords are rounded they tend to roll instead of rub on your powdercoating, so there is less likelihood that you're going to rub anything off over time.

I've strapped stuff onto my sissybar with both nylon and bungies over a period of 3 years on my last bike, never had anything wear off on it. With the bobber-ish look the Slim's trying to recreate I don't think a few wear spots on the sissybar would necessarily look out of place anyway.

Old 05-09-2013 | 02:01 PM
Totally Bored
Road Captain

Originally Posted by SoCalSoftailSlim
Opinions welcome.
I had a Solo Bag. Loved the look but it just didn't fit enough stuff.

Tried a nap sack and hated it.

Detachable saddle bags

I can fit everything in them for work and pick up a gallon of milk or a six pack of beer on the way home. Still don't really dig the look of saddle bags but they come off real fast so it's all good.

You said "opinions welcome"

Quick Reply: Considering a solo saddlebag (not swingarm) on my Slim. Opinions welcome