Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Info on lowering kits???

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2013, 10:32 AM
Ironhorse_cowboy
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Info on lowering kits???

I have a 2005 heritage and I'm planning on putting a 21" wheel in the front shortly. I know I will have to lower the front to keep the trail and ride right but I want to lower the back too. How much will I have to lower the front to keep it right? I want to lower the back the full 2" but don't know the total amount I would have to lower the front. Also where can I find the good lowering kits for my bike? Burly makes one for the front but I haven't found any for the rear other than the cheap bolt swaps. Any help is appreciated. Thanks

Old 05-08-2013, 10:38 AM
Ramboamt
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ironhorse_cowboy
I have a 2005 heritage and I'm planning on putting a 21" wheel in the front shortly. I know I will have to lower the front to keep the trail and ride right but I want to lower the back too. How much will I have to lower the front to keep it right? I want to lower the back the full 2" but don't know the total amount I would have to lower the front. Also where can I find the good lowering kits for my bike? Burly makes one for the front but I haven't found any for the rear other than the cheap bolt swaps. Any help is appreciated. Thanks
You can go with the Progressive Mono-Tube front suspension 2" lowered unit and the shotgun Shock air suspension system. You will have THE best ride out there with this set up.

Old 05-08-2013, 11:05 AM
Mikey8717
Cruiser

What he said mono-tubes and shootgun.

Old 05-08-2013, 11:26 AM
SanJuanRon
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 147 Likes on 95 Posts

I recently installed a 21"/18" wheel combo on my 05 Heritage and lowered my front 1" with the Progressive lowering kit. The rear was already lowered 1". The change to 21"/18" with the front lowered 1" really didn't change the ride at all. I was advised by my Indy not to drop the front more than 1" due to tire rub. SJ Ron

Old 05-08-2013, 12:23 PM
Benway
Elite HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

The roads around here are bad and I mean bad. Is two inches down in front going to handle these sucky roads and potholes without becoming overly harsh due to limited travel? Be honest now, not just another "I just spent $400 on this and it's fantastic!"

Old 05-08-2013, 08:00 PM
Ironhorse_cowboy
Novice

Ron do you have links to these things? And I have the same question about the 2" drop. I want my ride to set as low as possible for a cool look, but will I have issues with clearance or anything else? Thanks for the feedback guys

Old 05-08-2013, 08:27 PM
Slamed Slim
Advanced

Dropped the wife's Heritage 2 inches and no clearance problems

Old 05-09-2013, 12:23 AM
Den Clem
Novice

The more you lower the less cornering clearance you'll have. If you're already scraping your floorboards it will get worse.

Old 05-09-2013, 12:45 AM
SanJuanRon
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 147 Likes on 95 Posts

[QUOTE=Ironhorse_cowboy;11269635]Ron do you have links to these things? And I have the same question about the 2" drop. I want my ride to set as low as possible for a cool look, but will I have issues with clearance or anything else? Thanks for the feedback guys[/QUOTE

If you go on Ebay, do a search on Progressive Lowering Kit (they are around $85 for an 05 Softail). SJ Ron

Old 05-09-2013, 01:30 AM
Not2slim
Advanced

I lowered my Slim 2" in the rear and 1 3/4" (progressive springs) in the front. I was scrapping floorboards all the time till I put the shotgun on the rear. Then I would just bump up the height while riding an inch. I know have a 23" front rim which raised the front of the bike up a bit. Now I never scrape and still like the stance of the bike. I highly recommend the Shotgun shock. They ride truly amazing and have a major WOW factor when you come to a stop and slam the bike.

Quick Reply: Info on lowering kits???