Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam installation cost?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2013 | 06:35 AM
skiddd
Supporter

Originally Posted by Notgrownup
I rented the tools for free at auto zone.. blind hole puller and bearing/seal installer. It ain'r rocket science you know...just took my time, i ain't no wrench but i took shop in High School and tinkered around with cars over the years... i have regular tools but the only special tools i needed was feeler gauges and a straight edge...
Took my time, pictures, bags marked, watched videos & followed the manual....
Some will make it sound really complicated and make you feel like you need to pay somebody hundreds of dollars...The TC96 is like a freaking tractor motor...the tolerances are not that tight like a new car....i say watch the video and go for it, just document and take your time.
If you want to buy the installer / remover tool there is nothing wrong with this but you don't have to...

Are the tools in the picture from Harbor Freight?

Old 05-09-2013 | 06:44 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by ryanek9freak
That puller would work just fine, but installing the new bearings is where you need the harley specific installer, as it has lip that sets the bearings exactly .010" below the surface of the case, which is critical. I just went ahead and bought the tools from heartland, the puller/installer, and cam lock tool was about $140 total. Cam service kit with bearings, about $100. You could install the bearings without the heartland tool, but you'd need to take a depth measurement on the old ones first, with a dial indicator, and make dam sure you get it the same with the new ones.

That depth measurement is what sets the backlash on your cams, you don't want it too tight or too loose.
You know i don't believe that is correct... Somebody might prove me wrong but i think that the cams in the cam plate determine the depth...any who... i ain't no mechanic but, my cams are in the bike for over 25000 miles now and no issues...Many on here have used this method and it works...they have to put specs and some tolerances in the manual but i don't think that .010" make much differenece in that area... You tap the frozen bearing in lightly until it sits and voila..Like i said earlier...nothing wrong with using the installer tool but the other way works...I've not heard of anybody having any failure by using the simple way yet??? So must work ok. You can measure the depth with a straight edge and a feeler gauge.

Old 05-09-2013 | 07:43 AM
nridge
6th Gear

I did it also over the winter, bearing puller form autozone was the only special
tool I needed, It's not really that difficult if you have the service manual and take
your time.

Old 05-09-2013 | 11:03 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by skiddd
Are the tools in the picture from Harbor Freight?
Yes, i was gonna buy them but why when you can rent them for free....

Old 05-10-2013 | 08:33 PM
oct1949
Club Member

Pending on if U use new adj P-rods or use old one,, but anywhere from 3-5hrs labor, just for install,

plus any tuning afterwards..