Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam installation cost?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2013 | 06:38 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member

Wrong post....But my Dealer quoted me $950.00 plus dyno tune.....I did it myself.

Old 05-08-2013 | 06:39 AM
Dixie Dreg
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by cwsharp
I don't know about those particular cam designs but even though Andrews creates Wood's cams, they have a different spec. When I was looking, the ramp of the Wood's cams were steeper. More aggressive, meaner sound, harder on the valve train I would think... did I say they sounded meaner?

C#
Did you do a bike to bike comparison, same bike, different cams?

Old 05-08-2013 | 06:47 AM
Dixie Dreg
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by cwsharp
I don't know about those particular cam designs but even though Andrews creates Wood's cams, they have a different spec. When I was looking, the ramp of the Wood's cams were steeper. More aggressive, meaner sound, harder on the valve train I would think... did I say they sounded meaner?

C#

Old 05-08-2013 | 07:10 AM
Biggerfoot
Tourer

Originally Posted by ryanek9freak
That's because it is easy. Nothing more than your time and tools. I can tell you though, once I bought all the cam bearing tools and other things I needed, I might as well have paid someone to do it. And I'm a mechanic with $40k in tools. Didn't have any harley specific stuff though.
About how much were the special tools you needed? I am in the same boat with regards to the cam bearings.

Old 05-08-2013 | 06:18 PM
2012Fatso
|
Cruiser

I know I could do the install myself but I work a lot and the free time I do have I like to spend riding not wrenching.

Old 05-08-2013 | 06:20 PM
rooti
Ultimate HDF Member

Aussietx just got his done for 1200 including the dyno (not a HD dealer, but better)

Old 05-08-2013 | 06:39 PM
Sgt_Jim
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by 2012Fatso
I know I could do the install myself but I work a lot and the free time I do have I like to spend riding not wrenching.

If you know what you're doing, using adjustable pushrods, have the tools you need, it's about a 2 1/2 hour job, and really it's very very easy to do. The hardest parts will be adjusting the pushrod to spec, and removing your exhaust.

If you decide to do it yourself, and you need any assistance, feel free to PM me or post in the FatBoy Lo owners thread.

Old 05-08-2013 | 08:44 PM
cwsharp
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by Dixie Dreg
I heard a touring bike with a Woods cam in it that sounded great. I decided to look at one for my Nightrain and also heard that "they are made by Andrews". I talked to Andrews and asked about the difference between the two and that was the answer that I got. No, I have not heard one running in an '06 Nightrain but a steeper ramp makes a cam sound like the one I heard on the Touring bike so it all made sense to me. The only way I can describe it is that it 'cackles' more. The overlap between the lobes was supposedly the same, also.

The valves open faster and stay 'more' open longer with a steeper ramp. I don't know if the cam in the touring bike was degreed to advance the cam timing or not. I don't know what the lift was, nothing. I used to know the cam number but that was many moons ago.

That's all I can offer as an observation. Woods cams have a great reputation. I would presume that there is a licensing agreement that keeps Andrews from following Wood's design (or they just don't like it).

C#

Old 05-09-2013 | 06:06 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Biggerfoot
About how much were the special tools you needed? I am in the same boat with regards to the cam bearings.
I rented the tools for free at auto zone.. blind hole puller and bearing/seal installer. It ain'r rocket science you know...just took my time, i ain't no wrench but i took shop in High School and tinkered around with cars over the years... i have regular tools but the only special tools i needed was feeler gauges and a straight edge...
Took my time, pictures, bags marked, watched videos & followed the manual....
Some will make it sound really complicated and make you feel like you need to pay somebody hundreds of dollars...The TC96 is like a freaking tractor motor...the tolerances are not that tight like a new car....i say watch the video and go for it, just document and take your time.
If you want to buy the installer / remover tool there is nothing wrong with this but you don't have to...

Attached Thumbnails Cam installation cost?-blindholepuller.jpg   Cam installation cost?-beraingbushingset.jpg  
Old 05-09-2013 | 06:31 AM
ryanek9freak
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Notgrownup
I rented the tools for free at auto zone.. blind hole puller and bearing/seal installer. It ain'r rocket science you know...just took my time, i ain't no wrench but i took shop in High School and tinkered around with cars over the years... i have regular tools but the only special tools i needed was feeler gauges and a straight edge...
Took my time, pictures, bags marked, watched videos & followed the manual....
Some will make it sound really complicated and make you feel like you need to pay somebody hundreds of dollars...The TC96 is like a freaking tractor motor...the tolerances are not that tight like a new car....i say watch the video and go for it, just document and take your time.
If you want to buy the installer / remover tool there is nothing wrong with this but you don't have to...
That puller would work just fine, but installing the new bearings is where you need the harley specific installer, as it has lip that sets the bearings exactly .010" below the surface of the case, which is critical. I just went ahead and bought the tools from heartland, the puller/installer, and cam lock tool was about $140 total. Cam service kit with bearings, about $100. You could install the bearings without the heartland tool, but you'd need to take a depth measurement on the old ones first, with a dial indicator, and make dam sure you get it the same with the new ones.

That depth measurement is what sets the backlash on your cams, you don't want it too tight or too loose.

Quick Reply: Cam installation cost?