Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lowered with SS , now belt rubbing . mmm.

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2013 | 07:51 PM
klf33
|
Outstanding HDF Member
Default Lowered with SS , now belt rubbing . mmm.

So guys. the shotgun is much fun to ride with.. I can go on and on .

but when I slam the bike low and want to ride it like that and be cool , I did hear this 'whinning' sound, so I stop and look.. and keep looking.. finally it turned out the belt is rubbing on the primary (right under the oil tank).

I did some google search and found that some people talk about taking a chunk out of primary without effect.

I wonder, how much did you take off ? wouldn't that create a sharp edge, even more dangerous if it rubbed ? Do I have to take the primary inner out ? (that is a major job !).

I can't wait to hear from you all.

Old 05-05-2013 | 08:45 PM
jreichart
Road Warrior

My belt rubs a bit too, mostly just on big dips but I'm only 2" lower than stock. Thought it was rubbing the primary, so i was going to grind the opening a bit at the top this past winter. When I had the wheel off and got a good look at it, it wasn't rubbing the primary at all. It's rubbing on the starter jack shaft. Not much you can do but go to a smaller trans pulley. I've put about 5k on it lowered and haven't had any issue, just kinda polishes the top side of the belt. If you're running around slammed, then it will obviously be worse. I haven't heard of any major issue with the belts though, lots of the train guys run around slammed and don't seem to have any problems.

Old 05-05-2013 | 08:50 PM
TXFXST04
Cruiser

I have legend air and it does the same thing when slammed all the way down, I just ignore the whistle and go!

Old 05-05-2013 | 09:33 PM
m i k e
Ultimate HDF Member

you would think shotgun would maybe mention this?
ive read alot of threads w/ you guys and i dont remember reading belt rubbing issues
of any sort w/ that kit? i have a sas never had any probs after a year or so
not tryin to be negative at all just wonder why, i know you just spent a **** load of time and $$$$ on yer fxst and a belt that rubs is not that great, hope you get a solution as i know u will

Old 05-05-2013 | 10:07 PM
klf33
|
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by m i k e
you would think shotgun would maybe mention this?
ive read alot of threads w/ you guys and i dont remember reading belt rubbing issues
of any sort w/ that kit? i have a sas never had any probs after a year or so
not tryin to be negative at all just wonder why, i know you just spent a **** load of time and $$$$ on yer fxst and a belt that rubs is not that great, hope you get a solution as i know u will
I would not say this is a shotgun thing Mike, but probably all 'lowering' kits I know guys who have done some drastic stuff (like reshaping the swing arm to lower the seat even more). who had the same problem.

I agree with you that most people tend to discuss how great the ride is (which it is, I mean 2" lowered was more comfortable than my 422s were lowered 1.5") the thing is, it is tempting to go lower, you just want to go lower , and now I get the whinning noise..

Will watch the belt and ignore the noise.. but for a minute there I thought the cops were chasing me with this 'awwwwwww.. hawl' LOL

Old 05-05-2013 | 10:08 PM
klf33
|
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by jreichart
My belt rubs a bit too, mostly just on big dips but I'm only 2" lower than stock. Thought it was rubbing the primary, so i was going to grind the opening a bit at the top this past winter. When I had the wheel off and got a good look at it, it wasn't rubbing the primary at all. It's rubbing on the starter jack shaft. Not much you can do but go to a smaller trans pulley. I've put about 5k on it lowered and haven't had any issue, just kinda polishes the top side of the belt. If you're running around slammed, then it will obviously be worse. I haven't heard of any major issue with the belts though, lots of the train guys run around slammed and don't seem to have any problems.
I am starting to see marks on the top

Old 05-05-2013 | 10:08 PM
black01
Tourer

Does the SAS not go as low? Shouldn't matter the brand of air ride, if you go that low the belt has to go somewhere.

Old 05-05-2013 | 10:15 PM
black01
Tourer

The noise is the ribs on the top of the belt. Mine stopped after a few miles. There is slight rub marks,but not enough to hurt anything. I wouldn't think that you have enough nice roads to ride that low for very long anyway.

klf33
|
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by black01
Does the SAS not go as low? Shouldn't matter the brand of air ride, if you go that low the belt has to go somewhere.
This is how low it was when the whaling noise was very obvious.

Kowan
Ultimate HDF Member

I never ride fully slammed, so I've never had the belt rub.
I have the rebound dialed up when lowered to keep from hitting the bumper stop also.

Quick Reply: Lowered with SS , now belt rubbing . mmm.