Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lowered with SS , now belt rubbing . mmm.

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2013 | 08:54 PM
TXFXST04
Cruiser

Originally Posted by klf33
TBONE my buddy ,
We found the answer as usual from the good guys in the Night Train thread thanks folks ...

Seems that prior to 2005 bikes ran different front/rear sprocket combination, (probably related to the introduction of the 6 speed in 2006).

Our 'older' sprockets set the belt higher hence the rubbing situation.

It seems sprocket change is in order but according to everybody, I can go at least 15-20K before the belt is in danger and then replace sprocket.

I will try to minimize the rubbing in the mean while .
Got the answer to why my legend air whistles Dixie at me when slammed.. thanks!!..damn sprocket..haha

Old 05-07-2013 | 07:14 AM
rkduq20
Tourer

ive ridden my bike slammed on the bump stops for 33200 miles and my belt has been rubbing since probably mile 1 and havent had an issue. the top of it just looks polished thats all. as long as it doesnt look like its cutting the belt you are good. unless you are rolling holy horsepower you would be fine. if you have a crap ton of torque and horsepower and use it, then i would think about replacing the belt.

Old 05-07-2013 | 07:22 AM
klf33
|
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by rkduq20
ive ridden my bike slammed on the bump stops for 33200 miles and my belt has been rubbing since probably mile 1 and havent had an issue. the top of it just looks polished thats all. as long as it doesnt look like its cutting the belt you are good. unless you are rolling holy horsepower you would be fine. if you have a crap ton of torque and horsepower and use it, then i would think about replacing the belt.
Nahhh I have mild , very mild torque .. I am glad I discovered this amazing new way of polishing my belt .
Interesting stuff, I learn something new every day on this forum , thanks guys, I would have been really lost without all the experience you offer here, I can only try to repay it back when I can.

Old 05-07-2013 | 09:53 AM
tbonetony06
Outstanding HDF Member

slammed meaning I ride with no ride height on the SS and then I just add a tad of rebound.

Old 05-07-2013 | 03:18 PM
rancid13
Cruiser

Originally Posted by rkduq20
Interested to see what yours looks like... I've been having this problem for about 10k miles now(since I lowered it). My belt is pretty EFFED because of it. I've asked around to a few guys on the forum. One changed to a 29 tooth pulley, the other just says he lets it rub. I like to yank on the throttle just as much as anyone, that and running for a while(belt getting hot) kinda makes me think twice. My buddies tell me I'm dumb as sh** to ride around like this... Recently I started listening to them and am about to have the belt replaced and raise the bike up about half an inch. Here's how it looks:

Attached Thumbnails Lowered with SS , now belt rubbing . mmm.-belt-rubbing.jpg  
Old 05-07-2013 | 03:28 PM
klf33
|
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by rancid13
Interested to see what yours looks like... I've been having this problem for about 10k miles now(since I lowered it). My belt is pretty EFFED because of it. I've asked around to a few guys on the forum. One changed to a 29 tooth pulley, the other just says he lets it rub. I like to yank on the throttle just as much as anyone, that and running for a while(belt getting hot) kinda makes me think twice. My buddies tell me I'm dumb as sh** to ride around like this... Recently I started listening to them and am about to have the belt replaced and raise the bike up about half an inch. Here's how it looks:
Rancid, you bring a good point regarding heat effect, I would be worried too, I am currently running as los as possible without rubbing

Old 05-11-2013 | 07:48 AM
Branner
Road Warrior

There's always chain drive.

Old 05-11-2013 | 07:52 AM
klf33
|
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Branner
There's always chain drive.
mmm.. chain rubbing... flying debris ... mmmmmm...

Old 05-11-2013 | 08:29 AM
rkduq20
Tourer

Originally Posted by rancid13
thats what my belt looks like pretty much. what does the under surface look like? ive not had any problems with mine. and my bike has 33200 miles on it. so its look like that for at lease 20k probably more like 27k to 30k

Old 05-11-2013 | 08:33 AM
Branner
Road Warrior

KLF: I just checked my bike, there are wear marks from my chain.

Are you in Toronto? I renewed my passport, a ride from Buffalo is only about an hour away. It'd be nice to take a look at that bike in person.

Last edited by Branner; 05-11-2013 at 08:46 AM.

Quick Reply: Lowered with SS , now belt rubbing . mmm.