Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lowered with SS , now belt rubbing . mmm.

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2013 | 10:01 AM
dennyo
Seasoned HDF Member

When mine was Rubbin, I Tightened the belt , 1/8 too 1/4 turn - No more rubbin

Old 05-06-2013 | 10:13 AM
Chip Hazard
Cruiser

I too find it interesting that with all the, Shotgun Shock is God ,threads this has never been mentioned before

Old 05-06-2013 | 10:24 AM
Raddazzz
Road Captain

quickest fix is just raise the bike a tad when your rollin

Old 05-06-2013 | 10:28 AM
klf33
|
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by dennyo
When mine was Rubbin, I Tightened the belt , 1/8 too 1/4 turn - No more rubbin
How did you do that ? because it looks like it is rubbing at the top of the belt touching the bottom of the Primary lip under oil tank.

wouldn't tightening the belt (I am assuming by moving rear wheel) raise the belt even higher and make it touch more ? what am I missing ? or you think the belt moves up and down too much ?

Old 05-06-2013 | 10:30 AM
Kowan
Ultimate HDF Member

It has been mentioned in the past. Normally it was happening when the bumper stop was removed or a thinner one was used.

One thread years ago showed were the guy removed material from the inner primary case to get clearance after he changed the bumper to allow an even lower ride then stock bottomed out.

Old 05-06-2013 | 10:31 AM
klf33
|
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Kowan
It has been mentioned in the past. Normally it was happening when the bumper stop was removed or a thinner one was used.

One thread years ago showed were the guy removed material from the inner primary case to get clearance after he changed the bumper to allow an even lower ride then stock bottomed out.
Oh, the belt really rubs at least 1 inch before the bike bottoms down to the stops , I am sure I did not remove them , they are there and functional.

<edit> it seems the converntional wisdome here is that 2" under is no problems (which is what you can do with 422s) but the ride quality is better and you can drop the bike when you park it to look good, but you can not ride say 2.5" lower or 3" lower without dealing with the rubbing belt issue.

Like others said, I am baffled that nobody mentioned this before in a more pronounced way, I always assumed there is at least a person here or there who likes to ride with the bike slammed.

That does not take anything from JD and his crew and the design, Top Notch all in all.

Last edited by klf33; 05-06-2013 at 10:34 AM.
Old 05-06-2013 | 10:43 AM
Kowan
Ultimate HDF Member

klf33 you are correct about many have stated they ride all the time fully slammed with no mention of their belt rubbing.

I know most think slamming the bike is the only purpose of the Shotgun.
I got it for it's on the fly adjustments to both rider height and rebound.

Being able to increase or decrease the rebound depending a rough section of road makes the purchase worth it for me.

I'm sure many love being able to change it for solo to two up riding.

klf33, it that a 16 or 18 inch rear wheel? Because it looks pretty deep lowered into the rear fender in your picture.

Old 05-06-2013 | 10:47 AM
dennyo
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by klf33
How did you do that ? because it looks like it is rubbing at the top of the belt touching the bottom of the Primary lip under oil tank.

wouldn't tightening the belt (I am assuming by moving rear wheel) raise the belt even higher and make it touch more ? what am I missing ? or you think the belt moves up and down too much ?
......... Yep - mine would Rub when I let off on the gas and the belt would get a little slack in it a Rub just fur a second.

Old 05-06-2013 | 10:52 AM
tbonetony06
Outstanding HDF Member

Is this just a Train issue because I ride my Deluxe slammed with just a tad of rebound and I never rub, never bottom out, nothing! I have had no issues and since day one it's been sweet as candy. In fact, I have not heard of anyone having any issues until klf33 got his used set, which I thought got replaced. Oh well, still the best mod on my bike and that says a lot since the only things stock on my bike is the frame, the tins and the wheels. Well, even though they have tint added my lights are stock too. I am more than happy with mine, the price, the value, the benefit's and the performance. I would buy another one tomorrow if I bought a 2nd bike, 3rd, 4th or 5th too.

Old 05-06-2013 | 10:53 AM
klf33
|
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Kowan
klf33 you are correct about many have stated they ride all the time fully slammed with no mention of their belt rubbing.

I know most think slamming the bike is the only purpose of the Shotgun.
I got it for it's on the fly adjustments to both rider height and rebound.

Being able to increase or decrease the rebound depending a rough section of road makes the purchase worth it for me.

I'm sure many love being able to change it for solo to two up riding.

klf33, it that a 16 or 18 inch rear wheel? Because it looks pretty deep lowered into the rear fender in your picture.
It is the 16 inch, and the bike had 1" of travel down from there !. but it was rubbing already, like I said, probably my geometry is out of whack, we will see what the stock rake trees will do !.

Every one has reasons for SS, some lowering it parking, some for changing on the fly, I wanted to be the 'set it and forget it' type, I also wanted some flexibility in height sometimes I get into twisties and I did scrape real bad (I have to replace boards every season, I have effectively reshaped my lower pipes ).

But I was also disappointed that when I tried to raise the bike on the fly (while riding) it becomes too mushy, too soft, very vague handling, and kills the cornering, because I have to adjust the firmness too, BUT then I must stop and do that . so this dream of 'ride cool and low' then once you hit the twisties flip the switch.. and twist along, then flip back and ride cool and low .... is not happening for me.

I can not say I am disappointed still, I like the fact that it rides relatively better than the 422's and .5" lower as well, and I am glad I did buy the used set from rkduk, and on the occasional odd day when my wife decides to ride, she will be happy as well.

I am just being realistic here, the product is great, the support is fantastic, you can not get any better communication than with JD (though he quickly detected my accent and asked me if my mechanic speaks english ) , So I do not regret the purchase all together.

I am still looking for a solution for this belt thing.. although I may do what others said about 'letting it whine and keep an eye on it ' !

Quick Reply: Lowered with SS , now belt rubbing . mmm.