Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Deluxe weep Oil

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2013 | 02:47 AM
Raum68
|
1st Gear
Default New Deluxe weep Oil

Hello

Just a couple of words to me. I am from Germany, 31 years old, and i bought a brand new Deluxe in two tone birch white/midnight pearl. It was a dream sice i was a child to own an Harley. After some Honda's i ralized my Dream.
But after 250 km, i noticed some Oil weep under Both Cylinders and at the Oil lines at the Engine side. After i cleaned it with some soap water and washed it with steam cleaner i made a ride on the German Autobahn for about 50 km. Than i noticed some little bubbles at both cylinders where they meet the crankcase.
I am working as an mechanik built and repait Heavy Duty Dieselengines known as Dd13 Dd15/16 in the Usa. When we use too much oil or crease and the Enginge turns hot on the testbench it look simular to that issue on my Bike.
I rode some Threads here in this Forum about that problem, but i could not find a Thread that somebody had that issue and the same posted that this problem has gone after a while.

Sorry for my bad English, i hope everybody could understand what i want to say

Please let me know that is not a big issue on my Bike, i did not want to let disassamble a brand new engine...

Old 05-05-2013 | 03:16 AM
skiddd
Supporter

There's a thread in the softail forum where a couple people had this problem and it went away. it seems there's a coating on the engine from the factory that heats up and comes off slowly and finally goes away...... that MIGHT BE IT but make sure..... hopefully someone that has this problem will chime in........... good luck Man and ride safely...

Old 05-05-2013 | 05:12 AM
Rodzilla6
Road Warrior

Welcome to the forum. Good folks and info here. Don't get discouraged, our HDs are great once you work the bugs out! But, I keep my Honda just in case...LOL. The other person who responded are right...someone else ran into this issue and it was too much assembly lube or similar...I would make sure it is noted at the dealer ON PAPERWORK just so you have a record, in case of problems down the line. Let us know what happens and hope it works out.

Old 05-05-2013 | 05:28 AM
kneesinthebreeze
Road Master

My new Deluxe seeped a little oil on the bottom big nut that holds the oil line to the casing. I wiped it off after the first couple of rides and kept checking it and it no longer is doing that. I also had what looked to be a oily substance at the bottom of my jugs and I would wipe it off after riding.

I thought I would keep an eye on it and mention it when I took it in for the 1000 mile service. I am now at a 1000 miles and all "seeping" has stopped completely. It was very little to begin with but I noticed it and now it is gone.

I have read it could be assembly lube. Take it in for the warranty if it bothers you, if not keep an eye on it and if like mine it will cease.

Mine is the same color as yours. I love it.

Attached Thumbnails New Deluxe weep Oil-april-2013-009.jpg  

Last edited by kneesinthebreeze; 05-05-2013 at 05:30 AM.
Old 05-05-2013 | 08:25 AM
FLSTF2010
Advanced

Had the same issues when i bought my fatboy new. It will stop after the lube burns off and the oil line may need tightened down more.

Old 05-05-2013 | 08:46 AM
Nicky Pass
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by kneesinthebreeze
My new Deluxe seeped a little oil on the bottom big nut that holds the oil line to the casing. I wiped it off after the first couple of rides and kept checking it and it no longer is doing that. I also had what looked to be a oily substance at the bottom of my jugs and I would wipe it off after riding.

I thought I would keep an eye on it and mention it when I took it in for the 1000 mile service. I am now at a 1000 miles and all "seeping" has stopped completely. It was very little to begin with but I noticed it and now it is gone.

I have read it could be assembly lube. Take it in for the warranty if it bothers you, if not keep an eye on it and if like mine it will cease.

Mine is the same color as yours. I love it.
I had the same issue on my CVO Breakout.....the oil line looked like it may have been leaking. I took it in and the took the line off and said there was an excessive amount of assembly lube, so they cleaned it and reset the lines and that cured it. As for the "weeping", its the same thing.....assembly lube. Its really noticable on the black engines.

Old 05-08-2013 | 03:06 PM
Raum68
|
1st Gear

Made a small trip today about 60 km. At home i noticed two spots on the primary side where the Cylinderbottom was bubbeling for about 5 minutes. And i have seen some " wet " spots around the 4 headbolts i can see. There is also some brown colored stuff around the headbolts

I am realy confused about that. Did anybody have that bubbles?

Old 11-14-2013 | 01:34 PM
zak98
Advanced

bubbling is another issue i think.. i had some bubbling at the pry hole on the case. they had to crack the entire case on a 2012 (with only 750 miles on it). i have weeping at the rear cylinder but it never bubbles, just weeps slowly and i have to clean off every 40 miles or so. they replaced the o-rings once already and will not do anything else until it "gets worse".

Old 11-14-2013 | 02:10 PM
XKnight
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Raum68
bought a brand new Deluxe in two tone birch white/midnight pearl.

i noticed some Oil weep under Both Cylinders and at the Oil lines at the Engine side. After i cleaned it with some soap water and washed it with steam cleaner i made a ride on the German Autobahn for about 50 km. Than i noticed some little bubbles at both cylinders where they meet the crankcase.

Please let me know that is not a big issue on my Bike, i did not want to let disassamble a brand new engine...
If the bike is new then it's under warranty. Take it to the dealer and let them look at it. Whatever you do, don't start pulling the engine apart yourself because then your warranty will likely be gone if in fact there is an issue.

Old 11-15-2013 | 11:05 AM
oct1949
Club Member

Originally Posted by skiddd
There's a thread in the softail forum where a couple people had this problem and it went away. it seems there's a coating on the engine from the factory that heats up and comes off slowly and finally goes away...... that MIGHT BE IT but make sure..... hopefully someone that has this problem will chime in........... good luck Man and ride safely...
I Read the same threads a while back.. not unusual to see a little at first.
Raum, just wipe it clean and recheck, may have to repeat a couple times..

If it doesn't stop and there is an issue, then let Ur warranty do its job and let the dealer deal with it .

Quick Reply: New Deluxe weep Oil