Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another Speedo/Tach combo review and info..

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2013, 04:37 PM
FroggyFatBoy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Another Speedo/Tach combo review and info..

I installed the new speed/tach combo that everyone is raving about. Nice package, HD did their homework on this. The color and layout possibilities seem endless. I'm running the white background with blue needle on the speedo, red needle on the tach and green background on the LCD display. I know it sounds crazy, but it lets me separate the different areas with ease.

The part number is 7090007A, but the parts guy brad said his order part number ended in a F, so they've done some revisions to it for sure.

The paperwork says the gear indicator will not operate on 07's and back. It does on mine, i wasn't expecting it to, but the fact that it does is an added bonus. One thing that doesn't work is the Batt indicator light, and i can honestly say i never noticed if the orig came on as a bulb test when turning the ign on. I stopped by the dealer and asked them about it, they weren't sure either, so we started flipping ign's on, on all the floor models and none of them had the batt light come on with the ign on. wierd.... I'll have to find my owners manual and see what it says about the batt indicator light and its function.

while talking to them, they said that they have also seen that the gear indicator will work on 07 and up with a 6 spd trans including roadkings. anything with a 5spd that feature hasn't worked for them.

all in all i think its a great simple mod to do and really changes the look of the bike from the riders point of view. the best thing about it, i bought it with my harley chrome cash and only had to shell out like 17 bucks and change for the tax on the part.

so what colors are others using on their gauges ? just curios is all.

Last edited by FroggyFatBoy; 05-02-2013 at 04:40 PM.
Old 05-02-2013, 05:54 PM
jam436
Supporter
Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts

Blue gauges, red needles, white LED window.

The one strange thing about the new speedos is, while they do everything the original did, (hell, it even has the clock) they left out one toggle, the one for Gear/RPM.
Granted, the gear indicator has been relocated in a different format, and the tach is now analog, I'm just wondering why they went out of their way to remove that one?
I mean, would it have killed them to leave it in?

Last edited by jam436; 05-02-2013 at 08:29 PM.
Old 05-02-2013, 05:55 PM
Midgard
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the more I read these new speedo reviews the more it makes me want one - thnx for helping me blow more loot - jerks lol

Old 05-02-2013, 06:28 PM
FroggyFatBoy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Midgard, You're welcome..

Oh, don't worry about the money, obama prints more everyday !

Jam, a digi readout on rpms would be nice, specially since the tach isn't that detailed due to the small size. it would have been really nice if they could have angled the gauge face by a few degrees to make it more in your sight line of just glancing down. it is nice having a tach without having hanging off the bars. I don't use it to shift but i like gauges and knowing whats going on.

Old 05-02-2013, 08:02 PM
Mike NY
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

This has to be one of the most talked about mods since Cholos and 21" Wheels...

Nice Upgrade though!!

Mike
NY

Old 05-02-2013, 08:22 PM
bigblock59
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i have blue gauges to match my flush mount fuel gauge and gas cap i just installed, with red needles.