Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Joined the club

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2013 | 06:05 AM
brettnbama
|
Ultimate HDF Member
Default Joined the club

Well a couple days ago, I joined the ranks of "those that have been down." I had put about 100 miles on the crossbones since getting it back together. I was riding it to work to get everything re tightened and checked out. The bolt holding the upper portion of the brake caliper backed out while I was going about 30 mph. Front wheel locked, bike got super squirrelly and I ended up low siding. I am ok, just a few bumps and some minimal road rash. The bike is back in the shop waiting on insurance. Watch for my new thread crossbones makeover part two.....lol
Story, if u read this, the derby cover you did for me with my unit logo is trashed

Old 05-02-2013 | 07:15 AM
Dark lo
Road Captain

That is crazy, thank goodness that your ok.

Old 05-02-2013 | 07:18 AM
txphatboy
Road Warrior

Glad your okay. I did not do as many mods as you recently, but I just finished a bunch of motor work and had driven once or twice a few miles around town. Left on a Saturday to take it to get tuned about 70 miles, got in a brief shower on an oily road, dumped bike and went up under a truck a couple miles from tuner's shop. Bike's been down almost six weeks. Went from super excited to see what kind of power gains I got, to crappy feeling seeing bike on ground, to missing best couple months to ride. One good thing is I always wanted a solo seat with my phatail kit and now I am going to get one. Good luck with the latest mods.

Last edited by txphatboy; 05-02-2013 at 07:21 AM.
Old 05-02-2013 | 07:20 AM
t03cutt3r
Cruiser

At least you're here telling us about it as opposed to the other. Look forward to the rebuild thread.

Old 05-02-2013 | 07:30 AM
Leech1107
Tourer

That sucks man, but i prefer road rash over anything else that could of happened. Look forward to the next rebuild.

Old 05-02-2013 | 07:33 AM
tbonetony06
Outstanding HDF Member

Sorry about the bad news Dude. Like the other post said, your hear to tell the story and thats what is important. I'm sure it's tough looking at your bike but this could have gone bad or been a lot worse than it did. Bikes come and go, your limbs and life are but a 1 shot deal though. It's posts like this that makes me wonder if and when it will be my turn to hit the dirt. I can only hope it never happens. Keep us posted Dude.

Old 05-02-2013 | 07:44 AM
gregeinsc
Road Captain

I feel your pain too. Around Feb I poured 2k in my '12 Slim with some chrome, 1k service, SERT, Dyno, etc and was just getting to the point where I was really comfortable with the bike. Then a friend of mine and I were horsing around playing stupid one night and I dumped it, March 10th. My right knee won't ever be the same and the bike got 5k worth of damage. I spent the whole damned winter freezing my @ss off, dying for the warm weather to get here and my bike has been out of commission going on 2 months now. I took this opportunity to totally redo the entire bike just like I want sans wheels and part of that is a set of BR's bars. Quoted an 8 week lead time which most likely will extend out to 10 or more. So I won't be riding till late June if I am lucky. It sucks @ss when all of the guys I used to ride with gather outside in front of my house prior to taking off and I have to sit there and listen to it. Serves me right for being a dumb @ss. I have followed your builds and looking forward to seeing the makeover!

Old 05-02-2013 | 08:28 AM
tbonetony06
Outstanding HDF Member

WOW gregeinsc, bummer. I think the only thing worse than someone coming along and crashing my bike, a cager hitting me and so one would be to crash my bike myself from horsing around. That would be a tough pill to swallow. It's one of the main reasons I won't drink and drive anymore nor have I for years now. Nothing ever comes out good when I drink to access and I am not saying you were drinking either. Good luck to you as well on getting your bike back up and running. Did you file an insurance claim or because it was your fault and you don't want to jack your insurance premiums through the roof are you going to avoid that and fix it yourself? I feel for you guy's, I can't imagine looking at my bike after all that has been done to it, all mangled and broken.

Old 05-02-2013 | 08:30 AM
elizer
Road Captain

Glad ur ok

This is one club i dont wanna join

Old 05-02-2013 | 08:57 AM
Ramboamt
Road Warrior

Glad to hear your on the mend.

I've been there twice now, the "down" club. Once on my rice burner, I was hit head on by two crotch rockets in a right hand turn around a mountain, they where racing and cut the turn into my lane, ended up in a coma for three days, a busted jaw and left forearm compression fracture.

And the second time "down" on my Sporty, dumb move on my part, took a corner to fast for my riding experience on the bike, it was only 3 months old, and over $7500.00 in damage. I just got some nasty thumbs and bumps but the bike went end over end, OUCH!!!

Riding a lot slower now and with more forethought on our '12 Heritage. Don't wanna hurt her.

Quick Reply: Joined the club