Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Custom Chrome..Be Careful!

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2013, 04:49 PM
Bloozmann
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Custom Chrome..Be Careful!

I purchased black chrome hardware kit from Custom Chrome thru JP Cycles. It was a small set of 8 bolts for the bearing plate on my Deluxe. The stock bolts are whats known as "Sems" bolts which have a washer attached to the bolt and it is non removable. I expected the same style from Custom Chrome. Not only did they send just plain ol socket heads that they plated, they didn't even include any washers in the package. I called JP Cycles and they are going to investigate. In the meantime, I went to Custom Chromes website to send them an e mail to explain things. There is no e mail address listed for them, and if you call their number you get a voice recording. The man from JP Cycles said Custom Chrome won't even talk to consumers. If you don't have a dealer number, you won't get thru.

Get the picture?..I sure do!

Last edited by Bloozmann; 05-01-2013 at 04:53 PM.
Old 05-01-2013, 07:04 PM
tbonetony06
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Thanks for passing that along. I am always doing something to or on my bike but it doesn't look like I will be doing anything with or through them. I have no desire to give someone my money when they don't even want to talk to me or take an email from me. Shoot, they don't even give you a kiss anymore when they turn you around and bend you.

Old 05-01-2013, 07:31 PM
Bone Doc
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,913 Likes on 4,135 Posts

Originally Posted by Bloozmann
I purchased black chrome hardware kit from Custom Chrome thru JP Cycles. It was a small set of 8 bolts for the bearing plate on my Deluxe. The stock bolts are whats known as "Sems" bolts which have a washer attached to the bolt and it is non removable. I expected the same style from Custom Chrome. Not only did they send just plain ol socket heads that they plated, they didn't even include any washers in the package. I called JP Cycles and they are going to investigate. In the meantime, I went to Custom Chromes website to send them an e mail to explain things. There is no e mail address listed for them, and if you call their number you get a voice recording. The man from JP Cycles said Custom Chrome won't even talk to consumers. If you don't have a dealer number, you won't get thru.

Get the picture?..I sure do!
Did the item you ordered state they were "OEM replacement bolts" in black chrome? Are you sure you didn't receive what you ordered?

Old 05-01-2013, 08:21 PM
Bloozmann
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Bone Doc
Did the item you ordered state they were "OEM replacement bolts" in black chrome? Are you sure you didn't receive what you ordered?
Funny thing doc...They didn't say anything..In fact, the picture that JP Cycle showed of the item was not correct..It stated.." not actual product" under it..I guess assuming they would be as the stock ones were was a reach. But I would think they would qualify by saying something like.."No washers" etc ...But the number on the package was the same as I ordered..I'll say one thing..Black Chrome is gorgeous..The only problem is that it's so hard to find!

Last edited by Bloozmann; 05-01-2013 at 08:24 PM.
Old 05-01-2013, 09:17 PM
olongapo1
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

A buddy of mine purchased Chrome Brake and Clutch levers from Custom Chrome. Within 2 weeks the chrome was flaking off.

Old 05-01-2013, 09:23 PM
Red Eye
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

These are the kind of stories that I like. Let everyone know and the rip off artist will get their "come up ance"

Old 05-01-2013, 09:25 PM
SOUTH_TX_DEUCE
Advanced

Thanks for the heads up

Old 05-01-2013, 09:48 PM
skiddd
Supporter

Thanks for info, it will be remembered next time I need a part...........

Old 05-02-2013, 09:51 AM
Jesse_81
Road Captain

I see this so frequently. Seems like someone is complaining about it on or off the board, or something I've purchased myself. Seems to be I never get the REQUIRED hardware. Everyone that does any kind of mods to your bike and this goes for anything. household stuff, car stuff or anything really. Get familiar with thread pitches and sizes and you'll save yourself a lot of headache. Local hardware stores are going to carry not only whatever it is you need but a better quality as well (If you choose to buy the better stuff). Almost everything I've purchased aftermarket for my bike I've replaced with stainless hardware. I get caught in AT LEAST 3 or 4 rain storms a year during monsoon season riding to and from work and prevents rusted and seized up bolts is my reasoning, not to mention they're harder and less likely to round something off while tightening or loosening. Chasing wholesalers such as Custom Chrome is going to be a waste of time. Even if you get someone on the phone (which you're probably not going to) you're gonna get a paper pusher that don't snot about hardware to begin with. Ace Hardware... you're my savior! Lol.

Old 05-02-2013, 10:03 AM
tbonetony06
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I agree Jesse_81, I almost always go to Ace or Tru-Value for all of my hardware needs, including chrome nut's, bolt's and washers. I have found them to be of a much better quality and like you said I have never had trouble with their stuff rounding, stripping or the chrome flaking off. This has been said a million times over but you get what you pay for. I have noticed that the chrome hardware from these stores might be a tad more expensive but I have never had any problems with them either and that in and of itself has value to me.

Quick Reply: Custom Chrome..Be Careful!