Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

120r initial dyno results

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2013 | 04:59 PM
TennesseeGene
|
Cruiser

I want bottom end as well. I like that the power comes on at 2500 or earlier and lasts til 4000 because I rarely go over 3500 or so. The extra torque should give me some extra pull, but my top end suffered waaaay more than I expected...but For my intended use it will be more than I need just not the "bragging numbers" I wanted. I also guess I could end up somewhere around 120 or 125 on the hp and the torque should stay the same or rise a little which in the end with my exhaust is not too shabby and not killing the engine to put up huge numbers. In short, I should be glad she is healthy and powerful and stop whining LOL

Old 05-01-2013 | 05:05 PM
TennesseeGene
|
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Desertwndrr
Just to put it in perspective....I went in to my dyno with a break in tune. Started with 85/98 and rolled out with 101/116 inside of a few hours on the dyno.

WOW! Thanks, that really raised my spirits...I did not know there could be so much gained from a final tune. Either way I am going to have power and if this is all I get, then that is life I guess. But, knowing she actually, reasonably has a decent potential to rise makes me feel less like I wasted some money.

Old 05-01-2013 | 05:22 PM
TennesseeGene
|
Cruiser
Default Thanks for info lets see some pics!

Originally Posted by Snowyone
I like to heat cycle and then change oil frequently for the first 500 miles and then give it a workout in short bursts for the next five. I think the end result should mirror your intended use.
Does heat cycle mean starting it up from cold start and letting it idle up to operating temp and run for several minutes then turning her off to let her cool and repeating several times a day? That is what my tuner did for like 2 weeks before pulling a few quick pulls on the dyno to see where she needed to be to get a decent break in tune. He said somethign about rings cutting in properly as they expand from heat and not glazing them.

I know a little about engine maintenance but nothing about building a new engine let alone a performance engine. Also about the intended use, that may be another reason why it is lower than I thought because the gas around here is crap. So he may have tuned it to match what is available??? I tour a lot and for 6 months out of the year whether rain or shine this will be my mode of transportation so 3k a month in miles will not be far fetched...maybe this is all stuff that factored into the tune and I just did not know that it was a factor.

Either way thanks to everyone for the responses and let me see pics of y'alls bikes and dyno numbers my whining is over so lets have this thread become a fun read instead of my whine fest LOL

Old 05-04-2013 | 12:33 AM
TennesseeGene
|
Cruiser

so as I said I am in Japan so the break in has been seriously kickstarted by my builder and tuner, and the rest will be done by my cousin. My cousin said the engine is very effeciewnt and cool running. No word, as he just got it from the shop, on Gas mileag but I will update as I learn. I was told not to ride it over 3500 RPM for the first 1000 miles and to vary the RPM up and not ride the same RPM all the time or for a long time at one period.

Now the fun part. in 5th at 2200 RPM the bike is pulling above 60 and wanting to keep accelleratin as per my cousin. hard to keep her in the speed limit. Also no throttle is needed to take off. Just let the clutch out slowly and she will start going even uphill... Awesome. This thing is geared how I want it and apparantly runs real cool and smooth, neutral is hard to find but has been that way since i brought her home. Any comments on that? I am satisfied and whether or not i get the same numbers as anyone else is now irrelevant since I know the engine is healthy and responsive and more than I will even need. ABS light is blinking though so we have to find out why. gonna look in the manual and see and call the Dealer. Will keep updating for those interested in performance power and gas mileage and my final numbers.

Later

Old 05-21-2013 | 01:19 AM
TennesseeGene
|
Cruiser

Update:

My builder said that he does not expect anymore power and that the pipes are limiting the horsepower but not the torque so new pipes would increase horse and may lower or leave the torque where it is.

The ABS light issue was a simple read of the diagnostic system. The light flashes until reaching 12 MPH, then it stays steady for a second and goes out...Weird but that is what it is supposed to do.

They did adjust my Clutch cable length, which could have been done before apparantly, and now finding neutral is easy and no hassle at all.

Gas mileage is a bit lower than others have reported...with only having put 100 miles on the bike so far and not yet getting through a full tank...my cousin reports that the systems distance remaining numbers are 162 when he filled the tank up to the max. I do not know if the system learns and averages out MPG over time and after a few tanks will go down or up, but right now it is estimating 162 miles per 5 gallons of gas, or possibly more, and that is with very very regulated and controlled break in riding. I guess that 32.4 MPG is not bad mileage but was really hoping to at least get 180 per tank with interstate travel at a sustained speed of about 70 MPH for 2 hours. would make it more ideal for touring, but this is better than a poke in the eye with a stick.

Cousin said the bike wants to shift at about 2700-3000 RPM so when he reached over 60 in 5th at 2200 that means he was not even getting on it hard. I have low horsepower numbers but they do sustain pretty well into my RPM line so I think that she may pull hard through the RPM line but just accellerate slower at higher speeds...should be fuel effecient though to hit 70 in 6th as my RPM will be lower...Will update on that later this Summer as my trip to DC and Tennessee will be the proof in the pudding.

Thanks for the comments and let me know if you want more updates or any other specific questions answered about the build or the 120r in general.

Old 05-21-2013 | 06:04 AM
QC
Club Member
Riders Club Member

Your mileage will likely improve some as it breaks in, anything over 30 MPG on that monster should be ok, I think , but I don't know what others get. I'm getting 39 on my 98" that has not completed it's break-in. A 2-1 pipe will produce better numbers across the power band. Realizing this, I'm sticking with my Longshots for now cuz I love the look and the sound. that must be a hoot to ride!

Old 05-21-2013 | 06:24 AM
TennesseeGene
|
Cruiser

Originally Posted by QC
Your mileage will likely improve some as it breaks in, anything over 30 MPG on that monster should be ok, I think , but I don't know what others get. I'm getting 39 on my 98" that has not completed it's break-in. A 2-1 pipe will produce better numbers across the power band. Realizing this, I'm sticking with my Longshots for now cuz I love the look and the sound. that must be a hoot to ride!
I agree your scoot looks **** witht those long pipes. I am also keeping my pipes for looks and sound reasons...I will say with the mixture of performance looks and sound and consider it an x in the win column every time I twist the throttle and my grin spreads across my face. Unfortunately I do not know how much of a hoot she is to ride yet, but I will update very soon after throwing my leg over her!

Thanks for the comments and insight and thats a bad a$$ lookin scoot in ur pic there.

Old 05-21-2013 | 11:42 AM
Hogpro
Former Sponsor

I think 130 tq would make me happy.

Old 05-21-2013 | 02:08 PM
XARAN
Stellar HDF Member

Your bike looks great and those # are not bad. Tq is what you need for the type of riding you say you do and 130 is more than enough. You did not post what Woods cams are in the engine, the cams , pipes and tune could be keeping your HP down but if you like those pipes and you are more of a cruiser than the Tq is what will move you.

Gas mileage will improve after brake in.

I dont see a Tach on the bike in the pictures but you make a lot of RPM references to your and your cousins riding style and shift points, is there a tach hidden on the bike? Do you have a speedo / tach combo?

Old 05-21-2013 | 02:57 PM
2003Custom1200
Tourer

What cams did u stuff in it? Could be why ur numbers r hurting.

Quick Reply: 120r initial dyno results