Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No complaints...but is this normal?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2013 | 11:24 AM
AdrianVall
Elite HDF Member

Damn.. some of your guys numbers are killing me! I get 36-37 and my Fat Boy is all stock! All I have done to it are pipes. No A/C or tuner. I don't get it!?

Old 05-01-2013 | 11:57 AM
t03cutt3r
Cruiser

Originally Posted by AdrianVall
Damn.. some of your guys numbers are killing me! I get 36-37 and my Fat Boy is all stock! All I have done to it are pipes. No A/C or tuner. I don't get it!?
I noticed a MPG increase on the first tank after the Stg 1, pipes and tuned. Then it declined steadily cause I added BCT baffles and I started not being gentle with the throttle anymore.

Old 05-01-2013 | 12:02 PM
Earl IV
Tourer

Don't worry about it, they all ride like old women.

Old 05-01-2013 | 12:18 PM
tryus
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Koafarms
No pinging, and havnt noticed extra heat....thanks for the feedback, now I have an idea of what to pay attention to, if I notice it running significantly hotter over the next 100 or so I will take it back in to have it looked at or dyno'd.
Thanx again
From what I've read here many times, the dealer cannot, and will not, adjust your current map for a richer map, without you purchasing a tuner and having them dyno it. They have to flash an emmisions-legal map, which is too lean for power and engine health. But, you can buy those fl-vied-10's that socalsoftailslim mentioned. Check out Nightrider.com. These things are absolutely critical, imo, if you have a street map flashed by the dealer. They simply lie to the ecm, and cause it to think it's leaner than it is (which is already too lean), causing the injectors put more gas to the cylinders. That's really over-simplifying it, but they do work. You'll get more power than you have now, and a cooler engine. The fuel mileage will go down, but like DK said, great fuel mileage is often an indicator of a too-lean map. And if you're running a dealer flashed map, it's too lean. Not an expert, but I did stay at a, you know...

Old 05-01-2013 | 06:04 PM
jam436
Supporter

After my stage 1 on a 2012 Blackline, bassani firesweep, Big Sucker air. I noticed a significant change in MPG. I have run the numbers on my last three tanks of gas and I am getting around 50mpg. My miles to empty changed from around 190+/- when full, to 218+/-. I had the dealer do the stage one with whatever stock map they used, no Dyno. Has anyone else noticed a change this significant?
I know exactly what you mean.
After my Stage 1 remap a little over a month ago, I gained a full 4MPG, not to mention a boatload of decel popping and higher engine heat.
And from our pre-work discussions, both of them were exactly what the dealer assured me wouldn't happen...

See here:
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softa...than-ever.html

Today I went ahead and ordered the cable kit and SmartTune software & DVD for the SE Pro Super Tuner they sold me (and probably didn't even use...)
The ViED's confirmed that it was still running way too lean, so they were worth it to verify that, and I'm still amazed how much difference I felt just by tweaking the AFR - but I'm hoping to do better and hopefully find a long-term solution with the SE Tuner.

Old 05-01-2013 | 06:27 PM
Koafarms
|
Cruiser

You guys have convinced me, and I do have de-cell popping, contacted nightrider.com today and will order the vied-10 to richen it up. The last thing I need is burn up a new bike engine.

Old 05-01-2013 | 08:15 PM
jam436
Supporter

You guys have convinced me, and I do have de-cell popping, contacted nightrider.com today and will order the vied-10 to richen it up. The last thing I need is burn up a new bike engine.
PM sent...

Old 05-01-2013 | 08:34 PM
tryus
Road Captain

Originally Posted by jam436
PM sent...
Hmm, looks like someday's about to get a deal!

Old 05-02-2013 | 12:30 AM
jbg
Road Warrior

Sounds like a good tune to me. I've got the full Stage 1.

This weekend I did the Laughlin River Run. I got 250 miles on the first tank at 80 mph with a tank full of California gas. However I only got about 160 miles on the second tank. That 2nd tank was Arizona gas and we hit 115 a few times. It's how you ride, what gas you're running and what your bikes sweet spot is. I don't think you have anything to worry about. Just keep an eye on the heat for a bit and if nothing comes of it, your golden! Enjoy the ride.

Old 05-02-2013 | 11:10 AM
Imold
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army

Getting any pops from the engine? Just pipes are probably making your really lean stock mix run even leaner. Also a bit down on midrange power and you're compensating with more throttle, might be part of the lower mileage. If I'm right on that, your engine is running hotter. Checking the rear spark plug should tell you if it's running excessively lean.

Quick Reply: No complaints...but is this normal?