Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SE Perf Fork Oil Change (Fatty & Sporty) Report

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2013, 08:13 AM
Strgzr
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up SE Perf Fork Oil Change (Fatty & Sporty) Report

Hello everyone,

I haven't contributed much lately but thought I would put this out. I just did an 06 Fatty and 05 Sporty Custom fork oil change per the specifications in the shop manual. I noted the first few miles that the front end of both stood up more. But after a mile or two things settled down. Handling was vastly improved on both. The thing is, I figured the ride would suffer on bumpy concrete like highway. Actually to my surprise, both bikes are significantly smoother now on otherwise bumpy concrete highway.

Thinking this through a bit, I surmise that this could be that when the forks compress hitting a bump, that they don't compress "too large" making the next bump less of a stiff hit.

I'm sure that was coherent. Anyway, using SE Performance fork oil made a huge difference on two different chassis. The job didn't take long and the old oil was pretty dark grey after 10k Miles on both.

Tip, the handle of a plastic like milk carton (Wal-Mart drinking water) makes for a very nice funnel that reaches past the spring on the sporty. Never saw the spring on the Fatty. In fact both bikes had different procedures for the job. SE Performance Fork Oil - Easy day - Huge ride improvement. Ride Safe!!! Mike

Last edited by Strgzr; 04-28-2013 at 06:18 AM.
Old 04-27-2013, 02:28 PM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 487 Likes on 355 Posts

Great post. I recently upgraded the stock fork oil to the Harley Heavy Duty. Like you I was please all around with the improvement. I get that the MOCO puts the lightest oils and sets the shocks on the softest settings from the factory because they want to sell bikes. And the plushest ride probobly helps that happen. But after a while you find its not the best setup. The heavier fork oil really does improve the bikes ride and handleing. I almost chose the S/E like you, but so far the Heavy is working. Next fork oil change, I probably will do the S/E, given your positive comments.

Old 04-27-2013, 02:35 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 817 Likes on 803 Posts

Our Indy uses Bel-Ray fork oil and they rate their fork oil 10-20-30 weight.

I went with the 20W (10w BelRay fork oil is = to HD stock Fork Oil.) and though a little stiffer at first,, I also found that I like the heavy weight after a few miles.

Old 04-27-2013, 07:25 PM
KumaRide
Elite HDF Member
Received 187 Likes on 148 Posts

Maxima 15w. Much firmer then stock, not as firm as SE fork oil. Much better road feel, brake dive greatly reduced... Beware, fork oil viscosity/weight is not standard like motor oil.

Old 04-28-2013, 05:03 AM
Rodzilla6
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I had very similar positive results also! I changed my front and rear springs to progressive and that alone made a HUGE difference. The SE fork oil seems to make the ride a little firmer but overall much better! Change your front springs...my front end sagged 2 inches with the stock springs...1/4 inch with the new springs...best 100 bucks I spent on the bike.

Old 04-28-2013, 06:23 AM
Strgzr
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KumaRide
Maxima 15w. Much firmer then stock, not as firm as SE fork oil. Much better road feel, brake dive greatly reduced... Beware, fork oil viscosity/weight is not standard like motor oil.
I think there is something to this, the Performance Fork Oil - Heavy smells a bit like gear oil and not at all like standard motor oil.

Old 04-28-2013, 09:13 AM
KumaRide
Elite HDF Member
Received 187 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Strgzr
I think there is something to this, the Performance Fork Oil - Heavy smells a bit like gear oil and not at all like standard motor oil.
http://www.peterverdone.com/wiki/ind...spension_Fluid

The improved ride with only changing fork oil is well worth the time and only costs $10.