Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ALARM issue ... not being able to start bike

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2013, 02:55 PM
ghoticov
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Question ALARM issue ... not being able to start bike

I have been having an issue with not being able to start my bike right when I get on it. I know its not the key fob (the battery or not having it with me... don't ask me how I know :/ ). This has been happening for the past 3 months or so and it seems really random.

When I first get on the bike, the alarm goes off and I cannot start the bike. It doesn't matter that they key fob is in my pocket and I know the battery is good because I just changed it. I have tried to leave the kill switch off and put the ignition to ACCES. and hold both blinkers to try to disable the alarm and it doesn't work... the bike doesn't even give me the option to enter a code to disable the alarm.

It hasn't left me stranded yet (knock on wood) but I will just turn it off, on, hold both blinkers, turn kill switch off, then on...just different things and finally it will start. It is very random.

So what would be making the alarm not deactivate when I have the key fob in my pocket? And why would I not be able to manually override it using the code method (not even being able to put the code in)?

Thanks for your help!

Old 04-26-2013, 03:58 PM
jam436
Supporter
Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by ghoticov
I have been having an issue with not being able to start my bike right when I get on it. I know its not the key fob (the battery or not having it with me... don't ask me how I know :/ ). This has been happening for the past 3 months or so and it seems really random.

When I first get on the bike, the alarm goes off and I cannot start the bike. It doesn't matter that they key fob is in my pocket and I know the battery is good because I just changed it. I have tried to leave the kill switch off and put the ignition to ACCES. and hold both blinkers to try to disable the alarm and it doesn't work... the bike doesn't even give me the option to enter a code to disable the alarm.

It hasn't left me stranded yet (knock on wood) but I will just turn it off, on, hold both blinkers, turn kill switch off, then on...just different things and finally it will start. It is very random.

So what would be making the alarm not deactivate when I have the key fob in my pocket? And why would I not be able to manually override it using the code method (not even being able to put the code in)?

Thanks for your help!
I don't believe you can disable the alarm by entering your code if the fob is present.
Leave your fob somewhere far enough away to be inactive and try again...

Having the fob nearby is already supposed to disable the system.
The code entry method is more for emergencies, such as losing your keys/fob...

Last edited by jam436; 04-26-2013 at 04:06 PM.
Old 04-26-2013, 08:21 PM
ghoticov
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by jam436
I don't believe you can disable the alarm by entering your code if the fob is present.
Leave your fob somewhere far enough away to be inactive and try again...

Having the fob nearby is already supposed to disable the system.
The code entry method is more for emergencies, such as losing your keys/fob...
Ahhhh, I see.

But either way, why wouldn't my key fob be disabling my alarm when it is in my pocket and has a new battery? Are there certain things (like some sort of electrical gremlins) that could cause this?

Old 04-26-2013, 08:27 PM
FroggyFatBoy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

does it always happen at the same place like at work or home only ? thinking maybe theres some electrical interference messing with the security system. even though the batteries are new did you check the voltage of the batteries ? does it happen with either key fob ? possibly just a bad fob.

Old 04-26-2013, 08:33 PM
ghoticov
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by FroggyFatBoy
does it always happen at the same place like at work or home only ? thinking maybe theres some electrical interference messing with the security system. even though the batteries are new did you check the voltage of the batteries ? does it happen with either key fob ? possibly just a bad fob.
It happens everywhere....anywhere I ride the bike, get off and try to turn it back on. I have not checked the voltage of the batteries (i have no way to do that) but I just changed the batteries (in both FOBs) about 3 months ago. It also happens with either FOB. Could something be draining the batteries in the FOBs?

Old 04-26-2013, 09:24 PM
FroggyFatBoy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

the batterys should last 1-2 yrs if they're good to begin with. they constantly send out a signal thats why they don't last to long.

i figured out my batterys were weak when the bike would only start if the fob was laying on the seat for about 3 minutes or so before trying to start. in my pocket or in the w/shield bag it wouldn't start. put it on the seat and it would start.

Old 04-26-2013, 09:27 PM
ghoticov
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by FroggyFatBoy
the batterys should last 1-2 yrs if they're good to begin with. they constantly send out a signal thats why they don't last to long.

i figured out my batterys were weak when the bike would only start if the fob was laying on the seat for about 3 minutes or so before trying to start. in my pocket or in the w/shield bag it wouldn't start. put it on the seat and it would start.
I am having a similar issue it seams but the batteries are only 3 or 4 months old for sure. The alarm trips, I screw with it for a few minutes and then it decides to let me start it. It has be baffled (which is an easy thing to do).

Old 04-27-2013, 07:20 AM
hdmike1969
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

this is why i dont even mess with mine....
i click the fob the quick two times to disable the alarm and in the dresser drawer it goes for the summer...
only because batteries die etc....
i dont want to be stranded any where...

Old 04-27-2013, 07:37 AM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 12,231 Likes on 4,776 Posts

Originally Posted by hdmike1969
i click the fob the quick two times to disable the alarm and in the dresser drawer it goes for the summer...
This is just one more reason I won't buy a new bike. Have you tried asking a dealer shop. They may have a service bulletin on it.

Old 04-27-2013, 09:22 AM
ghoticov
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by hdmike1969
This is a great idea. So if I leave the fobs in my house and disable the alarms, they will stay disabled or do I have to disable it every time I get on the bike? Does it rentable the alarm if the fobs get back in range? To me, the security is useless anyway, I would rather not have the security system at all. If someone wants the bike, its not very hard to take it....security or not.

Quick Reply: ALARM issue ... not being able to start bike