Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ALARM issue ... not being able to start bike

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2013, 10:20 AM
ghoticov
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I just had a thought... lol

This has been happening pretty much since I moved to a new house and it happens at home ...but it also happens on the road, anywhere I go.

Here's the thing.... my old house didn't have an automatic garage door so I never carried a garage door opener with me. With the new home, I always carry the garage door opener in the same pocket or on me in general so could that possibly be causing ref interference with the key fob and tssm?

This is the only possible thing I can think of.

Old 04-27-2013, 10:52 AM
jam436
Supporter
Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by ghoticov
I just had a thought... lol

This has been happening pretty much since I moved to a new house and it happens at home ...but it also happens on the road, anywhere I go.

Here's the thing.... my old house didn't have an automatic garage door so I never carried a garage door opener with me. With the new home, I always carry the garage door opener in the same pocket or on me in general so could that possibly be causing ref interference with the key fob and tssm?

This is the only possible thing I can think of.
Easy way to find out.
Leave it at home.

Old 04-27-2013, 11:01 AM
ghoticov
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by jam436
Easy way to find out.
Leave it at home.
I realize that. Lol

I actually went to my garage and put the opener inside (I usually leave the opener and key fob in my helmet on a shelf next to my bike).

The bike started right up. Rolled it outside...again started right up.

So....it seems that the garage door opener is interfering with the key fob and tssm somehow. I didn't even realize that was possible. I wonder if anyone else that carries their garage door opener on them has an issue?

Old 04-27-2013, 11:40 AM
FroggyFatBoy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

hopefully thats all it is and not a coincidence that it did start. is your opener one of those rolling code styles ?

i hang my opener on the w/shield bag and its never caused a issue. mine isn't one of those rolling code styles though.

i always wonder about electrical interference since i had a problem child crv in the shop one day. the guys TPMS light kept coming on with no codes stored and that we couldn't duplicate. anyways, after looking at it a few times the guy finally came in with the light on so we could see it. i hop in the drivers seat, close the door and start to bring it in the shop when i notice a humming noise.. the guy had a power inverter in the center console to power up his kids games. i turned it off and the light went out after driving it about 100 feet for the module to receive good signals.

Old 04-27-2013, 11:46 AM
ghoticov
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by FroggyFatBoy
hopefully thats all it is and not a coincidence that it did start. is your opener one of those rolling code styles ?

i hang my opener on the w/shield bag and its never caused a issue. mine isn't one of those rolling code styles though.

i always wonder about electrical interference since i had a problem child crv in the shop one day. the guys TPMS light kept coming on with no codes stored and that we couldn't duplicate. anyways, after looking at it a few times the guy finally came in with the light on so we could see it. i hop in the drivers seat, close the door and start to bring it in the shop when i notice a humming noise.. the guy had a power inverter in the center console to power up his kids games. i turned it off and the light went out after driving it about 100 feet for the module to receive good signals.
I have no idea if its the rolling code kind. Lol Its about 5-6 years old (same with the home) and I believe the newere garage doors are the rolling code kind. So maybe the opener is sending out ref signals which is causing it to interfere with my team seeing my key fob?

I'm gonna check it again in a little while because I am going on a little 60 mile ride and I won't carry my garage door opener with me. If I have no problems, that's has to be what it was.

Old 04-27-2013, 11:48 AM
FroggyFatBoy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

hope it starts for ya out on the road.. good luck .

Old 04-27-2013, 01:00 PM
ghoticov
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by FroggyFatBoy
hope it starts for ya out on the road.. good luck .
Thanks, I'll report back.

Old 04-27-2013, 03:35 PM
Fast*lane11
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ghoticov
This is a great idea. So if I leave the fobs in my house and disable the alarms, they will stay disabled or do I have to disable it every time I get on the bike? Does it rentable the alarm if the fobs get back in range? To me, the security is useless anyway, I would rather not have the security system at all. If someone wants the bike, its not very hard to take it....security or not.
What i did was bought a manual read everything i could on alarm system,under the tank on the right side is a plug that controls the whole system so i unplugged it, problem solved no more complicated alarm system.

Old 04-27-2013, 04:59 PM
ghoticov
Elite HDF Member

Well, I'm not positive yet but I believe my battery was just bad....since it only lasted 6 months. It wasn't the garage door opener because it cranked OK when I left the house but when I got to the first dealer, when I went to leave it did the same thing...wouldnt start for about a minute, then cleared and let me start. Drove it to another dealer (where I know the service manager pretty well) and he said it would be possible that the battery is going bad (although that doesn't explain why it wouldn't let me do the alarm system override). He said the TSSM could be going bad too, but its hard to say for sure. I changed the battery anyway, went to the bike and it started right up. Went by and got gas, got on and it started right up again. So overall, I really have no idea what's going on. LOL

If it keeps starting from here on out, I can only guess the battery just wasn't very good....he said they have gotten some "Not so good batteries" in the past and said if it was him, he would go by a durecell or along those lines. He doesn't seem to think to highly of the Harley Sony batteries.

Old 04-27-2013, 05:11 PM
elfnyc
Road Warrior
Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

if u really want to turn it off - ask the dealer to put it in service mode