Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vinyl Decals...anyone use them?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2007, 06:20 PM
kato1964
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vinyl Decals...anyone use them?

Hey Folks; Since I've just bought my bike, and a ton of stuff to go on it already, I'm a little cash poor at the moment. I've purchased a pearl black Fat Boy, but would like to dress it up a little. I've been eyeing vinyl decals on eBay. There are some pretty cool looking ones on there, but on the other hand I don't want to turn my bike into a cheesemobile, in an attempt to dress it up. (Or trash the paint...) I cannot afford to get it painted right now, but would like to dress it up from the plain black a bit. Just wondering if any of you have used vinyl decals to achieve this, and how they look, and if there are any specific manufacturers anyone would recommend. I've seen some that a 'guaranteed' for six years against fading in "extreme conditions", but of course as if 5 years from now I could go back and say "Hey, these decals you sold me in 2007 are faded...I want new ones, or my money back!". I realize this is a pretty hollow guarantee, but I'm hoping to be able to afford to get a custom paint job within that six year timeframe anyway. Just wondering if there are any opinions on there as to the value/look, etc. of these decals. Thanks...

Old 02-19-2007, 06:23 PM
imboden
Stellar HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 57 Posts
Default RE: Vinyl Decals...anyone use them?

I bought some for like 100 bucks off of j&p and put em on my wifes shovelhead, then clear coated over em and they look great, and they've lasted fine. don't know if the clear helps or not, sounds like your just gonna stick em on? I know the sun will fade your paint around them and when they come off it will be a darker color where the decal is.

Old 02-19-2007, 07:10 PM
Loud1
Tourer

Check out www.purpleharley.com I have the skull on the top right of the home page on my Ironhead and I think they look great !!

Old 02-19-2007, 08:09 PM
kato1964
Road Warrior

I check out the Purple Harley link. Some cool looking stuff there. I was also thinking about clearcoating them on, but not sure if I could do that on my own, or whether I'd have to get it done professionally, for it to look good. I put some vinyl decals onto my Gold Wing about 8 years ago, and they've held up pretty well, but was well aware of the paint fade AROUND the decals, so knew if I ever removed them (or they flaked off...) it would look kinda lame. On the other hand, if I get as many years out of the decals I'm looking at putting onto the FB, then as I said, hopefully by then I'll be able to afford the custom paint job I'm thinking of. Thanks for the pointers.

Old 02-19-2007, 08:17 PM
metal_mike
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

havent used these myself....but saw a guy on another "custom" forum post pics of these and he was all the rage! until he told 'em they were vinyl!!
then all these chopper guys were left sitting there..feet in mouths having just given the guy props on how good they[decals] looked....not another reply to the thread! lol
these things shut up an entire forum!! look pretty damn cool i.m.o

http://www.twistedchrome.com/

Old 02-19-2007, 10:14 PM
lionsqrne
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What your all black fat boy tank needs is a set of 07 street glide chrome emblems......

Old 02-20-2007, 01:25 AM
kato1964
Road Warrior

Agreed...the '07 Street Glide chrome tank emblems would look awesome on my bike, but again, this would entail painting it, which I can't afford at the moment, either that, or I'd have to stick them on right over the HD decals currently on the tank. (Which I think everyone would agree would look like shiite...) Thanks for all the tips. Muchly appreciated.

Old 02-20-2007, 01:36 AM
Rhubarb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Check out BH's bike. He uses decals. In fact, he recently changed to new ones.

Old 02-20-2007, 11:01 AM
JohnK/Pa
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why don't you lookaround for a local pinstriper and have them do something little on it. You might be surprised how little it could cost. My .02

Old 02-20-2007, 11:24 AM
lionsqrne
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: kato1964

Agreed...the '07 Street Glide chrome tank emblems would look awesome on my bike, but again, this would entail painting it, which I can't afford at the moment, either that, or I'd have to stick them on right over the HD decals currently on the tank. (Which I think everyone would agree would look like shiite...) Thanks for all the tips. Muchly appreciated.
I had my softail standard tank just repainted vivid black. I found a guy local that does work for the local dealership. He only charged me 300 to do the tank... but he had to block it cuz he had to go to bare metal to get rid of the red emblems. I am having the street glide chrome emblems put on it... but they are 67.00 dollars a piece. So yes, it will cost a bit but still cheaper than buying a new tank. I am a black and chrome guy myself.

Quick Reply: Vinyl Decals...anyone use them?