Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Second disc to Fatboy wheel

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2013, 04:52 PM
tmilo1000
Tourer
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Second disc to Fatboy wheel

Looking at the right side of the Fatboy wheel it looks like there is room to add an additional disc. The five torx screws hold on an aluminum cover. If I take off that cover, could I put on an additional disc? That would keep me from having to get a different wheel.

Still working on the problem with the fork sliders and mounting the additional caliper.

Old 04-23-2013, 07:43 PM
NoRegerts
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 8,953 Likes on 4,700 Posts

If you're going for better stopping, why not just get a PM caliper? That will improve braking dramatically, and you won't need another wheel, or figure out how to attach a second caliper and clutter up that side of the wheel.

Old 04-23-2013, 07:47 PM
Sgt_Jim
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RIPbiker13
If you're going for better stopping, why not just get a PM caliper?
I agree.. get some kind of performance caliper.. Performance Machine, Jaybrake, whatever.. get a 6-piston caliper before you try to mount a second brake.

You'd have to drill out the hub for the bolts and machine off the chrome/powdercoating on that side of the rim, get different wheel bearings, get a different fork lower, which won't come from a touring model unless you decide to use both forks (i.e. the full set from a Road King), new spacers, the rotor, the brake.. oh.. and a new master cylinder because the bore for the banjo bolt is bigger on dual-disc brake setups. For all that BS, you could save time and money by just investing in a set of performance brakes and pads, and a new rotor if you so desire.

Last edited by Sgt_Jim; 04-23-2013 at 07:50 PM.
Old 04-23-2013, 10:13 PM
Snowyone
Road Captain
Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Default dual discs

There was a write up awhile back where a feller did just that and he gave all parts needed. I was wanting to do the same thing because the braking leaves something to be desired for me. I went a different route that was quicker though with a PM 13" disc and 6 piston caliper. Was able to use the same master cyl. When I first tried it thought it was a waste of money but it took a couple of days to wear in and then turned into an awesome brake that has great feal and control. Still like the idea of duals but lots more hardware and they would cover up that new fancy wheel I sprung for.

Old 04-23-2013, 10:44 PM
DDuess
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is a thread on here about using the Brembo set up from a touring bike to put dual disk on a softail.

Old 04-23-2013, 10:55 PM
NoRegerts
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 8,953 Likes on 4,700 Posts

The thread on my set up. Mine is a Springer, but you get the idea. It's a very simple mod, and amazing performance.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softa...nger-pics.html