Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Uninstalling Extended Reach Forward Controls, back to stock

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2013, 12:50 PM
jrod5k
1st Gear
Location: Raised in ND, Stationed in WA currently in Afghanistan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Uninstalling Extended Reach Forward Controls, back to stock

Hello,
I've got an 09 FXCWC I bought used with the extended reach forward controls on it. I'm 6' and was able to reach everything just fine, until I opted for a more comfortable danny gray seat than the factory 'trick' seat. Now I feel like I'm at my limit and possibly even pushing my comfort zone how far forward the controls are. My question is if I'm able to just remove the extended reach kit or do I need to find OEM forward control mounts? I know I'll need to buy a new shifter rod and brake line as I've deducted from the install kit I found online. Even after studying the instructions I'm not sure if I can simply remove the extended braket. I'm 99% sure he's got the Harley aftermarket kit on there, but I'm unable to take photos as I'm currently in Afghanistan, daydreaming for when I get home. I'm hoping that anyone that's personally added or removed the kit will be able to point me in the right direction.

Old 04-23-2013, 02:11 PM
Midgard
Outstanding HDF Member

I just ordered the Arlen Ness extension kit - so I should know in about a week cause I will have put it on my bike by then. In the meantime I am sure someone else can chime in.

Old 04-23-2013, 02:16 PM
2003Custom1200
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If its the NESS extended brackets, and not actually forward controls, simply unbolt the brackets and reinstall, i just put them on my Duece this weekend, took about an hour. Im thinking that you could use the brake line, but u will need a new stock length shifter rod...

Old 04-23-2013, 02:18 PM
Koshman32
Cruiser

If it's the Harley extension kit, then you'd have to buy new OEM forward control kit for your bike. If it's a extension kit like Arlen Ness kit Midgard mentioned (which I am also waiting for spring to come so I can put on my Train), then you can just un-bolt and remove the brackets, buy a new brake line and shifter linkage. Have you checked with the P/O to see if he has the old brake line and linkage still?

Old 04-23-2013, 02:44 PM
jrod5k
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Koshman32
If it's the Harley extension kit, then you'd have to buy new OEM forward control kit for your bike. If it's a extension kit like Arlen Ness kit Midgard mentioned (which I am also waiting for spring to come so I can put on my Train), then you can just un-bolt and remove the brackets, buy a new brake line and shifter linkage. Have you checked with the P/O to see if he has the old brake line and linkage still?
I'm pretty sure I'll need the OEM forward control kit. I've looked at the ness kits and it's nothing like what I've got on there. The P/O, like most P/Os is long gone. I bought the bike over two years ago and only recently upgraded my seat. He probably figures I'm calling to complain about something being his fault. Thanks for the help guys.

Old 04-23-2013, 03:12 PM
Koshman32
Cruiser

Originally Posted by jrod5k
I'm pretty sure I'll need the OEM forward control kit. I've looked at the ness kits and it's nothing like what I've got on there. The P/O, like most P/Os is long gone. I bought the bike over two years ago and only recently upgraded my seat. He probably figures I'm calling to complain about something being his fault. Thanks for the help guys.
Post an add in your area, when you return back home, and see if anyone is wanting to trade their factory hardware for your extended hardware. With some extra cash going towards you. Those Harley kits weren't cheap last I looked into them. It's worth a shot.

Old 04-23-2013, 03:46 PM
08Nighttrain
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Koshman32
Post an add in your area, when you return back home, and see if anyone is wanting to trade their factory hardware for your extended hardware. With some extra cash going towards you. Those Harley kits weren't cheap last I looked into them. It's worth a shot.
+1 on that. The kits are somewhat expensive and alot of people look to buy them so you could probably easily find someone willing to trade.

Old 05-09-2013, 12:54 PM
jrod5k
1st Gear

Thanks guys. I'll give that a try when I get home this fall.