Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help!! Is this a good price for 2002 HD?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2013 | 06:30 PM
KidzRN08
|
Stage III
Default Help!! Is this a good price for 2002 HD?

So I am buying my husband a Harley for fathers day and found one that I think he'd love. I know he likes soft tails and I've heard him mention "fat boy" so I found a private seller and he's got a

2002 HD Fat boy for $9995
I know nothing about the prices so Im wondering should I pay what he's asking or try to talk him down???? HELP!

these are the specs he posted:

Super clean with high end custom paint that can't be appreciated from the pictures. LOWERED suspension with upgrades including SUPERTRAPP 2:1 Pipes, KURYAYKYN ERGO PLUS Engine Guards, KURYAYKYN ISO THROTTLE BOSS Grips, KURYAYKYN Curved License Plate Frame, KURYAYKYN Flush Mount Gas Cap and Electronic Fuel/Battery Gauge, LED Tail Light and Turn Signals, CORBIN CLASSIC Seat and Pillion, HARLEY Quick Detachable Back Rest and Luggage Rack, HARLEY Quick Detachable Windshield, HARLEY Full Chrome Front End, and probably some stuff I can't remember. Over $3000 tied up in these items, not including paint. 18K Miles

Old 04-22-2013 | 06:53 PM
xltjim
Cruiser

Hello, if I may offer some advice (I will anyway, please take it for what its worth). What you see and what he may want may be entirely different. I had been hinting at getting a new bike a few years ago and my wife just said, "spend this but get what you want". Just having her tell me that mean't all the world to me. I ended up spending way more (I got permission) but got what I wanted and am very happy. Your intentions are outstanding but let him make the choice. Again this is my opinion. That price sounds good to me though. Best of luck.
Jim

Old 04-22-2013 | 06:56 PM
KidzRN08
|
Stage III

I have that thought in my head also, I just was thinking it'd be awesome to come home and have it sitting in the garage for him. My inital idea was to just go to the dealer and let him do his thing might stick with that. I've got his friends feeling him out for this one just based on it seeming like a better deal than what I can get @ the dealership but like I said, I am CLUELESS. Thanks for your thoughts!

Old 04-22-2013 | 07:07 PM
xltjim
Cruiser

Best of luck whatever you decide. Others may chime in MUCH more knowledgeable than I. Only thing to consider is that if you bought from a dealer you may get some kind of warranty. Costs more, but have "some" piece of mind at least in case any issues arose. I going back to my cave now. Take care and I think he has a winner in any event (i.e. you).

Old 04-22-2013 | 07:19 PM
elizer
Road Captain

Going to have to agree with Jim.
If all he's told you is he likes fatboy's then you really have no idea what year and options hes really interested in. If he has his heart set on a 2013 and you get him a 2002 who knows he'll probably just love it or just secretly say "damn it" lol.

Anyways i don't like that price. The mileage means he's been riding a little over 1000 miles a year which isn't too bad... is it 1 owner? If not then maybe there could be breaks in riding which isn't a god thing.

If money is an issue then I understand buying used... if from what he's told u this bike fits the bill then sure. If not buy him a new bike or something thats a lot newer.

A lot may not agree with me but if you can financially afford it i would just get him a new one.

Old 04-22-2013 | 07:54 PM
Bone Doc
Seasoned HDF Member

I'd say your husband has himself a princess.

I know you would love for us to say great deal... go out and get it but we want to help you make a sound decision for the hard earned dollars you would be spending.

Used vehicles can be difficult to purchase for someone, especially Harleys, since the bikes can be individualized countless ways. The seller says he has $3000 tied up in the upgrades but if those upgrades don't appeal to your husband, it is not money well spent. Xltjim alluded to this in his first post. As far as what you posted, that Fatboy does have low miles and the price is not that bad. It is, in fact, an 11 year old bike. Is he the original owner? Does he have records of performing factory maintenance at the recommended intervals? If you are strongly considering the Fatty, have it checked by an experienced technician. You don't want to buy it just to find out expensive repairs are required.

Do any of your husbands friends ride Harleys or any motorcycle for that matter? Get their advice. They know your husband better than we do. Take a picture of the bike and give it to one of your husband's friends. The friend can show the picture to your husband as if the friend is buying it and you can get a true sense whether your husband likes the bike.

Good luck.

Old 04-22-2013 | 07:56 PM
kozy22
Outstanding HDF Member

Way too much for a bike that old. All those extras don't add up to anything to the value unless its what you want.

Let him know your getting him a bike, but let him find the one he wants

Old 04-23-2013 | 12:39 AM
bklynbob
Grand HDF Member

Check kbb.com. Nada to get an idea what current prices are . Offer 8500 Cash and see where the negotiation goes . Don't go ovr 9k good luck.

Old 04-23-2013 | 02:14 AM
cgmartine
Road Master
Smile

What all others said. A bike is almost never worth what an owner thinks it is. For that year bike, $8,500, but be prepared to walk away. How many others have you seen? Don't go for the first pretty one you see.

Old 04-23-2013 | 04:37 AM
tbonetony06
Outstanding HDF Member

Here is my take on this. To a guy, a bike and a woman are much alike. You just can't pick one for a guy. I mean you could pick a woman and put her in a guy's bed and would he ride her? Yea, probably. Would he want to keep her after he rode her? Probably not. If he is going to be riding her on a regular basis he would probably want to pick his own out. A bike is the same. You just can't pick a bike out for a guy. He has to see one, fall in love with it and want to own it. No one on this God's green earth could pick a bike out for me no more than they could pick a woman out for me. Just think of this too. What if you picked this bike out for him and it was nothing but trouble for him, it is after all used. It is a WONDERFUL thing you want to do for your hubby, ****, my EX cost me 2 bikes let alone ever worried about getting me one! Here is a thought. Go to one of those stores that can blow up a picture of a bike to life like size, put it out in the garage and pin 10 grand in cash to it and tell him Happy Birthday and go get yourself a bike. If he doesn't already worship the ground you walk on, he will!! It is a buyers market out there and has been for 4 or 5 years now. There are 1000's of bikes out there for sale. Let him go look and fall in love with the bike of his choice. It is super cool what you want to do for him, it really is. That is a lot of cash to throw out there to end up with a turd. Sounds like a lot of Kury stuff on it too, that worries me as well. Also, 10 grand for a 2002 with 18k on it is a bit steep in my opinion. I honestly think you guy's could do better if you stopped, shopped and looked around, check Craigslist, you'll see what I am talking about.. In fact, I would bet on it and I am not a gambler. I looked for over a year before I found the bike I bought and now have and it has everything, well mostly, already on it that I would have done to it. It saved me a TON of cash since it was already done and it only had 4k miles on it, the motor only had 2k on it and the tranny only 1k on it when I bought it. I have had some say I paid to much for it but they don't know what it would have cost me had I had to do it all out of my own pocket after I bought it. Your a good wife and he landed a real catch, a" keeper" for sure! I only have 1 last question, do you have any single sister's?

Last edited by tbonetony06; 04-23-2013 at 04:47 AM.

Quick Reply: Help!! Is this a good price for 2002 HD?