Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New brakes - fade ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2013, 06:25 PM
cmosentine
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New brakes - fade ?

Hello again: With the input of many I have my new Lyndall Z-Series pads in the front caliper of my 08 fatboy. I took it out this evening to do a few safety tests and then a few hard stops to see how they perform. Overall the new pads work very well when cold but I am getting brake fade after three hard stops. I did let the brakes cool slightly between stops. They also smelled hot.

Once I get back home I took a look at the the rotor and the center of the rotor contact surface was a different color. It appeared to me that only the center 1/3 of the pads were actually doing the work, almost like they are somewhat rounded. Being new at this I am not sure if this is normal new pads.

So what do you think?

Old 04-22-2013, 07:22 PM
tracey87
Tourer
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

The two surfaces take a little while to mesh together. Some say around 100 miles. However, most of the pad should contact the rotor with the brakes off. Should be able to spin tire and pad should stay in contact with the rotor fairly evenly.

Old 04-22-2013, 07:56 PM
cmosentine
Tourer

Originally Posted by tracey87
The two surfaces take a little while to mesh together. Some say around 100 miles. However, most of the pad should contact the rotor with the brakes off. Should be able to spin tire and pad should stay in contact with the rotor fairly evenly.
That makes sense. Considering how much energy the pads absorb, and the fact that they last as long as they do, I can see it make take a little time for the new pads to wear in.

Old 04-22-2013, 08:10 PM
checkers
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 276 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by cmosentine
Hello again: With the input of many I have my new Lyndall Z-Series pads in the front caliper of my 08 fatboy. I took it out this evening to do a few safety tests and then a few hard stops to see how they perform. Overall the new pads work very well when cold but I am getting brake fade after three hard stops. I did let the brakes cool slightly between stops. They also smelled hot.

Once I get back home I took a look at the the rotor and the center of the rotor contact surface was a different color. It appeared to me that only the center 1/3 of the pads were actually doing the work, almost like they are somewhat rounded. Being new at this I am not sure if this is normal new pads.

So what do you think?
There is a prescribed break in procedure for new brake pads to incl a gentle break-in and no panic stops or overheating the pads for first 500 miles or so. This may be old school, but it's the way I learned how to do it.

Old 04-22-2013, 09:07 PM
KumaRide
Elite HDF Member
Received 187 Likes on 148 Posts

Is the center of the rotor kinda blueish? Does your wheel spin one revolution or more. I hope you cleaned caliper pistons, pins and lube.

Old 04-23-2013, 08:26 AM
cmosentine
Tourer

Originally Posted by KumaRide
Is the center of the rotor kinda blueish? Does your wheel spin one revolution or more. I hope you cleaned caliper pistons, pins and lube.
Yes, kind of blueish. I completely cleaned the calipers that are exposed with denatured alcohol. I did not remove the pistons. As for the slider (only one on a 2008 Fatboy), it was completely dry when it came out so I did not lube it on reassembly. I thought that odd and had purchased some silicon-based brake lube, but did not apply any. That is something I can do tonight.

One thing I did not do was to spin the wheel to insure that there was no undo brake rubbing. I will do that tonight. The bike pushed just fine.

Old 04-23-2013, 01:11 PM
Snowyone
Road Captain
Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Brake in

For sure need to break in gently and give them a little time before final judgement. I replaced my front brake with a PM 13" rotor and 6 piston caliper because I felt the braking somewhat lacking after comming from a line of dressers with dual discs that were all upgraded with good stuff. I took it for a ride after assembly and thought, 'boy this was an expensive mistake'. I checked it over and all looked good so kept out on the back roads and took it easy for a few days. After a few hundred miles I was liking it and now after several thousand miles it has become an awesome brake with good feel and control.