Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Monotube question...

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2013 | 01:38 PM
fatboy1729
|
Road Captain
Question Monotube question...

I was worried about the whole task of doing this but it was easy. Now, my question is how to loosen up the top bolt holding in the springs. I know the bolt has some pressure but everything is spinning. Can anyone out their lend a hint or two. Thanks for any advice.

Old 04-20-2013 | 01:47 PM
jam436
Supporter

is the fork tube off the bike? it's easier to get the top nut off if it's still clamped in the trees. and there really shouldn't be all that much pressure, it will only pop about an inch or two...

Old 04-20-2013 | 02:03 PM
fatboy1729
|
Road Captain

Originally Posted by jam436
is the fork tube off the bike? it's easier to get the top nut off if it's still clamped in the trees. and there really shouldn't be all that much pressure, it will only pop about an inch or two...
Hey Jam, thanks for responding. Yes the forks are off the bike. Should I bolt them back into the trees? Thanks again...

Old 04-20-2013 | 03:24 PM
Ramboamt
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by fatboy1729
Hey Jam, thanks for responding. Yes the forks are off the bike. Should I bolt them back into the trees? Thanks again...
You can do that or if you have a bench vice place some wood between the jaws and clamp the upper tube in the vice, between the wood, just DON'T over tighten it, just enough to keep it from turning.

When you loosen the top nut press down on it as you loosen it as it will only pop up approx. 2". It is under spring pressure but as long as you put pressure on it it wont bite you.

Old 04-20-2013 | 03:54 PM
fatboy1729
|
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Ramboamt
You can do that or if you have a bench vice place some wood between the jaws and clamp the upper tube in the vice, between the wood, just DON'T over tighten it, just enough to keep it from turning.

When you loosen the top nut press down on it as you loosen it as it will only pop up approx. 2". It is under spring pressure but as long as you put pressure on it it wont bite you.
Hey bro, thanks for responding. It worked. One of the screws on the bottom is stripped. And I did not do it. It looked like it was done when the stealership put on my chrome lowers for me a couple years back. The other one came off no problem. I don't know what to do. Sorry to take your time away. Thanks for any help bro...

Old 04-20-2013 | 05:53 PM
fatboy1729
|
Road Captain

Any one out their know how to loosen allen screw on the bottom of the forks to take out the damper and spring. Cannot remove them without taking out this allen screw that is all rounded over from the stealership a couple years ago when my front end got all chromed out. The other screw came out no problem on the other fork. Thanks forum...

Old 04-21-2013 | 05:29 AM
fatboy1729
|
Road Captain

I want to thank you guys for the replies. I do appreciate it. Sorry for the multiple posts but I still cannot take this stripped allen head bolt out. Running out of ideas. I don't want to damage anything. I am worried now that this will be a nightmare. I called my local dealership if they would help and give any advice over the phone. They said to bring my fork in so they can do it. I also told them that it was done here when they installed my front end. And of course they denied it. I know I will get raped over there. I am also hoping if and when the allen bolt does come out (with any luck of course) that the dealer will sell me a single allen bolt to replace the stripped one. I will have to call on Monday to ask. Thanks again everyone...

Old 04-21-2013 | 06:23 AM
Man on Fire
Advanced

Could always weld an allen wrench or an allen socket in there and use a crescent or wrench to turn it

Old 04-21-2013 | 06:24 AM
Nickdawg18
Cruiser

Drill it out with a left handed bit

Old 04-21-2013 | 06:27 AM
Man on Fire
Advanced

Also, you know you're allowed to buy hardware from a hardware store right? You don't have to buy nuts and bolts from the dealer.

Quick Reply: Monotube question...