Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another Breakout Owner!

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2013 | 12:51 PM
Killer Squirrel
Tourer

Originally Posted by xwino
one from the rear. The horizontal plate is split in two parts and takes only a small amount of work to make it work vertically which tucks it in closer to the frame.
Sounds like we do on the Nightster plate; glad I will be able to do the same thing, I like the vert plate look better as well.

When you powder coated the fender side cover things did you pc the lights too? Or did you replace them with lights from another bike (slim, blackline, etc). Just wondering which route is better since messing with coating chrome can be a pain sometimes.

Old 04-18-2013 | 01:45 PM
xwino
Cruiser
Default black turn lights

I powder-coated the stock lights that came with the Breakout.
I have done this many times on many Harleys and it always holds up and is really inexpensive! The fender rails, horn cover, and turn signals and a dozen assorted nuts and bolts cost me $75 and I think changed the look to the better.

The fender is nor complicated to remove. The fender struts are one piece aluminum and all wiring in run in a channel in the strut not taped to bottom of fender like other models! There are no electronics bolted to the fender unlike other models so it is really just four bolts and three quick electronic disconnect to remove fender and rails. The rails are bolted with four bolts from the inside to the rails as well as 4 from the outside.

The only tricky part is disconnecting the electrical quick plugs to feed the wire through the rails. I have a friend at a bike shop who has a special pick and it is a 1 minute job to disconnect or reconnect so don't cut and splice the wires seek someone out to do it for you.

BTW most powdercoaters can match paints so if you get a red or blue breakout change those rails and send pictures!

Old 04-18-2013 | 05:04 PM
Killer Squirrel
Tourer

Awesome thanks for the info! While the blue is beautiful, I'm in love with the black so that's what I'll be waiting for, even if I have to wait a bit for a dealer to get me one. I've been looking for a good local powder coater for some of my other projects, you wouldn't happen to be in the Houston, TX area eh? LOL

Old 04-20-2013 | 02:59 AM
Crazy Biker
Elite HDF Member

That is one sweet bike! My local dealer had one the same color as yours when I was there on saturday. Wow I'm impressed.

Old 04-20-2013 | 10:14 AM
jrose43
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by crawlgsx
Thanks! I am quite happy with my decision.

Just cant wait to get some pipes on her, the stock Breakout is RIDICULOUSLY quiet. The guy I went to pick up my bike with has an 11' Honda Interstate with a stock exhaust and it is louder than the Breakout

knock the centers out of the stock pipes for now. thats what in doing to my breakout next week after hd does the 1k service till there is more of a selection of pipes for it

Old 04-20-2013 | 10:21 AM
jrose43
2nd Gear

i bought my breakout during daytona bikeweek but couldnt take it home till the after it was over because it was the first in florida and was a display. that was about 5 weeks ago and its been great since.

Old 04-20-2013 | 11:24 AM
Marquezj16
Tourer

Originally Posted by xwino
I love changing the look of a bike to make it my own.
Vance and Hines 2:1 Propipe, Screamin Eagle Heavy Breather,powder coated some of the shiny parts black, Harley quarter fairing modified to fit.
Have fun changing yours. I think I enjoy the creative process almost as much as I do icing...almost!
How do you like the quarter fairing? How much mod did you have to do to make it fit? Any movement when riding? Does it help?

Old 04-20-2013 | 11:01 PM
xwino
Cruiser
Default How do you like the quarter fairing? How much mod did you have to do to make it fit?

I like the quarter fairing. If you get the mounting plates from BungKing (google it) it is not really any modification with the exception of needing to use a spacer to move the headlight up. You use the HD quick release fasteners and can use the "locking" ones! I also used the Cee Bailey dark windshield as I like the look and you do not look through but over these fairings. It takes the "kite" effect off your upper torso. When the Factory comes up with a windshield I will likely get one for just for the annual summer ride (around 2500 miles in four days) and annual winter ride up north (don't ask.) I think it is fitting with the gasser-dragstrip influence look of this bike.The only grief I have received (on line)is from a few hardcore dyna canyon riders who I guess think they have the copyright to the "outlaw/thug/club" style and feel everyone else is a SOA poser! Can anyone deny the TV show had an influence on this style? Of course not...but no more than Marlon Brando's "Rebel without a cause" influenced the black leather jackets we all wear today. Do we wear the black leather for function or style? Both! Did I choose this quarter fairing for function or style? Again, both! Live and Let Live I say!

Old 04-20-2013 | 11:06 PM
xwino
Cruiser
Default View from the other side

The 'solo bag' holds some bungee cords and a handlebar bag in case I need to carry or shed jackets or other gear!

Attached Thumbnails Another Breakout Owner!-image.jpg  
Old 04-21-2013 | 11:00 PM
HRCH
Cruiser

Is it just me or does the Breakout's horn seem like its not loud enough? Maybe it's just me. My 2012 Dyna had a stock cowbell type horn and it was loud. My wife's Sportster horn was also too quite. I replaced her horn with a side mounted cowbell style horn. It's loud now. I wonder if I could do the same with Breakout? I noticed the CVO Breakout had a side mounted horn set up. Now, on the non cvo Breakout the ignition switch is located on the left side. Will a side mount horn still fit there?

Quick Reply: Another Breakout Owner!