Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rough Starts

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2013, 11:41 PM
casadelray
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rough Starts

I have a 2007 Fatboy that is giving me problems on subsequent starts. Since the bike was new, I've had to contend with an occasional stall problem. It's rare, and usually happens after the bike is hot and I'm in stop/go traffic. It would stall when coming off the throttle in traffic.

Bike was looked at several times by the local dealer, but I think some of the problem was lost in translation. They did replace some arbitrary part years ago. I really don't recall what and like I said, it's intermittent, so at the time whatever it was appeared to fix it.

Now I'm having rough starts when the bike is hot. I think the two issues could be related. I can ride 20-30 minutes, shut down, and if it doesn't cool down long enough, on the next start it turns over 4 or 5 times before lighting off. When it does finally catch, it's a banging start and strong fuel smell, like it's starting with a very rich mixture.

My guess would be the choke, not sure if that is what HD calls it on a fuel injected bike. Certainly nothing I can control. Is there some type of temp sensor for fuel system that might be going bad? Any thoughts? Thanks-

Old 04-16-2013, 07:04 AM
tbonetony06
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Is it a carb or EFI? A carb I am assuming since you spoke of a choke. Is there a heavy smell of gas every time it does it? Have you by any chance pulled a plug to see how it's burning? White, running hot and too lean. Black, getting to much fuel and burning too rich.The 1st thing that comes to mind, is the float sticking if it's a carb? If it's EFI I just had this exact problem on my car but it's fuel injected. It took me a year, a ton of gas wasted over time and TONS in replacement parts until I finally found it. I had a tiny crack in the fuel delivery system. The car started GREAT when it was cold but as soon as it got hot that crack opened a hair and it altered the FTA ratio. I think the part that had the crack in it was comparable to the O2 sensor on bikes only it actually dealt with the fuel exclusively going through it. When it got hot or warmed up that part opened up that tiny little bit and it started sucking air into the fuel system. I wish I could help or offer more than that. There is nothing worse then a fuel or electrical problems and pinning it down.

Last edited by tbonetony06; 04-16-2013 at 07:07 AM.
Old 04-16-2013, 09:08 AM
casadelray
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's an EFI bike. With that said, any idea what to check?

Old 04-16-2013, 11:24 AM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,798 Likes on 9,865 Posts

Idle air controller, throttle position sensor, MAF. Is the little cap on the tube to nowhere that is behind the throttle body intact?