Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wannabe Yard Ornament

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2013, 02:05 PM
mooseatk
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wannabe Yard Ornament

I have a 2005 HD Fatboy with clutch/tranny problem. I cannot get the clutch to engage I had added a easy pull clutch a couple years ago. I changed the handlebars, got a new cable. (while I was in there I put the ez clutch in) I had to adjust the free play all the way out but I rode it. I started and rode it a couple times during the winter when temp went up. When I started it the next time I had no clutch I couldn't get it to engage. Since that time I have reinstalled HD original cable. Adjusted the clutch pack and cable numerous times Adjusted free play, clutch feels good. But when I start it and shift into 1st gear nothing

Old 04-14-2013, 02:50 AM
Snowyone
Road Captain
Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Oil

What's the condition of the primary oil? Is it up to the clutch plate? Do you slack your cable adjust all the way before you start the clutch adj? After you get your 1/2 to 3/4 turn past slack on the clutch adj. are you keeping a good hold on the allen wrench when you tighten the 11/16 lock nut? When you tighten up the cable adj. are you leaving a 1/8" gap between clutch handle and it's stop? If these are pretty much close your ez clutch release must have dropped a ball or the splines on the clutch hub are notched or rusty or sticky. Just my best guess.

Old 04-14-2013, 06:09 AM
mooseatk
1st Gear

I'll carefully go through it again. Thank You

Old 04-14-2013, 08:45 AM
tryus
Road Captain
Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts

Do you "feel" the travel of the spring in the clutch pack? The resistance you normally feel when pulling on the lever is the actual spring inside the clutch pack. So as you feel this resistance, picture in your mind the spring inside the clutch pack traveling as you release the lever. You should be able to feel the "end" to that resistance as you let off of the lever. There should be a point where you can tell that the clutch cable is no longer engaged with the spring. The "Slack". This slack should be felt ONLY just before the lever is almost all the way released. But at the same time, it HAS to be felt. If the slack is felt before the lever is almost all the way out, it's likely the ez clutch pivot inside the clutch cover on the right hand side hanging up, like snowyone said. Bottom line is, if you can feel the spring travel of the clutch, and you can feel it release towards the end of the lever travel, then your clutch disks are completely gone. Not likely to happen all of a sudden. You can find the problem, keep us updated.

Old 04-16-2013, 05:07 AM
mooseatk
1st Gear

This is some really good advice. I am in the process. I'll let you all know. Thank You

Old 04-16-2013, 07:08 AM
hspring03
Elite HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 49 Posts

I answered you on the thread..

Originally Posted by hspring03
Take the trans cover off and make sure any of the ball bearings didn't slip out of their track.

It's very easy to have happen