Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Deluxe windshield

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2005, 05:27 PM
JoeVFR
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Deluxe windshield

Hey all,
I am interested in getting a windshield for an 05 deluxe and wondered if anybody had a recommendation for the screen height. I know the nostalgic comes in the regular size and one 3 inches shorter. I am 5`7", is the regular too tall for me? Does the shorter offer enough? If anyone has pics, that would be great. Thanks,
Kevin

Old 08-17-2005, 05:32 PM
Boatman
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Deluxe windshield

If you want to look thru the windshield get the standard height. If you want to look over it, get the 3" lower shield. I lowered my standard windshield on a Fatboy 2 1/4", so I now look over it and it is the best thing I have done to make riding more enjoyable. The deluxe is a nice looking ride.

Old 08-17-2005, 05:43 PM
chunks
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I got the detachable for my Fat Boy and then cut it down exactly 4 inches.
I'm 5' 10"
Now its perfect. :-)

Old 08-17-2005, 05:53 PM
JoeVFR
Tourer

Thanks for the quick responses, looks like I might be going with the shorter version. Any other short riders out there with an opinion?

Old 08-18-2005, 12:07 PM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 42 Likes on 35 Posts

My opinion is, and it's just that, get the big one and custom cut it exactly where you want it to be. That way, you're not just settling for what's out there.

There is a section in the DIY on how to make a cut to get the height that fits you.

Regards,

Bill

Old 08-24-2005, 12:25 PM
TxMoores
Road Warrior

Any of you guys have experience with National Cycle windshields? I received mine yesterday and knew as soon as I took it out of the box something didn't look right... It is 3" shorter and 1-1/2" wider than the brochure and schematic... It is going to be sent back, but is there that much tolerance in the heights and widths or did I just get the wrong windshield in the right box?

Old 08-24-2005, 01:57 PM
jim63b
Novice

I just installed the Harley nostalgic, low-profile, detachable(p/n 57141-05) on my Softail Deluxe last weekend. I'm about 5'-6". It's not quite what I expected. I went with the low-profile because I definately wanted to look over and not through. My line of sight is right at the top edge of the windshield. It's very distracting. In addition, my head gets buffed around pretty good. After 5 minutes of 60mph riding, my head feels like it's been in a paint shaker. For those who have cut their windshield down or are happy with the height, I pose a question, how did you determine how much to trim? Is the top edge about even with your chin or even lower. I read through the "How to" for trimming but I need to determine how much to trim. Sorry for the long post.

Old 08-24-2005, 02:01 PM
TxMoores
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: jim63b
In addition, my head gets buffed around pretty good. After 5 minutes of 60mph riding, my head feels like it's been in a paint shaker.
Jim,
That was a good description... head in a paint shaker!!! I look a good 6 inches above my windshield and I swear after the 3,700+ Sturgis run my eyes were still bouncing around for a couple of days!!! Several guys in my riding group look through their windshields just for this very reason!

Old 08-25-2005, 03:37 AM
Dave Deluxe
Advanced

I don't want to sound like a know-it-all, because I know nothing about aerodynamics as it relates to this particular subject. I am 6'4" and I have the taller windshield. My line of sight is also right at the top of the windshield and it's pretty distracting. I plan to cut mine down about 1-1/2" and see that happens. I would think that it would be best trim it in an elliptical shape, starting the cut about 5/8ths of the way up from the bottom, leaving the smallest radius at the top. I am doing it this weekend, so I will let everyone know how it goes.

Old 08-25-2005, 03:45 AM
toadmanor
Road Captain

I used a National Cycle on an old Suzuki of mine. I think it was of much better quality than the one on my RKC '05!

Quick Reply: Deluxe windshield