Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Metal slivers and small metal flakes in oil ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2013, 11:36 PM
tennacnightman
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Metal slivers and small metal flakes in oil ?

I have a 2004 Deuce with approx 6000 miles and performed my first oil change on this bike since I purchased it and found some fine metal slivers and metal flakes attached to the drain plug magnet. The oil had been changed by a shop about 1500 miles ago, before I purchased it, so I am not sure, of course, if the drain plug had been cleaned off during the last oil change. Is this normal to have some slivers evident during oil changes with this amount of miles I have on it ? Should I drop the oil after accumulating a random number of miles, i.e. 500 miles, to check for more metal to possibly determine if there might be a problem ? The metal flakes/dust could be described as glitter on a paper towel, but the long slender slivers, approx 1/16" or so, were very prominent. The approx number of slivers were about 15 or so. Should I be crazy concerned about this or not. Since being a newby to HD bikes I don't know what is acceptable/normal for a HD engine with the miles it has on it. Thanks, ride safe. Later.

Old 04-13-2013, 07:56 AM
jreichart
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I see metal on the magnet every time I change oils, bike or truck. Parts wear out, regardless of the type or quality of oil you use. That is why the magnet is there in the first place. To stop the bits that are expected to wear off from recirculating back through the system to cause more wear. Never bothered me, just clean the plug off and ride the **** out of it! But I'm no engineer or mechanic, so maybe I'm just completely fugged up, your results may vary.

Old 04-13-2013, 08:42 AM
tennacnightman
6th Gear

Thanks jreichart I appreciate the response. Hopefully the amount of noticeable metal will subside. It's kinda odd that HD placed the drain plug in the location that they did. I would have thought the plug would be located on the bottom of the motor instead of directly under the tank. Seems like the metal would settle to the lowest point of the system in order to catch the metal, but I'm not a engineer so...... Thanks again.

Old 04-13-2013, 08:51 AM
Big Trev
Road Captain

Originally Posted by tennacnightman
It's kinda odd that HD placed the drain plug in the location that they did. I would have thought the plug would be located on the bottom of the motor instead of directly under the tank. Seems like the metal would settle to the lowest point of the system in order to catch the metal, but I'm not a engineer so...... Thanks again.
Oh dear

Old 04-13-2013, 08:57 AM
fcsallan
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Who knows what or where it comes from, I would say to plan on dropping the oil in 2000 miles and see if it is still really noticeable. Slivers would bother me.

I would also be curious which drain plug you found this in. The bag drain would be odd in my opinion to see slivers, unless they were there since manufacture or if there was some top end work done. In my mind, it would lead me to question if the first service was really ever done.

It's your bike, but oil is much cheaper than replacing a motor, drop it at 2000 miles and see if the big parts are still there. Keep in mine your bike is still breaking in and there will always be some metal fleck in the oil but more of a dust than chunks is to be expected.

Old 04-13-2013, 09:33 AM
Man In Black
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

This is totally normal for any new engine to have metal filings in the oil after breakin. Thats because all of the parts are wearing ( or seating in ) to each other . If it didn't your engine would use oil in excess forever. That why I don't like to use synthetic oil during breakin , because it prevents wear . When I am breaking in a new engine , I do the first oil drain at 200 miles because thats when you will get the most filings and it is important to change the filter too. Then I change again at 500 miles again with regular oil until the next change which would be with synthetic.

Old 04-13-2013, 09:43 AM
ber1200c
Intermediate

I changed oil at 900 miles per owners manual guideline. Saw no flakes. The presence of flakes is alarming. 1/16 inch strips would freak me out.

Old 04-13-2013, 10:00 AM
tbonetony06
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

There is nothing normal about 1/16" sliver's in an engines oil at any mileage. I would be freaked out and contacting a good and reputable INDY A.S.A.P. Also, do you by any chance have an oil pressure gauge and Temp gauge or stick for the oil tank? With what is going on with your bike is why I have both of those. You would be able to see if it's getting hot and if it's holding pressure. If it were me I would be worried but I'm also pretty **** about my bike too.

Old 04-13-2013, 11:07 AM
_Gir_
Road Warrior
Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

I had a decent amount during my very first change since bought new but the metal was very fine/tiny. Ever since then I barely have anything on the magnet.

Old 04-13-2013, 08:15 PM
Man In Black
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ber1200c
I changed oil at 900 miles per owners manual guideline. Saw no flakes. The presence of flakes is alarming. 1/16 inch strips would freak me out.
A one time thing to see even a few pieces of steel 1/16 in the bottom around the drain plug is nothing to freak about unless you are having problems. We all know building a Harley isn't like making a swiss watch. The quality control isn't what it should be and you would find that not every internal part is polished to remove all burrs which will fall into the oil during breakin. That usually comes out in the first or second oil change , but that is why I always change the oil and filter at the first 200 miles and again at 500. Don't worry about it and enjoy unless you are having problems.

Quick Reply: Metal slivers and small metal flakes in oil ?