Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2002 Fatboy Warranty

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2005, 05:13 PM
Lowman
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 Fatboy Warranty

Hey everyone...quick question. I found a 2002 Fatboy that I am possibly interested in. It has about 1 year left on the Factory Warranty according to the seller (Independant Dealer). If I end up buying it, is there a way to buy an extended warranty through HD on my own, or is the remaining 1 year warranty all I'm gonna get?

Thanks for any info available...this bike is pretty sweet.

JB

Old 08-17-2005, 05:39 PM
HDF Tech
Banned
Received 152 Likes on 43 Posts
Default RE: 2002 Fatboy Warranty

You can buy a warrantee on most bikes from the dealer without a problem , as far as extending it, I would guess they would be only too hapy to take your money, your best bet is to make a few calls to a dealer.

Old 08-17-2005, 05:49 PM
Lowman
Road Warrior

I guess I should have been clearer - it's a dealership that deals in used Harleys - I don't believe he is affiliated with Harley at all, so I didn;t know if he even has the ability to do sell me an extended warranty. I'll give him a call and ask him directly.

Aside from that - I assume that there are peopel on both sides about a factory warranty - what are everyone's feelings on extending it? My only concern is buying a used bike and something defective happening or along those lines and getting stuck with no recourse on getting things repaired without paying through the nose.

Again - I'm looking for opinions or experiences - I kow in the end the decision is minde depending on what the warranty extension would cost.

Joe

Old 08-17-2005, 07:56 PM
Boatman
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you buy the Harley Warranty, it can only be purchased thru a new Harley dealer. Make your used dealer give you a written warranty thru them for 3 months or so. If something were wrong, it should show up early or offer $500-1000 less to cover repairs if needed.

Old 08-17-2005, 10:40 PM
Lowman
Road Warrior

Sounds like good advice - now here's another dumb question:

If I buy the bike from this independant dealer - can I go to a full-fledged dealer and purchase an extended warranty as long as the current one is still good?

Again - sorry of these are dumb questions...I'm calling some dealers but I also wanted to tap into the knowledge all the members of this forum have as well.

JB

Old 08-18-2005, 12:01 AM
SHEP
Tourer

I NEVER purchase an extended warranty on anything, especially a motor vehicle. I work part time for a car dealer and the only one that comes out ahead on a warrany is the dealer and the warranty company.
Put the money in the bank and if anything goes wrong use it to fix the bike.

Old 08-18-2005, 09:57 AM
Lowman
Road Warrior

Much appreciated for all the information and opinions offered...this helps a lot in my decision-making process.

Thanks again...

JB

Old 08-18-2005, 12:01 PM
oldgeezer
Grand HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Unless the bike has been abused or the previous owner has modified the engine quite a bit, you probably won't need an extended warranty. Harley's are pretty reliable. Like Shep says, put the money in the bank and use it if the bike ever breaks. If this is a good deal, I hope it works out for you. I know you've got the fever and it doesn't go away until you are riding the scoot of your dreams.

Old 08-18-2005, 12:36 PM
Lowman
Road Warrior

You are 100% correct Geez...I have 2 bikes I am looking at right now - a 1997 and a 2002 Fatboy, both very clean with a few chrome add-ons, and both at the same independant dealer.

I'm surprised none of the authorized dealers in my area have come across any Fatboys lately, but that says a lot about the bikes - people hold on to them.

I have the fever pretty bad but I'm being pretty methodical and doing all the research I can before I pull the trigger on anything...sooner or later "my" bike is going to find me and I'll make the move...

Thanks again for the insight - I appreciate it.

JB

Old 08-19-2005, 10:45 AM
Taildraggerdave
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Good luck with your purchase. You'll love the bike.

Quick Reply: 2002 Fatboy Warranty