Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel management question

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2013, 10:37 PM
Bluraven
Grand HDF Member
Received 774 Likes on 469 Posts
Default Fuel management question

Can someone explain to me just what a SERT is and is that similiar to a Power Commander, or Power Vision? Can these be installed by a novice such as myself and produce more top end power? After installation do I need to have it Dyno'd?

I want more power, but don't want to spend for a cam at this time.

I think my 09 Heritage with my fat *** and my wife on it just lacks a bit of the high end power.

Thanks,

Old 04-05-2013, 10:03 AM
Bluraven
Grand HDF Member

OK perhaps I'm asking too much.

Can someone who has a Power Commander V with autotune tell me what performance increase I can expect to get from it with a V&H Staggered big shots, and Screaming Eagle Stage 1 K&N air filter?

Should I be looking at some other fuel management device or tuner?

I'd like more top end power.
I do plan on changing cams eventually.

Thanks,

Old 04-05-2013, 12:58 PM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm running stock with slipons and K&N AC and though I've toyed and researched the tuner option, I haven't really had a good enough reason to drop the dollars. Bike runs fine and I'd hate to fix something that's not broke.

When I asked one of the main vendors for dynojet what I would gain from adding a tuner to my bike their response didn't include more horsepower. Mainly better throttle response and a cooler running bike by virtue of more gas cooling the cylinders. I was also told that my slipons and ac may give me about 6-10 more hp. but I can't say that I can detect any difference.

But if I were to get a tuner it would likely be the Powervision. Main reason is that you don't have to add anything to the bike. You plug it in and flash your ecm. Then unplug it. I already have a bunch of other modules for this and that under my seat so there's no room for a piggyback setup.
I also like that it saves your stock settings in case you want to change back.

What I don't like about it is the price and the fact that's it's married to one bike. I'm guessing this means it has zero resale value.

Old 04-05-2013, 01:06 PM
t03cutt3r
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

iClick did a great write up on Tuners.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/elect...-by-admin.html

Old 04-05-2013, 05:50 PM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by t03cutt3r
iClick did a great write up on Tuners.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/elect...-by-admin.html
Thanks for the link. I saved it just in case I ever lose my mind and decide to pay $800 for Powervision with autotune. Gezz, that more than I paid for my last computer.

Old 04-05-2013, 06:49 PM
UT-rckr
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the PV without the auto tune. You can actually do a bit of fine tuning by data logging and then running those logs through a program that comes with it. You do need to start off with a good tune though. Purchase from Fuel Moto and they will preload it with a tune for your bike, then you can fine tune it yourself. Cost about $500 but worth it in my opinion. You have the ability to change tunes yourself without having to go to the dealer everytime (my dealer is terrible so I refuse to give them any money). There are plenty of people on here who will tell you that you need to get it dynoed everytime, but my bike runs great without the dyno. When I do more than just pipes and intake I will probably get a dyno, but I personally don't see a need for it with just stage 1.

Old 04-06-2013, 08:14 AM
Bluraven
Grand HDF Member

UT-Rckr- what changes to the bike did you notice after the PCV?
Better fuel mileage, more power, cooler running ...

Thanks,

Old 04-06-2013, 09:57 AM
UT-rckr
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It runs better and cooler, and 6th gear is actually usable around 65 mph now instead of having to wait until hitting 70-75. No noticeable difference in hp. I think you have to get into doing cams and such before you will really feel a difference in power. Having come from a Honda Shadow 750 before this bike, I still feel like I have plenty of power. When that wears off then I will look at performance gains. The pipes and air cleaner were all about looks for me, and the PV to get it to run better.

Old 04-06-2013, 10:25 AM
Bluraven
Grand HDF Member

does it run smoother? You stated that 6th is now usable around 65 instead of having to wait until hitting 70-75. What's the difference that allows you to hit 6th at 65, RPMs or is the vibration just more tolerable?

At 65 in 6th I find just a bit more vibration than 5th gear so I typically don't shift to 6th until around 75.

Sorry for all the questions, but I'm seriously considering a tuner and want what's best for the money, but also I want what's going to be a gain for me.

Thanks,

Old 04-06-2013, 12:13 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

While a good tuner will help most all bikes, IMHO the biggest and best bang for the money is a simple bolt in cam along with the stg 1 and fuel tuner and dyno.
In 07, IMO, the SERT was the best tuner around, but now, with all the new ones I'll just say in the hands of a good dyno tuner they are still among the best.
I've had Zero problems in 7yrs with my SERT, my son has had 3 new bikes since 07, 1 with the SERT and his last two with SEpST. He also has had Zero problems .
We do have a really good master tuner at out dealer who does a great tune.
If I get another new bike it will have the SEpST installed, I don't care for the piggy-back types. Just me.

For U to compare what eack mod does. Heres my dyno numbers for our Heritage.

New stock at 1k ------59 hp, 75#tq.
* Added Stg1/ Rush muffs and SE A/C, SERT and dyno at 1k service - Pre-tune 63hp, 79#tq
* Stg1/ Rush muffs and SE A/C, SERT - after dyno tune --- 70hp, 82#tq
she did run better, start easier, and oil temp dropped 10*,,,BUT,,, I couldn't really feel much, if any, difference in the power.
* For me Stg1 did not make 6th gear usable. with only stg1, 6th gear always Labored the motor, I needed to apply a little throttle to keep speed up and I'd loose 2-3 mpg every-time I used 6th dropping to 40mpg.

Best Mod for me was adding Cams. Andrews 26 h's. Here is what they did.

* Increased dyno Numbers to 80hp and 92#Tq,
* Increased TQ in the 2K to 3.5k rpm. Where we need it most. Now have more TQ at 2200rpm than she did stock at 4k rpm.
* Better fuel mileage. I get 3-4 mpg better all the time, (42-47) using 6th at 65 is now best.
* Cooled the motor another 15*, she now averages around 215 vs 250 new.
* Now 6th gear is easily used, Best mileage now is 65 in 6th (45-47) even two up at 60 doesn't Labor her at all. Big diff having 84#s of TQ and above instead of the 70#'s TQ in stock form. in the low rpm's.

Quick Reply: Fuel management question