Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Primary Leak???

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2013 | 07:09 PM
harleyheaven
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by prosnowsk8er
I just had a leak similar to what you are descibing also, after a ride it would leak down onto the pimary drain plug and a few drips would be present after ever ride.

It ended up being from the lower bolt that holds the primary chain tensioner to the inner primary, botht he bolts were BENT and loose, if u look up on the back of the inner primarty u can see the hole goes right through the back of it, hense why you need the RTV, anyways i cleaned up, put in some new RTV and replaced screws,

no leaks!

hope this helps.
Could you be a little more specific? Did you remove the outer primary and install new gasket, etc?

Old 05-01-2013 | 01:23 PM
prosnowsk8er
Cruiser

Originally Posted by harleyheaven
Could you be a little more specific? Did you remove the outer primary and install new gasket, etc?
removed outer primary and removed bolts from primary chain tensioner.

they were a little bent and had worked there way out, replaced and put RTV in the holes as the manual says.

used same primary gasket.
no leaks.

Old 05-01-2013 | 01:44 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member

The older TC think 1999-2001 or so had the tensioner bolt come thru the back side. By 2004 like mine it does not come thru. There are two donut stick on gaskets that go on the two inner boss faces were the outer cover butts up against. They prevent the primary oil from leaking out the back side were the two long bolts go thru that hold the adjust window on the bike before the pre self adjuster. If someone forgot these when putting on the outer cover, oil would leak down the back side. If yours has an adjustment window, remove just the two long screws (the right one and the top one) and squirt some brake degreaser in the hole. Squirt a little RTC in the hole and around the threads and replace screws may fix that. The back side of the inner primary cover should get a bead of RTV where it fits over the nose of the engine where crank shaft comes thru. Another easy omission, mentioned in inner cover replacement but not show anywhere.

Old 05-01-2013 | 07:08 PM
FroggyFatBoy
Outstanding HDF Member

I'm not sure if your 05 is the same setup as my 07 but i had a IPB seal go out. but it wasn't actually the seal. there is a sleeve that goes on the main shaft that the seal rides on. there is a gap between the sleeve and the actual IPB that allows the sleeve to walk on the shaft towards the bearing and not make contact with the seal anymore. There are a few of us who have cut the sleeve off, installed an aftermarket seal and bearing to match the shaft diameters. look in the DIY primary forum section theres a few threads on the subject.

Old 05-01-2013 | 09:29 PM
harleyheaven
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by FroggyFatBoy
I'm not sure if your 05 is the same setup as my 07 but i had a IPB seal go out. but it wasn't actually the seal. there is a sleeve that goes on the main shaft that the seal rides on. there is a gap between the sleeve and the actual IPB that allows the sleeve to walk on the shaft towards the bearing and not make contact with the seal anymore. There are a few of us who have cut the sleeve off, installed an aftermarket seal and bearing to match the shaft diameters. look in the DIY primary forum section theres a few threads on the subject.
Looks like this may be my issue. Mine is in the shop now as I did not have the time or the inclination to tackle it right now. Apparently this is a common issue. My indy says S&S makes a sleeve that is tapered and it can only "walk" so far and that's what will be going back on mine.