Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do you lock up your expensive helmet?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2013, 07:58 PM
JimInMich
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do you lock up your expensive helmet?

I have always worn a cheap helmet ( under $100 ), so I have always just placed my helmet either on my mirror or sat it in the seat. I'm now thinking of buying a $300+ helmet. What are you guys using to secure it? I'm riding a 98 Heritage Classic with saddles. I have a sissy bar with luggage rack, but it is a quick disconnect model. So if I locked it to that, they could just snitch the whole damn thing. Besides, I dont usually use the sissy bar unless I'm on a long trip or the ol lady is with me ( which isnt often ).

Man, I'd hate to have to lug that damn thing around with me.

Old 03-31-2013, 08:06 PM
im
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 860 Likes on 650 Posts

Simple lock around clutch lever and d-ring. Small and easy to carry.
A gun cable lock around anything on bike. Little larger but no big deal.
The harley helmet lock to frame component. Stationary and no need to look for it.
You should consider installing a lock on your quick disconnect luggage rack soon.

Old 03-31-2013, 08:07 PM
elizer
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

They have some helmet locks But really they could just cut the straps to take them off. I usually just carry the helmet with me. If i dont have a helmet i can't ride here legally. And i just dont like the thought of someone lifting my helmet just for the hell of it or to sell.

Old 03-31-2013, 08:09 PM
Tracker56
Road Master
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

I usually carry a simple cable lock and use it to secure my jacket and helmet to the bike when I can't carry them with me. It coils up and fits in my swingarm bag with space to spare.

Old 03-31-2013, 08:10 PM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,548 Likes on 6,277 Posts

I lock mine in my tour pack, if I have room. If not I use the Harley lock which works well. I originally mounted mine on the left engine guard, but moved it to the right engine guard so it would sit higher.

I would recommend getting some allen screws instead of the Security screws, which I had to use an extractor to remove.

http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/g...bmLocale=en_US

Old 03-31-2013, 08:17 PM
EasternSP
Banned
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 24,869 Likes on 9,332 Posts

I usually just put the buckle end of the strap in the saddle bag and let the helmet hang outside of the bag then lock the bag. I don't think the helmet would be any good to someone if they cut the strap.
A friend of mine usually left his helmet on his seat. He contracted a bad case of Impetigo. Had it all over his head before he went to a doctor. Stuff is highly contagious with simple contact. Well, one day his puss infected helmet was stolen for his bike. Whoever the thief was got his just reward.

Old 03-31-2013, 08:18 PM
SoCalSoftailSlim
Elite HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

H-D helmet lock here too. Got mine situated so it obstructs the shifter when my helmet rest on my floorboard.

If anyone cuts the helmet straps, they won't have a very useful helmet outta that theft. Plus, one extra thing they'd have to do to take my bike. My lid isn't expensive. It's a Bell Custom 500 about 135 bucks. But I don't like to carry my helmet all over.

Last edited by SoCalSoftailSlim; 03-31-2013 at 08:27 PM.
Old 03-31-2013, 08:34 PM
elizer
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Im with you guys. Just a bunch of kids here who like to vandalize crap. And if i dont have a helmet... i have to call someone to bringme one or give me a ride home. Just easier for me i guess to lug it around. But the whole putting the lock so it sits over the shifter looks like a good idea

Old 03-31-2013, 08:57 PM
Man In Black
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by JimInMich
I have always worn a cheap helmet ( under $100 ), so I have always just placed my helmet either on my mirror or sat it in the seat. I'm now thinking of buying a $300+ helmet. What are you guys using to secure it? I'm riding a 98 Heritage Classic with saddles. I have a sissy bar with luggage rack, but it is a quick disconnect model. So if I locked it to that, they could just snitch the whole damn thing. Besides, I dont usually use the sissy bar unless I'm on a long trip or the ol lady is with me ( which isnt often ).

Man, I'd hate to have to lug that damn thing around with me.
Put your dog on the back and tie him to it when you stop.

Old 03-31-2013, 09:43 PM
Koshman32
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've always worn a cheaper $100 half helmet. And if I'm leaving the bike somewhere I don't trust I always just take it with me. Better peace of mind that way. I know I could always lock it somehow, but people are enough of an arsehole to cut the strap and take it, just so you don't have a helmet, or do something to the helmet while it's sitting there. I know of one guy around here who had his helmet locked to his bike at a Walmart parking lot, and someone came along and pissed inside of it. I'd rather have it stolen.

Quick Reply: Do you lock up your expensive helmet?