Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Night train for street glide

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2013, 05:33 AM
Kowan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Koshman32
That's what I always tell people! "Baggers are cool, you can ride all the way there and be totally comfortable, but once you got there you wish you were on your cool bike. Should just tough it out."
Have you noticed at least when he's being filmed, he and his crew isn't carrying any thing on the bike for the trip. They have a chaser van/truck carrying the stuff those that tough it out actually do.
I have a roll bag strapped to the handle bars and a backpack good for cramming 3 to 4 days worth of change of clothes.

I'm not claiming to be tougher than anyone else, but put it in perspective.

Old 04-01-2013, 10:16 AM
Wide_Open
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 149 Likes on 83 Posts

If you really want the Street Glide then that's the way to go. I'd like to have SG or maybe a Road King myself but no way I could give up my Night Train for one.

Old 04-01-2013, 10:56 AM
IzzoQuazzo
Retired Admin

Received 9,041 Likes on 3,711 Posts

Originally Posted by MidnightRider112
Keep the train and just buy the Street Glide...you'll love havin two!

+1

Would not give up my SG, but would love to have a Nightrain or Crossbones for around town and short trips.

Old 04-01-2013, 04:43 PM
08Nighttrain
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That really depends on if you want style or comfort. I will leave it up to you to figure out which is which.

Old 04-01-2013, 05:01 PM
fxstbharley2008
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you can afford it
Have them both.
My MC insurance went down so that promped me to buy a second HD
I have always had a Softail.
I had a Rocker traded it in for a New Street Glide.
Wanted another softail so I found a good deal on a train.
I bought a 07 Night Train
So now I have a 2012 Street Glide and a 07 Night Train

Old 04-01-2013, 05:06 PM
mdp
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by thundergod
Thinking about trading the night train for a new street glide any thoughts
Keep the Train and buy the Street Glide. I want an Ultra an there no way I am trading n the Train.

Old 04-01-2013, 05:18 PM
Vic Bronco
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kowan
Have you noticed at least when he's being filmed, he and his crew isn't carrying any thing on the bike for the trip. They have a chaser van/truck carrying the stuff those that tough it out actually do.
I have a roll bag strapped to the handle bars and a backpack good for cramming 3 to 4 days worth of change of clothes.

I'm not claiming to be tougher than anyone else, but put it in perspective.
He's not the only guy who does it, I've seen it plenty of times, sometimes 1%ers in a group will have a prospect driving the chaser van, sometimes just a group of riders with some of the guys' old ladies in the van who don't want to bust their vag on the back of a softail for 800 miles.

If I was in a position to be driving to Sturgis with a booth/merch/camera crew following me I think I'd be stupid to strap my gear to my bike when there's going to be a perfectly good van following me there anyway. Your body's still going to have to tough the ride out more on a Softail or Dyna than it would on a bagger. Your balance would be better on the bike without all the stuff strapped on, so you're safer that way anyway.

Old 04-01-2013, 05:20 PM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 20,077 Likes on 5,816 Posts

Originally Posted by JRL1164
Street glides are nice for long rides but you may also consider a heritage. IMO the heritage is good for around town and the long haul. A street glide for me would be a bit heavy for just around town trips.

2012 Street Glide curb weight 822
2012 Heritage curb weight 761
difference 61 pounds

...basically the bikes weigh the same.

Old 04-01-2013, 06:12 PM
blackscootersociety
Cruiser
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Dude, weigh out your options carefully. Each has its pros and cons. I own both at the moment. The decision is yours ultimately. You gotta decide what you like better and what you really use your bike for. If you go on a trip on it once a year and around town the rest, I'd stick with the train, if you travel alot on it, well... I decided to stretch a little thin for a year or two and keep my train for a multitude of reasons.

A word of advice if you do decide to get an FL no matter how you work out your deal. Take a closer look at the electraglide classic (not the ultra classic... unless you like that and can get a good deal on it.) IF you tour alot and lay miles down, you'll get alot more bang for your buck with the classic. Especially if you travel two up. Another tip that I learned is that they'll budge on a classic, but they won't on a SG. The SG's are selling themselves right now, get my drift?

Old 04-01-2013, 07:15 PM
tbonetony06
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

2 totally different bikes. I personally could never see myself going without a Softail and I would surly never trade in a Softail for anything else. There are other bikes to ride on down the road in comfort other than the SG, although it is a nice bike. This is my last bike and I knew it when I bought it. It's your cash, do what you want and enjoy. Just try to make sure as best you can before you get rid of a bike you love and back in debt for another.

Quick Reply: Night train for street glide