Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Had been wanting to do this one for a while - LED along the rear fender of my Slim

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2013, 06:37 PM
SoCalSoftailSlim
Elite HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts
Default Had been wanting to do this one for a while - LED along the rear fender of my Slim

Have had the parts for months, but have been so busy. And needed some clarity on the wiring. Kevin at Custom Dynamics was happy to help me out.

I love it on the Slim because the single run/turn/breaks back there were not so safe here in LA. The LED does exactly what the stock lights do, and the stock lights still do what they did before. And the light is recessed with a stepped mounting stick under the fender, so I didn't have to stick anything to the paint.

And the smoked lenses when everything is off:

Out to take her for a spin now!!

Last edited by SoCalSoftailSlim; 03-30-2013 at 08:07 PM.
Old 03-30-2013, 06:44 PM
fergml
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That looks great! Mind posting the custom dynamics part #? Hell, might as well do a full write up on the wiring...

I have the Custom Dynamics led brake lights but I'm looking to get even more visibility.

Old 03-30-2013, 07:03 PM
oc1014
Road Captain

Great mod. Looks realy good.

Old 03-30-2013, 07:08 PM
slim12
Tourer

Originally Posted by SoCalSoftailSlim

It looks so sad! haha just kidding Sweet mod! The more i see these light bars the more i want it

Old 03-30-2013, 08:10 PM
SoCalSoftailSlim
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by fergml
That looks great! Mind posting the custom dynamics part #? Hell, might as well do a full write up on the wiring...

I have the Custom Dynamics led brake lights but I'm looking to get even more visibility.
Thanks Dudes. When I get a chance later this weekend I'll post up something on the wiring. The light is actually custom, from Custom Dynamics. It's from their TruFlex line.

I measured my fender beforehand so it would wrap around just enough on the sides for cagers to see me in the right and left lanes. They made it run/break/turn to the length I wanted.

Last edited by SoCalSoftailSlim; 03-31-2013 at 12:39 AM.
Old 03-30-2013, 08:45 PM
SoCalSoftailSlim
Elite HDF Member

Here's a 1 minute vid link of all the functions. Be patient and watch till the end cuz it took me a while to get them all with my camera phone.

http://s1220.photobucket.com/user/57...7d302.mp4.html

Last edited by SoCalSoftailSlim; 03-30-2013 at 11:08 PM.
Old 03-30-2013, 09:15 PM
fergml
Advanced

Looks like it came stock from the Motor Company themselves! Great job! I've seen some Sportster lights tucked under there but that's so much better.

Old 03-30-2013, 09:30 PM
elizer
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I like that gonna probably have to do that soon. I ride a lot more at night than I like so this would be a good upgrade.

Old 03-30-2013, 10:41 PM
SoCalSoftailSlim
Elite HDF Member

Start first with this diagram, kindly provided by one of our fellow Slim owners: jam436. We're gonna do a different connection than he outlined in this diagram. His is for run/break. Ours is gonna be for run/break/turn.

Attached Thumbnails Had been wanting to do this one for a while - LED along the rear fender of my Slim-cdledbrakelightwiring_zps40428357.jpg  

Last edited by SoCalSoftailSlim; 03-30-2013 at 10:55 PM.
Old 03-30-2013, 10:47 PM
SoCalSoftailSlim
Elite HDF Member

Then you use 2 Custom Dynamics dual converters, one for each stock wiring group just like the group diagramed above. In other words, a dual converter for the wiring group running to your right signals. And a dual converter for the wiring group running left.

Here's what the wiring groups look like in your slim (the center wiring group (all black) runs your license plate light and you leave that alone. The grey one runs to the exhaust side of your bike. The other black one runs to the kick stand side of your bike.

You connect the dual converters to the bike's wiring as follows.

Orange from converter to white of bike
Red from converter to red of bike
(You will also have to make one ground connection from the black of the TrueFlex itself to a black on either the right or left stock wiring group.)

You should use the Custom Dynamics Posi-Taps to make the connections (it basically allows you to splice without cutting wires) and keep your stock connections intact. I'm handy splicing and soldering, but the Posi-Taps were just so much easier, honestly.

Think of the TrueFlex as separate right side and left side lights. So you'll be making 5 "splices" with the Posi-Taps in all: 2 "splices" on the factory wiring group that leads to the left signals, and 2 "splices" on the factory wiring group that leads to the right. And then 1 additional "splice" on either wiring group on a black ground.

Then you connect the open leads of the dual converters to the TrueFlex as follows. You can use Posi-Taps for these connections too. i liked em so much, I did.

Brown-Left Side TruFlex wire to dual converter connected to your left side wiring group

Purple-Right Side TruFlex wire to dual converter connected to your right side wiring group

Black- ground wire of your TruFlex to a black ground wire in either side wiring group

Hope that makes sense! And PLEASE consult Custom Dynamics when you do this as well. This was my first time wiring anything on my Harley, and though I got it right, I prefer you check in with the experts.

Last edited by SoCalSoftailSlim; 03-30-2013 at 11:26 PM.

Quick Reply: Had been wanting to do this one for a while - LED along the rear fender of my Slim