Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FM heads and VH pro pipe WOW!!! I am very pleased!

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2013, 02:22 PM
Raccerx67
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FM heads and VH pro pipe WOW!!! I am very pleased!

Well I finally got my pipes and today it warmed up so this morning i did some tuning runs followed by a nice cruise with my wife then some time on it by myself to play! I had the 107 kit and cams from last winters project, added fuelmoto B heads and changed from VH big shot staggered to the pro pipe running standard baffle. I was shocked how much performance this thing gained. Hits 120mph with room to go but that is way more speed than I care about lol. This thing pulls very very hard through the entire rpm band. The sound on the pro pipe is better than I thought it would be by far. VERY deep low rumble and loudness is just a touch quieter than the BSS I took off. Crank on the throttle and she stays with the deep tone but bellows nicely. No dyno run is planned for several weeks due to money but I can say it pulls much harder than with the 107 and stock heads and my old torque dip that I could actually feel in the seat is completely gone!!!!! This thing rocks!!!! Thank You Jamie, Keith, and Brian from FuelMoto you have made me one happy biker!!!!!!
here is a vid/sound clip from my cell phone, not the best quality but gives ya some idea.

Attached Thumbnails FM heads and VH pro pipe WOW!!! I am very pleased!-pro-pipe-installed-01.jpg   FM heads and VH pro pipe WOW!!! I am very pleased!-pro-pipe-installed-02.jpg   FM heads and VH pro pipe WOW!!! I am very pleased!-pro-pipe-installed-03.jpg   FM heads and VH pro pipe WOW!!! I am very pleased!-pro-pipe-installed-05.jpg   FM heads and VH pro pipe WOW!!! I am very pleased!-pro-pipe-installed-04.jpg  

Old 03-30-2013, 02:25 PM
Raccerx67
Cruiser

ok here is the vid/soundclip. It still had the fuel map from before the new heads and pipe so it wasent running at its best there. I have 6 auto tuning runs in it now and its running amazing!!!!!

Last edited by Raccerx67; 03-30-2013 at 02:27 PM. Reason: more info
Old 03-30-2013, 02:40 PM
tbonetony06
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Head work, IMHO, is about the most under estimated but best mods one can do. They are more than not, the most forgotten and un-used mods one can do too. Once you have head work done it does nothing but enhance every thing you do to your motor after that. If I were given a new bike and I were told I can have 1 but only 1 mod done to the motor for performance it would be head work. That's just me too, I don't know what others would choose.

Old 03-30-2013, 03:11 PM
Raccerx67
Cruiser

I totally agree with you on that, I just couldn't afford to do everything at once last year so I did the biggest cost jump then and finnished it up this time, I do think I will end up doing something with the throttle body at some point but that isn't in the budget right now.

Thanks for the reply man and be safe!
Doug

Love your bike btw awesome looking!

Old 03-30-2013, 03:34 PM
tbonetony06
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Cool Dude, hey, what are you thinking as far as throttle bodies go? That is one thing I have not gotten into because it's an area of that bike that I know little or nothing about. What are the options and what purpose does it serve if changed to something else? I've touched just about everything on that bike but the throttle body and the biggest reason for that is just because of that, I know little about them, pro and cons for changing them and why. I'm done this winter and way over budget so that gives me a year to learn more about them and put it on next winter's list if it will serve a purpose on my bike.

Old 03-30-2013, 04:37 PM
Raccerx67
Cruiser

The t-body/intake can restrict airflow just like stock heads can. Our softails with cable t-bodys are only 46mm at the butterfly/throttle plate. The drive by wire (DBW) touring bikes are 50mm stock. Soooo ours are pretty restrictive after you you get into the big bore kits and good flowing heads with healthy cams. I know when I talked to hillside and Jamie at fuelmoto they said mine would run fine without but better with. You can go too big then the air velocity slows down and that will hurt the atomization of the fuel. It will also hurt ya because air has density and the faster its moving it will "ram" more air into the cylinder at higher velocity's. But too small and it will starve the heads for air. Also when you increase t-body size ya usually increase injector size so the pulse width is reduced on the injector open time. When pulse width starts getting up to the max the injector doesn't stay closed long enough to build up internal fuel pressure for correct fuel atomization on "squirt". The technical junkies can word all of that in doctor terms but that is a good basic way to describe it. Hillside recommended a HPI 55mm t-body for my build if I went with there stage 3 heads. No clue how there stage 3 heads compare to fuelmoto B heads.

basics is if ya go too big on t-body you can loose some low end torque and gain some high rpm hp. too small you can loose some accross the entire range. In my opinion for my build a 50-55mm with a step up in injector size would be the iceing on the cake and have my setup right on the money. Definitely research and give someone a call and see what they recommend for your specific build. I know fuelmoto and hillside will not just try to sell ya something ya don't need just to make profit. I am sure there are several other companies/sponsors here that are also that honest. I can only speak for the experience I have had with who I have done business.

Maybe that helps, I hope
Doug