Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need helping buying first Harley

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2013, 10:07 PM
graysonbornhunter
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need helping buying first Harley

I'm in the process of buying my first Harley. Want a Fatboy Lo. I've talked to about 5 dealers and all of them keep saying they sale the bikes on MSRP. How can you negotiate with them to get a lower price? Car dealers hate to see me coming so I want to get the best deal I can on the Harley too.

Old 03-25-2013, 10:39 PM
loverofBIGtwins
Cruiser

On new bikes they rarely lower the price much if any, sometimes $500 depending on the time of year. Local dealer here will give you around 10% off accessories or money towards accessories from their shop. Could be different other place though. Good luck.

Old 03-25-2013, 10:44 PM
slim12
Tourer

I think the best way is to negotiate with dealers is to get things thrown in with the price. I managed to get a security system and tax and tags at sticker price plus a half helmet.

Last edited by slim12; 03-25-2013 at 10:54 PM.
Old 03-25-2013, 10:50 PM
redmosquito1
Tourer

I dealt in out the door pricing when I bought mine, but it was late may when I finally did and not much inventory was moving being that I'm in a recession hit area north of detroit.

What I did was went to the closest dealer and talked price, got him to a reasonable area but new I could do better, called every dealer in a reasonable area and ask for their out the door prices. Wrote them down and who I talked to and found one or 2 that were close to msrp out the door and one below msrp out the door. Called the local dealer up and told the salesman that he was very helpful and I'd like to give him the commision since he spent a good hour with me total, but in order to do that he'd need to be at MSRP out the door, and that I had bank approval and could be there in an hour to sign the documents. He hemmed and hawed a bit then agreed to the deal for MSRP out the door (tax, title, registration, dealer fees all in that price)

Seemed to work, I buy all my **** from there now and even with the snafu with my rear wheel coming loose and them not wanting to fix it I'll be going back for my next purchase. Maybe, if they hit my price that is.

Old 03-25-2013, 10:54 PM
heritageblue2013
Grand HDF Member
Received 577 Likes on 318 Posts

Harley's sell. So as mentioned above. A good deal on a Harley is to pay at or below on MSRP. If you dont pay it, someone else will. I just bought a Heritage new 2013 and they only took off freight and handling. I shopped five different dealers separate from each other and that was the best I could do. One told me the average new bike only lived there less than a month. HD = Hundred Dollars

Old 03-25-2013, 10:56 PM
heritageblue2013
Grand HDF Member
Received 577 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by loverofBIGtwins
On new bikes they rarely lower the price much if any, sometimes $500 depending on the time of year. Local dealer here will give you around 10% off accessories or money towards accessories from their shop. Could be different other place though. Good luck.
Did she come with the scoot?

Old 03-25-2013, 11:01 PM
loverofBIGtwins
Cruiser

Originally Posted by heritageblue2013
Did she come with the scoot?
If she did I wouldn't be wasting time on this forum!!!! (No offense to this forum haha)

Old 03-25-2013, 11:02 PM
Tailsfrommycrib
Elite HDF Member
Received 60 Likes on 47 Posts

I actually got a lot take off on my deal but it might have something to do with the fact I had purchased more than one Harley from that dealership. These are hard economic times and just about anything is negotiable.

Old 03-25-2013, 11:04 PM
jjames
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

People buy Harleys at the dealers prices without too much resistance so in most instances for new you'll be able to get down to MSRP, no prep or freight etc bs, and maybe a few hundred bucks in credit to use on clothing/accesseries at that dealership. At the end of the day if you want a smokin deal find a cherry used bike.

Old 03-25-2013, 11:04 PM
Bluraven
Grand HDF Member
Received 784 Likes on 471 Posts

Well I imagine in NC you are within 30 days of the start of the prime buying season for bikes so your bargaining power is limited.

If you're buying new, then you might be looking at maybe MSRP- $1000 or more likely MSRP with $1000 store credit at best.

If you're buying used, look for a bike that you like that's got some add-ons that you would more than likely add yourself. Typically the add-ons don't add to the purchase price, it only sweeten's the pot.

Keep your focus on what you want and not try to save a buck or two. More than likely you're going to have this bike for some time and in the end, paying $1-2000 more for it than you like really won't matter.

Good luck and ride safe.

Last edited by Bluraven; 03-26-2013 at 05:39 AM.

Quick Reply: Need helping buying first Harley