Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mini Review of Grasshopper Limited Backrest

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2013, 09:54 AM
Radimus
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mini Review of Grasshopper Limited Backrest

Website/link to product: http://www.grasshopperlimited.com/ha...y-2007-and-up/

Studded, w/ Pocket. $120.00

Installation: It easily fastens into the bracket that holds down the driver's saddle after removing the pillon seat. Installs in minutes with no tools needed, beyond what you need to remove the pillon seat.

Impressions of product: The feels sturdy enough for typical use, but I'd be concerned that excessive pressure could damage the fender at the seat bolts especially without the support of the pillon seat or similarly attached supports.

The mounting slots are exceedingly wide for this specific bike. Possibly the bracket is engineered for multiple bike models. It doesn't really detract from form or fit, but it leaves me with the impression that this would be a structural weak spot. If so, this is the most appropriate place for a weak spot. I'd rather have the seat mounting bracket pull apart than the rear fender.

The backrest and the mounting bracket just slide together and pull apart and is only held in by the rider leaning against it. It will not fall off during use and likely is present to make passengers able to quickly remove it and replace it for their mounting and dismounting attempts, however nothing would prevent someone from just sliding it off of a parked bike. If that is a concern, a small bolt or machine screw could be drilled into the bracket to lock it down.

It does provide sufficient support for riding comfort but it does sit a bit forward of what I feel it should be, making me sit more forward in the saddle. Foot placement on the floorboards and highway pegs felt "off" sufficient for me to feel that something needed to be adjusted. The most likely adjustment would seem to be to bend the backrest's arm more acutely so it pushes the backrest more to the rear. Something that should be attempted in a vice or on a sturdy surface, not while on the bike.

It looks nice, but not so much that it looks like a factory seat. It seems to be sufficiently well made that it isn't going to fall apart. The product is worth the money, you'd have to pay substantially more for a more elegant solution.

Old 04-01-2013, 09:15 AM
Radimus
Tourer

Additional Pics with Pillon seat removed

Last edited by Radimus; 09-26-2013 at 03:07 PM.
Old 09-27-2013, 11:35 AM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

Good review.

I've looked and thought about buying a different backrest than what I made myself, BUT I'd have a several concerns about this one and they are the same as U mention above, Plus a couple more.

As U say, The design of their bracket where it mounts to the Fender is just to narrow. This (IMO) will put too much Stress on the Fender itself and the mounting bolts. If a riders leans back into it (seems it needs the rear pillion for support to keep it from bending backwards to much which would put a lot of rearward pressure on the fender and bolts). Even more so if used without the rear pillion seat on. Thinking it could easily cause damage (bend) the fender over time.

I agree with U that their is some design issues that I think could be improved on with this product.
One would be add more metal to the rear of the mounting to fender bracket, IMO like a (V) or even a (T) style bracket instead of just a simple narrow Rectangular piece with holes in it.

If they made the bracket Longer (3"-4") to the rear it would spread out the pressure and would put more of an upward pull on the bolts producing Less side (rearward) pressure on the fender and bolts compared to their current bracket design.

Another issue in IMO that would be an easy fix that would help the looks of their pads is they need to match the spacing.
Harley spots have 1" spacing, the spot spacing on their pads is at least 1 1/4" or maybe even 1 1/2", IMO it just doesn't match MoCo factory look at all.

Also I hope they use the good Brass -Nickle plated spots and not the cheaper Nickle over steel spots which will rust over time.

I also wonder if the receiver bracket that stays on the bike when the pad is removed can be felt by the driver while riding.??

I know this backrest is probably a good value, but it could be improved for just a few $$$ more. Just me..

=========
Below is what I made myself and it work great for lower back comfort.

6 yrs ago when I got the wife the bigger Touring pillion I cut down the Stock seat pan that came with the bike, then I took the spare leftover foam and used spray glue to add it the seat I had left to make what I call a Backrest/Bibb combination.
I then cut the foam with a Electric meat knife to the shape I wanted and had a local upholstery cover it with spots to match the bags.

Its for my Solo riding ONLY, but its added height (6'') VS just the rear seat really helps support my lower back on long rides or trips.
Another thing I like about making it out of the Org seat is it still uses the original 3 mounting points and I didn't have to worry about mounting issues

Old 09-27-2013, 11:53 AM
chrisangie
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wondered about the same things with the fender, but mine has been on 3 yrs and 37k miles and I've not had any problems with it at all. I've been really happy with it.

Old 09-27-2013, 12:41 PM
Radimus
Tourer

Originally Posted by oct1949

I also wonder if the receiver bracket that stays on the bike when the pad is removed can be felt by the driver while riding.??

Yes, it can be felt. It isn't bad, but it is noticeable. It does get annoying on a long ride, but removing it or replacing the backrest only takes a moment. I suppose chopping a half inch off would fix it, but that is a personal thing and a "design flaw" that should have been fixed by the manufacturer. It just leads me to believe that this part is a multi-fit sort of thing and not specific to softtail seats.

I have noticed that the opening/slot for the backrest tab has widened vertically a bit from my leaning into it. It isn't bad and you really have to look to see it, but it is there. I would need to open or split a lot more for it to become non-functioning.

I use this backrest daily and have gotten used to having it there. I am still conscious of not leaning into to it too hard.

I think that my long term solution is to get the tourpak and the single rider relocation mount for it, but that is a several hundred dollar upgrade.

Attached Thumbnails Mini Review of Grasshopper Limited Backrest-capture.jpg  
Old 10-07-2013, 09:34 PM
brassspike
Stage III
Default Grasshopper Backrest Customer Service

I saw a post on this board about this company. They had a backrest that would fit my streetglide. Since Harley had nothing and people gave this company good reviews, I contacted them and bought one. The backrest worked reasonably good for the cost. It would bend if I leaned back too much but I could work with that. The big problem was that it was padded on the back and the front and that took too much room from the wife. Also the shape of the backrest interfered with her legs. I contacted them and they said "No problem" and said that they would take care of me because they wanted a satisfied customer. After a while I contacted them to see how things were coming. I was told that they almost had it ready. That was the last I heard from them. Emails were not returned. I even went to their website and filled out a request. No joy.
I have no clue what happened but I had made a promise to give them feedback on , what started to be, great customer service. Unfortunately, I have to report just the opposite.