Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone purchase and/or ride the new Breakout yet?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2013 | 08:19 AM
lgenf
Outstanding HDF Member

I rode both teh CVO and the regular version last weekend at Bike Week in Daytona

The 103 has more than enough to make that bike a fun, good handling bike

the stock suspension on both bikes was great, zero complaints

the one thing I will say, on the CVO the bars have a slight upward and pull back bend to them (almost like a fat boy) and it is a very comfy riding position

the normal version does not have those bars, instead they almost have a drag bar, straight across on them, there is a slight curve, but you do reach for the bars and its not nearly as comfy

I really like it, and once I finish paying off the SG this year, the breakout will find its way into the stable (a normal one not a CVO) the first mod will be a set of CVO or aftermarket bars, then air cleaner, cams, tuner and exhaust

that bike will be tons of fun for years to come

Old 03-25-2013 | 08:46 AM
HRCH
Cruiser

I wonder how that wide rear tire affects the handling of that bike? I have on several occasion scraped my exhaust on my Dyna Wide Glide during cornering. I also ride a big sportbike, I'm used to leaning and I often forget about the pipes. It's a very uneasy feeling when my pipes scrape. From the looks of pipes, the bike can lean more than my Dyna Wide Glide, but I'm not sure about the Breakout's wide rear tire. But I have to admit, the wide rear tire is what makes this bike stand out.

Old 03-25-2013 | 10:32 AM
lv2xlr8
4th Gear

We took a road trip this weekend, which allowed us to stop at several dealers. They all had the blue Breakout. While that is a very sharp bike, I would still like to see it in the black and the red. It is too hard to judge by the pictures online or in the sales book. If anyone has pictures of the other colors from dealerships they have been at, please post!! Thanks!

Old 03-25-2013 | 11:01 AM
flyin1200
|
Tourer

Originally Posted by lv2xlr8
We took a road trip this weekend, which allowed us to stop at several dealers. They all had the blue Breakout. While that is a very sharp bike, I would still like to see it in the black and the red. It is too hard to judge by the pictures online or in the sales book. If anyone has pictures of the other colors from dealerships they have been at, please post!! Thanks!
Are you the same "lv2xlr8" from YellowBullet?

Old 03-25-2013 | 03:47 PM
lv2xlr8
4th Gear

Nope - not from YellowBullet. Guess just another speed freak!

Old 03-25-2013 | 05:08 PM
Hammy
Tourer

Originally Posted by HRCH
I wonder how that wide rear tire affects the handling of that bike? I have on several occasion scraped my exhaust on my Dyna Wide Glide during cornering. I also ride a big sportbike, I'm used to leaning and I often forget about the pipes. It's a very uneasy feeling when my pipes scrape. From the looks of pipes, the bike can lean more than my Dyna Wide Glide, but I'm not sure about the Breakout's wide rear tire. But I have to admit, the wide rear tire is what makes this bike stand out.
Softails scrape early and often, more so than your wide glide.. My road glide handles much better than my crossbones, but for actual fast cornering you would need sportbike, or a xr1200, my sport bike is a diavel..
Do yourdself a favor go test ride the bikes you think you want and test ride them the way you will be riding them. Don't bother asking a bunch of know it alls on the forums. Your ***, your riding style, all make for which bike you like the best..

If I could only have 1 bike it would be my road glide. Sure the softail is great for parades and commuting, the diavel has the most power best brakes by far, but the road glide can pretty much do it all. I can and have done 16 hour days on the road glide. That would be impossble on the diavel and would be painful on the softail..

Old 03-25-2013 | 05:20 PM
heritageblue2013
Grand HDF Member

First thing is that a Harley holds it's value compared to other brands. But that does not mean it's still worth what it was new. That said, if you have a 2012, you might do better riding it for four years then trade now. I just traded a 2008 Sportster Roadster I bought new for $9,000.00 I looked at trading it when it was one year old and only offered $7,000.00
I just traded it last week for $7,000.00 towards a new Heritage. So it was worth the wait to use it for awhile and still get 7K.
Also remember there is a high demand for Harleys, so your always going to pay top dollar at the dealer (retail) and get low dollar for trade (wholesale) most of the time.

Old 03-25-2013 | 05:37 PM
HRCH
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Hammy
Softails scrape early and often, more so than your wide glide.. My road glide handles much better than my crossbones, but for actual fast cornering you would need sportbike, or a xr1200, my sport bike is a diavel..
Do yourdself a favor go test ride the bikes you think you want and test ride them the way you will be riding them. Don't bother asking a bunch of know it alls on the forums. Your ***, your riding style, all make for which bike you like the best..

If I could only have 1 bike it would be my road glide. Sure the softail is great for parades and commuting, the diavel has the most power best brakes by far, but the road glide can pretty much do it all. I can and have done 16 hour days on the road glide. That would be impossble on the diavel and would be painful on the softail..
My Ninja is for those straight highway runs or cornering. It will just take time for me to get use to riding a Harley. I have only owned a Harley for a year. How I wish I got into Harley-Davidson years ago. I really like the quality. I didn't test ride any Harley Bikes, the weather has not been great here. A little snow today.

Originally Posted by heritageblue2013
First thing is that a Harley holds it's value compared to other brands. But that does not mean it's still worth what it was new. That said, if you have a 2012, you might do better riding it for four years then trade now. I just traded a 2008 Sportster Roadster I bought new for $9,000.00 I looked at trading it when it was one year old and only offered $7,000.00
I just traded it last week for $7,000.00 towards a new Heritage. So it was worth the wait to use it for awhile and still get 7K.
Also remember there is a high demand for Harleys, so your always going to pay top dollar at the dealer (retail) and get low dollar for trade (wholesale) most of the time.
I got a trade in value for my bike, 12K. I paid about 14K for it last spring.
Not too bad (I think) As I said, if the Breakout (non CVO) was out when I was in the market, I would have bought it then.

Old 03-25-2013 | 05:50 PM
HRCH
Cruiser

So, the verdict......I took the dive. My wife left work early and we drove up to my local dealer. This dealership is really nice, not pushy. We have been doing business here for about a year. We buy all our stuff from them. So, with my wife checking out the bike and telling me to get it. I decided to do it. I will be taking her home on Thursday. I need to remove all that I added on my Wide Glide. (pipes, fuelpak, foot pegs, seat, back rest, extra lights,) I'm a little sad to say goodbye to my first Harley. However, this is the first time that a Softail model that I really liked was available and not discontinued. (Deuce, Rocker C, Nightrain)

My wife told me how she wish she could ride the new Breakout. But she knows she is just too small to ride anything larger than the Sportster.

I don't know if I got a killer price, we really were not looking at beating them down on price. We paid them what they wanted simply because this dealer has always treated us exceptionally well. Without asking, the dealer waived the prep fee and threw in the first 1000 service. They also knocked off a little off the bike. We figure you get what you paid for. This dealer is local and they treat us very well, therefore they deserve to make a good profit.

This dealer even did some warranty work on my wife's Sportster and it didn't matter that we didn't buy it from them. Since the beginning, we always got 15% off parts and accessories, this was all done without asking, I guess they could see that we were there at least once a week.

HRCH

Last edited by HRCH; 03-25-2013 at 06:03 PM.
Old 03-25-2013 | 07:19 PM
flyin1200
|
Tourer

Originally Posted by HRCH
I will be taking her home on Thursday.
HRCH

For real though, congrats on your purchase! I am a little jealous

Quick Reply: Anyone purchase and/or ride the new Breakout yet?