Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

screaming eagle air kit?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2007 | 12:58 AM
italiano
|
Tourer
Default screaming eagle air kit?

heys guys i keep hearing that i need to put a screaming eagle air kit on my bike since im putting pipes on.what does it consist of and can i just pop in a kn filter into my stock air box?im not looking for performance i just want noise from theem pipes.im putting a power comander just to keep it running right.

Old 02-15-2007 | 03:04 AM
blackspringer
Intermediate
Default RE: screaming eagle air kit?

EFI calibrations wether they are harley, power commander, vance and hines or whatever else are really more for increased air flow than for the pipes themselves. If you've changed your pipes to make more noise you really should change your air cleaner. Just putting a K&N on won't do it. Those filters are better quality than stock. But what you need is more air. The SE air cleaner is the least expensive option. It's the bracket, filter and all the little parts to make it work. You may not be looking for performance, but chances are you've put a performance exhaust on your bike, it really should have this air cleaner. Hope this helps.

Old 02-15-2007 | 05:35 AM
JLOCKHART29
Road Captain
Default RE: screaming eagle air kit?

Air in,air out, more fuel to counter lean condition. Pipes w/o better intake is just noise and looks. Not saying you wouldnt pick up a horse or 2 but never know it. A properly desighned pipe allows the engine to remove spent gases at a higher rate while maintaining the proper back pressure. With pipes alone you can get rid of more air (exhaust) but with the stock restricted intake you can't get more air into engine. Thank of it like this. If you cut the bottom out of a gallen milk jug and put h20 in from the "stock" opening you can only put a 1" stream of h20 even though the bottom of jug would handle a 8" flow since you cut the whole bottom out. Unelss you inlarge the jugs opening you will never get more flow than the original jugs cap opening. Of course after increasing air flow you would need to rejet or in your case probably recal. your EFI.Bike should be fine w/o recal if all you do is pipes but I would stick in a new set of plugs and check to be safe. Also any excessive poping and I would check into recal. Don'tknow about last couple years but the oldertwin cams came pretty lean from factory.If it is carb I can help if needed but there are tons of how 2 post on this forum. If it's EFI I don't have a clue. To old to change but sure I will have to some day!!!!