Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

V & H Big Radius - Look vs. Sound

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2013, 10:30 AM
AU_Bob
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default V & H Big Radius - Look vs. Sound

Guys, I'm doing some research into upgrading my exhaust. Already have the heavy breather installed and looking at pipes now. Here's where I am, love the looks of the V & H big radius pipes on my Fat Boy Lo. I'm not into really loud pipes, want an aggressive sound, just not window rattling, waking up the neighbors loud. Question is, can I get the look I want without the ear bleeding volume? Do the baffles that come with it really work? Alternatives? Thx

Old 03-23-2013, 10:42 AM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,075 Likes on 2,558 Posts

Personally, I want the 2-2 Big Radius pipes and have heard many. They're loud but not overly loud. They have different options for baffles if someone wants to make louder or quieter.

I've been on V&H website a thousand times and they have examples of the pipes sound idling, going by the camera/mic close and far. You might go there and check it out. OR...go to a dealership, see if any bikes there have them and talk to the owners.

Why don't I have them if I like them so much? Money.

Old 03-23-2013, 10:54 AM
Motown Strag
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had these on my bike for years...they were loud, nobody wanted to ride on that side of me but they sounded so damn good.

If you go easy in and out of the neighborhood it isn't too bad.

Old 03-23-2013, 11:03 AM
SouthpawHD
Extreme HDF Member
Received 73 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by AU_Bob
...I'm not into really loud pipes, want an aggressive sound, just not window rattling, waking up the neighbors loud... Thx
Then Long Shots are not the pipes for you. I personally love the sound, but a buddy has them on his Fatty and he doesn't like them because they are too loud for his liking. And I'm pretty sure his neighbors don't like them either.

I had Short Shots on my Bob, and while I loved them, the neighbors and riding buddies did not.

Old 03-23-2013, 11:27 AM
harleyheaven
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had the V&H BR and the factory baffles sounded too "tinny" to me? I put a set of Big City Thunder Monster Baffles in them and they sounded great. Nice and deep but also pretty loud but I have had motor work and that makes some difference.

I believe V&H has a quiet baffle option but I have no experience with them nor have I heard them.

The BR is a cool pipe and sound really good IMO but they are loud.

Old 03-23-2013, 11:33 AM
ber1200c
Intermediate

The short shorts are loud enough to cross the pain threshold. Maybe he had no baffles in. Don't know.

Old 03-23-2013, 12:39 PM
AU_Bob
Intermediate

Thanks for all the responses guys. Sounds like I have limited options, absolutely love the look but sounds like any way I go they're going to be pretty loud. I'll keep up my search on how to make all of this come together. Sounds like some aftermarket baffles might be my only hope. Like many of you I ride with a great group and don't want to become the guy no one wants to ride with....

Old 03-23-2013, 04:57 PM
Koshman32
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for all the responses guys. Sounds like I have limited options, absolutely love the look but sounds like any way I go they're going to be pretty loud. I'll keep up my search on how to make all of this come together. Sounds like some aftermarket baffles might be my only hope. Like many of you I ride with a great group and don't want to become the guy no one wants to ride with....
With loud pipes and riding in groups, you just get used to either riding in the back of the pack, or ride on the right side so you have no one on your exhaust side, and if the person behind you finds it too loud, they can back off a bit.
I have them on my Night Train, with the stock baffles, and I do a lot of riding with someone who has them on his Rocker, and when we're cruising on the highway at 120 km/h, I don't find them that loud when sitting behind him.
If you get on the throttle, then they get loud!

Old 03-23-2013, 07:21 PM
Rocker_Dan
Road Warrior
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Guys, I'm doing some research into upgrading my exhaust. Already have the heavy breather installed and looking at pipes now. Here's where I am, love the looks of the V & H big radius pipes on my Fat Boy Lo. I'm not into really loud pipes, want an aggressive sound, just not window rattling, waking up the neighbors loud. Question is, can I get the look I want without the ear bleeding volume? Do the baffles that come with it really work? Alternatives? Thx

Keep them & try these....

http://www.smartpartz.com/SPZVHBR.html

Old 03-24-2013, 09:31 AM
Sbell1
Cruiser
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Rocker_Dan
Keep them & try these....

http://www.smartpartz.com/SPZVHBR.html
Interesting.

Quick Reply: V & H Big Radius - Look vs. Sound